Going to Bed When Not Tired

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Amaury, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

My mom and I always get into an argument when I stay up late and I have to drive later because she says I need sufficient sleep, and I don't. I could stay up all night one night (I obviously won't overdo it) and drive just fine.

Anyway, sometimes I oversleep, which means I won't feel tired until later in the night, and I use this in my argument, but she says it doesn't matter, and I think it does. For example, I went to bed around 3:00 AM (PDT) yesterday and I didn't fully wake and get up until around 10:00 AM (PDT), and right now it is 2:25 AM (PDT), and I don't feel one bit tired. I have to drive later today, and my mom wants me to get sleep, but how can I if I don't feel tired?

What are your guys' thoughts?

2. Antidote Façade

I don't see the problem. As long as you yourself still feel like you're getting sufficient sleep, then why would it matter?

Everyone is different. What may seem like a little to some is a lot to others.

My sleep patterns as of late are very erratic (though I've always been a bad sleeper) and sometimes I only get a few hours, yet I feel fine.

I see where your mother is coming from- she's just worrying like most mothers would as it's not considered "sociable" hours to most, but what can you do?

(Btw you posted this topic twice lol)

3. 61 No. B

Driving without sleep isn't safe and you should get sleep, but in your case you're getting the same amount of sleep just at a different time. As long as you don't have to wake up early and drive, there's nothing wrong with it. And even though driving without sleep is bad, it's not as though you absolutely couldn't do it, and it's only really a problem if you've gone a long time without it. I've driven after getting little sleep in one night and had no problems. You just have to be careful as always.

Tell your mom you're a 22 year old man and are capable of making decisions on your own.

4. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Unless there is an actual reason to stay up to ridiculously late hours, then you "shouldn't". You could say that's not the case but you are the one asking for advice.

Also driving without proper rest is horribly irresponsible. If you were per say to get into an accident while tired behind the wheel, you would be held fully accountable for that. But hey, staying up late at night is fun and totally worth the risk.

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

Server issues. @Ienzo was kind enough to delete the duplicate.

Yeah. Typically, I usually go to bed between 11:00 PM and 1:00 AM, but sometimes I just end up staying up late (or early, depending on how you view it), most of the time intentionally, though there are times where I actually just lose track of time if I'm doing something.

As for sleeping, I can go as low as four hours of sleep and be fine and wide awake all day (e.g., going to bed around 2:00 AM and waking up around 6:00 AM), though I only got three hours of sleep one day (the day I went to bed around 4:30 AM) and did just fine. Additionally, I have alarms set between 6:00 AM and 6:20 AM on my current and old cell phones, though right now I usually get up around 7:30 AM when my mom wakes me up because she has to go to work at 8:00 AM on the weekdays, and I take her, and because I'll go back and forth a lot between hearing the alarms and waking up and snoozing or not hearing the alarms and not waking up.

I don't think it's really that. The problem is that it's her car.

Not really asking for advice, just opinions.

You could also be held fully accountable if you had gotten plenty of rest and got into a wreck. And even if you got into a wreck when you were running on lack of sleep doesn't necessarily mean that lack of sleep was the cause.

6. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

But adding in another factor to make your driving unsafe isn't cool.

7. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Sleeping at odd hours isn't that much of a problem, but our bodies are built to sleep at night when it is dark because our brain produces more melatonin in the dark. Your current pattern is not so bad.

Accountability shouldn't be the issue regardless. You could seriously hurt someone or yourself if it came to an accident.

8. Amaury Legendary Hero

I never said it was cool, just it could not even be a factor.

9. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Yes but because there is a chance that it could be one, that is enough of a reason not to do it. It's the same as drinking, you could get into a car crash while wasted and it not be connected to the alcohol at all, but does that mean you are just going to take the risk?

10. Shika93 Merlin's Housekeeper

A person can sleep 4 hours per days and don't feel tired. For me, when I have to wake up early, I sleep 5 hours and I don't feel tired the evening. I think it become a habit.

Driving requires attention and if you're tired this attention is less and giving a rise to accident or worse. Maybe you think you're not tired, but your brain it is! With sleep, brain can clean itself from toxins and consolidate memory
    Just wait. You'll fall asleep.

11. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

A person can sleep only two hours total and feel more rested than if they slept eight hours using a polyphasic sleep pattern, but these things are very difficult to train and are not recommended.

12. Amaury Legendary Hero

Indeed. I know many people have said that if they sleep more than eight hours, they feel more tired than if they had just slept eight hours, for example.