Fugitive Pieces

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Plums, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Plums Wakanda Forever

I'd be surprised that there was no thread about this, but I only ever heard of this book this school year. :'D

Anyway, brief synopsis:

Jakob Beer, a young Jewish child in Poland, lives with his Mother and Father, as well as his fifteen year old sister, Belle. However, his life is drastically changed when Nazi soldiers charge his home and kill his parents and beloved sister. Narrowly escaping, Jakob comes into the care of a Greek archaelogist, Athos, who takes him in as his own. Whilst moving around constantly to evade the Nazis, Jakob must weed through his inner turmoil to redefine the life he once had, which he seeks to accomplish through his various writings. Fololwing this is the story of Ben, a boy whose parents survived the Holocaust and has become interested in the writings of Jakob...

This book is simply gorgeous. The author, Anne Micheals, writes her narrative in a way that reads just like poetry, and the sentences seem to melt like butter when recited. Although, there are a few questionable scenes, I have to say I adore this book to no end.

Has anyone else read it? Your opinions/thoughts?