Hunter x Hunter - MANGA

Discussion in 'Anime and Manga' started by Jin, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Jin うごかないで

So, I expect we've all watched or atleast HEARD of Hunter x Hunter, a classic Anime back in 1999, now it's had 4 years running of a remake anime. If you've never heard of Hunter x Hunter

is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated byYoshihiro Togashi. The story focuses on a young boy named Gon, who discovers that his father, whom he was told was dead, is actually alive and well. He learns that his father, Ging, is a world-renowned Hunter: a licensed profession for those who specialize in fantastic pursuits such as locating rare or unidentified animal species, treasure hunting, surveying unexplored enclaves, or hunting down lawless individuals. Despite Ging having left his son with his relatives in order to pursue his own dreams, Gon departs upon a journey to follow in his father's footsteps, pass the rigorous Hunter Examination, and eventually find his father. Along the way, Gon meets various other kinds of Hunters and also encounters the paranormal. The original inspiration for the manga came from Togashi's own collecting hobby.

for those of you who've watched it, do you think Kishimoto inspired some of Naruto's backstory and foundation from Hunter X Hunter's story, there's a lot of controversy of Kishimoto ripping off togashi but I don't like to say that because everyone needs to be inspired by something.

2. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

Yes, I am familiar with Hunter x Hunter. I watched the 1999 anime, and am caught up with the manga (and currently waiting for the latest hiatus to end).

If Kishimoto ripped Togashi off, it doesn't matter much; Togashi's characters are far better fleshed out. Execution matters. Case in point: Although Kurapika shares Sasuke's Last Of His Kind backstory, vengeance on the Genei Ryodan-- whilst undoubtedly very important to Kurapika-- does not become his defining characteristic thereon, insofar as it doesn't dominate over preexisting values he once possessed such as loyalty and his esteem for dear friends. I am not in the habit of reading/watching Naruto, but I'm quite sure Sasuke threw dignity and all else out for a shot at revenge. He's weak and not at all an empathetic character, not like 'pika.

3. Jin うごかないで

Yes, all of that but also not only that but Sasuke had barley any character progression until now, sure his motives changed and all but he's not matured much as a character. anyways aside from the Kishimoto inspiring from Togashi. You think Togashi might bring HXH back this year? he's been on hiatus for, 2 years now I think?

4. Patman Bof

It' s more like both are inspired from Dragon Ball (99% of shonens are). Kishimoto himself openly admits it, he says his main inspiration sources are Dragon Ball and Akira.

What I like about HxH is all the games and the rules it throws at us, no wonder Gon literally landed on a video game. But although it' a strength it can be a weakness at the same time : jumping back into it after a long hiatus can be quite confusing if you don' t first remind yourself what the current game is about.

5. Jin うごかないで

I think these long Hiatus' that Togashi always drops back into after a while is what inspires him to keep writing in honesty, from what I've heard he's been using the Hiatus to play RPG's as he is a huge fan, currently FF XIV ARR, but I think that's what makes him a good writer because he gives himself a break so that he doesn't start running out of motive but that's just my opinion.

6. Patman Bof

Or maybe he just uses that time to sail a few naughty moons. From what I' ve heard the guy is pretty much in a position to work only when he actually feels like it. Not sure it helps his creativity that much, but I sure wish I could do the same. XD

7. Jin うごかないで

Hunter x Hunter is very popular, don't forget that he also made YuYu Hakusho this is probably why as well, even when he's not publishing he's still making profit I guess, especially from the popularity of both HXH and YYH being classic Anime and manga not only that but both being huge Shounen Jump Weekly titles. it would be a life of luxury though to live like him.

8. Patman Bof

Is the HxH series that much of a classic ? I mean it' s been on French TV but that was a few years ago, not back in 99. And btw, 1999 ? I feel so old right now. I' ve never read/watched YYH but back in the Dragon Ball days it was said to be the second tier.

So yeah, he' s probably super wealthy. Japan is kinda weird that way, it' s the only (?) country where drawing comics can get you in the top ten wealthier people list, but you' ll barely be given holidays so all you can do with all that green paper you earned is hoard it. Awesome.

The Franco-Belgian comics time constraints and formats would probably suit him much better.

9. Jin うごかないで

Well, the dub probably took a few more years probably around 2002-2003, the manga came out in 1998 and then the anime 1999-2001 within japan of course and a lot of people I know call it a classic with YYH, sort of the way some people now would call Soul-eater and FMA a classic but I guess it's just the way you define the word to yourself.

and I guess it's all to do with popularity, but someone like Oda author of One piece even though I don't ready one piece, shounen jump weekly right now holds 55% of it's profit from publishing one piece, if that stopped Shounen jump would be at the brink of financial collapse, I believe togashi is in the middle his manga IS popular thats why they've kept HXH as a shounen jump weekly title but it's not that popular that they rely on the sales for it plus this is a habbit by togashi anyways, my point is You could take a holiday off from being a manga creator whenever you want it just depends on your Mangas popularity and sales positions