Kingdom Hearts III Fandom vs Reboots

Discussion in 'General & Upcoming Kingdom Hearts' started by Dravoo, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Dravoo Traverse Town Homebody

It's late, I finished a thing, hopefully I see something interesting. Goodnight. ewe"

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  2. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

I'm hoping for a soft reboot post-KH3. The plot's become pretty jumbled over the past fifteen years, and we need a fresh start, but it can be done without erasing what's come before. Like, for example, time travel can still exist and be possible in this hypothetical reboot, but we don't need to use or see it, you know? We just need a new story thread, possibly new characters, less clutter, and use of fewer contrived plot devices. Having the story all mapped out in advance instead of making it up as it goes would go a long way to helping this, in my opinion.

3. Dravoo Traverse Town Homebody

Now there's an opinion I hardly ever see! Perhaps the best compromise yet. How would you perform this soft-reboot? I know both Marvel and the Sonic Comics have done it to varying degrees of good to bad.

4. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

It wouldn't be hard. You just start up a new, simpler story arc post-Dark Seeker Saga, and you're set. New protagonists optional, but recommended. The old characters (at least, whoever survives the Dark Seeker Saga) can definitely show up, but would take a backseat to the new characters.

5. Zgermanguy Destiny Islands Resident

there is a way to satisfy both sides and that would be to have a parallel universe, meaning a reboot universe and one that continues what has been established comics do it all the time when they want to explore alternative Ideas withouth harming the main universe. Or to take another exampel the command and conquer series did it with red alert (kind off) having another story going on that has absolutly nothing to do with the rest. Alltough there will be people who wont like that either but what you gonna do?

6. Dravoo Traverse Town Homebody

That's more of a fresh start than a soft reboot. I'm not arguing the idea though, this would be a fantastic and simple way to begin fresh. It's hard to go wrong with a new generation or lead imo. I'd love some new characters not based on a previous ones model, with actual build up as a character. It still kinda saddens me Chi is the first in a while to have such things with their Ephemer and Skuld...

There'll always be people that don't like something but the beauty of your idea is that they can just stay with the old universe and it's stories. A parallel universe could work well, you could start over or you could even do what the Godzilla films in Japan do. You take the first entry (in this case KH1) and start a new line of story from there. Several parallel universes, each just have the same starting point.

What do you think of a soft reboot option? If done right, these can clean clutter but keep established things. Sonic Comics done such a thing a while back, Universal shift, but main cast remembers. Granted that wouldn't work for every story but creative ideas like that are the plus of soft reboots, you inject new to keep what's left of the old going.

7. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Isn't that basically what a soft reboot is? lol

8. Dravoo Traverse Town Homebody

If we were to be technical, it's what an actual reboot or a soft-reboot is. It's just another kind of soft-reboot came to mind when you mentioned it. xD
    Yours works too though, a new cast could work so long as it doesn't tie itself to the things that made a mess before.

9. Zgermanguy Destiny Islands Resident

to start with KH1 that I like, even though I am the überfan how always trys to defend even the most silly and complicated plot details I would be curious to see were else the story in a much more simpel way could have gone, like what was that world they ended up at in the end?Could we fight all the disney bad guys In a heartless form. Could Ansem (who in this case would be the only ansem) have survived or would there be other researchers of darkness
    And its a good Idea to start from KH1 not only because its the most solid of the games story wise but because it will always be my favorit of them all for the Impact it had on me in my young age.

10. Dravoo Traverse Town Homebody

You could even apply the parallel universe idea to this option. Like, KH1 could've been a point in which many possible paths branched. The current story being the result of Xehanort's and the Master of Masters time f*ckery. The alternate world being the result of this never happening.
    Hell you could even use the current story as an excuse for this. Like, perhaps, the Unchained Realm in Chi's season 2 created an alternate universe in which Xehanort never surfaced.

KH1 is the most solid storywise, but it's also the simplest. They didn't know if a sequel would happen at the time so Kh1 had a more solid foundation in contrast to the current story that is retroactively building a mythos. Plus it'd start over without losing entirely everything, Sora would still have Riku, Kairi, his disney friends, etc. :3

I will admit though, ideas I've seen on the net for KH1, but with Kairi as the lead, have had interesting ideas as well.

11. Fearless A good and beautiful child

Thisssssssssssssssssss. This this this this this x36,000.

Kairi is one of my all time favorite characters, and would love it if we could have her for a lead. One of my favorite AUs on the internet is just KH1 with Kairi as the protagonist, and let me tell you I would pay big money for it. One of my favorite blogs is just a Kairi as they keybearer, Riku's a prince, and Sora falls to darkness story. (Here's the blog, if anyone's interested. I'd suggest reading it in chronological order <3 )

It's not something I think would feasibly happen, but goddamn would I love it if it did.

12. Dravoo Traverse Town Homebody

Oh oh! I have two friends on tumblr that showed me this one before. It's good.

One of my favorite ideas was similar but simpler. It was making Kairi lead but changing Sora to Kairi's younger sister or replacing Sora with Namine so she could act as the 7th Princess of Heart as well as be a focal point for Kairi and Riku/Sora in the story. Kairi's sister, but someone Sora/Riku wanted to save.

Basically KH1 but with slight alterations. Basically like this idea but with even less changes. In either case, I love ideas like these since it'd be a fun AU they could do for games but also let us see how Kairi would react to Sora's journey.

Another one of my more favorite ideas was an art I seen on tumblr. I can't find it but the idea was basically Aqua comes out of the Dark Realm during KH1 and then the games become her series instead.