Family and School interlink in the worst way (sometimes)....

Discussion in 'Help with Life' started by tSG1, Oct 26, 2008.

1. tSG1 Chaser

Well.... I'm posting this on a request of a friend(F)....

Okay.

"Well, i've started having family problems
    When we went to the Parent Teacher Conference (where the parents and teachers talk about the students) in biology, Teacher showed his parents his book and said 'Oh, F's work is not up to standard. His work is messy and rushed. Look at this book (A's book). It's such a good example, the work isn't rushed, and it's really tidy.' This caused my Dad to think that 'oh, he's not doing so well, he should be moved to another school'. Then, when we got home, he said 'if you don't do well, then we will move you out of the school and into a harsher one'. The real reason i couldn't do the work properly was because i have friday prayers (muslim religion) and i have to rush my work to get there fast (we end school at 2:40 and he needs to be there at like 3. Biology is last thing on Friday as well) and it's unfair because all the other people get longer time, while i don't (such as A)"

"i tried to tell my dad about it, but he wouldn't trust me. He also won't listen to my mom even though i tried. But, my mom understand what happened and she's forgiving. I seriously don't know what to do"

Any comments i can give back to the guy?

2. Repliku Chaser

That does suck and since I doubt person F here could get out of going to religious services that night, what I'd suggest is some strategic planning. He/she may want to ask the teacher ahead of time, say on Wednesday, what his assignments are for the remaining two days. Then go ahead and try to do those things at home ahead of time. Teachers usually do keep a schedule of work they need to do in class and also homework they plan to assign.

If the teacher doesn't exactly 'know' for some reason, perhaps you can just do some extra work that you see in the next chapters you are reading in Biology. That way you can write out the answers in your notebook ahead of time and not be slammed with one half night, due to not being around, where you have to play catch up. Either way, by asking the teacher or trying to predict future homework early on in the week, you can make it work out. I played in sports and so often had to do this in order to not run out of time or be swamped on specific days. Sometimes still, I'd catch myself having to stay up really late or doing homework at the beginning of classes, but in the end, I think this is the best suggestion I can give. There's no real way the teacher is going to give you less homework since you aren't the only one who has extra curricular things and if you don't take the time, it would suck if your dad won't listen to you or your mom. I wish you luck with this and hope it helped at all.

3. tSG1 Chaser

Thanks. I'll tell him that!