i need a job

Discussion in 'Help with Life' started by 61, Sep 10, 2013.

1. 61 No. B

Okay so less of an emotional thread and more of an "I have no idea what I'm doing and desperately need help" thread.

So I need a job. Like, bad.

My parents wanted me to apply at my school, and I wasn't loving the idea but I was going to do it anyway because it seemed easier than applying to somewhere else. Long story short, the deadline for that has come and gone, so that's not an option. So I'm left applying to other places and since I have zero experience with that, I'm kinda lost.

At some point during the summer I applied to Best Buy and their response was basically "lolno." I guess having no work experience is kind of a big deal to some people.

I've been saying for along time that I kinda want to work at a book store if that's at all possible, and there's a Books-a-Million in my city so I guess I could apply there. I plan on doing that but my Dad said if I worked at a place like that I might/probably would be working a lot during breaks, like Christmas and stuff. I mean yeah, but I need money and at this point if that's what it takes than I'm willing. The problem with applying to that place is that I'm almost positive that I wouldn't get the position, and when I glanced over the application there was a place where you had to put a previous employer and since I don't have one that's impossible. I was looking at the requirements/description of the job and it doesn't say anything about needing experience and it's an entry level job so that tells me that I should be okay to apply at least.

Anyway, all I'm asking is for advice/useful information from people who know more about this than me. Less on the specifics of any given place and more of a general "this is what you should know when applying for a job" type of stuff, though anything would be appreciated.

2. Iskandar King of Conquerors

Well, I would say first and foremost: Don't be picky about where you want to work. I mean, you can narrow it down, like if you wanted to work in food or not. That's what I did when I was applying for jobs, since it still leaves a lot of places open. But when you're looking for someplace, you just want a place you can either feel comfortable, or some place you can get used to. Also, about what your dad said working on breaks and such, that's going to happen with most, if not all places you apply to. It's actually kind of hard to find a place to work, even professionally that gives you full breaks off. They'll give you stuff like Christmas and Thanksgiving off, sure, but any place that's an entry level job of sorts and whatnot, you're going to be working most times when others have off.
    Plus, when applying, while having work experience does help, make sure you're applying to places, even if they don't have a "Now Hiring" sign. Having that gives you more of a chance, but a lot of places also take older people, or people who are good with others, and especially those that have some kind of work experience, above all else. If you've done any kind of volunteer work, put that in the application though. Not like a job, but put it as something you've done that might qualify you for the position. When I was looking for a job in Colorado, while I was only 15/16, I put it in and managed to get interviews. Didn't get a job, but people are looking to hire those that have some kind of experience.
    When you do get an interview as well, make sure you dress nice. Try and have good pants, like khakis or such, maybe a polo shirt, and good shoes. A lot of people might go in to interviews dressed normally, but if you're dressed nicely, they'll see that you aren't just going in there for whatever reason, even if it's an interview. Trust me, you want to look the part as well. Even if you're only applying to a simple restaurant. And when they ask you question, you'll want to answer with nice, clear answers. Don't answer with something like "Yeah, sure I can do that"; give it a nice tone that you respect who you're talking to, and make them, as well as yourself, if you really mean to get a job, believe that you can do what they're asking, and not just take your time. A business needs everyone to work their hardest, no matter what they do.

3. 61 No. B

The only places I am absolutely not willing to work are fast-food places and convenience stores.
    He meant like on actual holidays, not the full week(s) long break.

4. Iskandar King of Conquerors

Well, again, some places will still have you work. A lot of work places, including retail, will have you work close to Holidays, and even on Labor day for some (I lucked out having an off day on Labor Day, but I saw on the schedule a few people were working at Target that day), but the major Holidays that I said won't be that big of a deal. But things like Halloween, and probably even New Years, depending on where you manage to find a place, they'll have you work on those holidays. It sucks, but they're the kind of places that need to stay open. But the convenience stores are some of the places that you'll have more of a chance, but you can also try places like Target, Walmart, Pet Co, etc. Those kinds of places aren't just convenience; like in Target, I work on the hard-lines, which is stuff like Toys, Domestics, and all that stuff, but not all of it is going to be the annoying convenience store items.

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

Halloween and New Year's aren't really holidays, just FYI. :)

But yes, just apply for everything you can; if you do get an interview, be sure to sell yourself. It's what my mom tells me.

6. Misty gimme kiss

Unfortunately for most people your age, you're going to end up working holidays. it's actually not totally bad. I'm not a holiday person myself so I don't care any which way, but for most jobs, you'll be paid time & a half on holidays. It's not all bad.

Now is a good place to be applying to pretty much any shop as they'll want to begin their holiday hiring (usually mid to late October through November). Even if you are hired as a seasonal worker, and they don't choose to keep you after their busy time ends, that's still money you've made and work experience to put on future applications.

If it's a smaller place, follow up your application with a resume. Speak to a manager when you hand it in, too. It'll get your face and name in their head, and show them you're really serious about getting a job there. And think about any kind of work you've done and consider whether it could be counted as previous employment--even something like babysitting counts.

Vivid Green covered a lot of other good stuff. Basically just don't give up or get discouraged.

7. Anixe Hollow Bastion Committee

Yeah, I've learned the tough way that the food service/hospitality industry is always gonna be a b*tch. There are unpredictable hours you might be staying, people you'll dislike, and overall get treated and sometimes paid like crap. It was my first job, so I definitely have a set level of expectations as I look for my next job this season.

One thing that will definitely get you on track are cover letters. It's basically introducing yourself and highlighting what skills/abilities you have. It'll help you stand out from the rest as the hiring team looks through dozens of resumes and applications. It took me at least 3 hours to write up my cover letter, but it's definitely worth the struggle and perfection. It reflects the effort you would put into work as you put into the cover letter.

I haven't worked for that long cumulatively (5 months total), but this is the advice I hope will be found useful.