Fail0verflow PS3 Tools, GeoHot METLDR Root Key, GT5 Decrypted!

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Kubo, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Kubo Kingdom Keeper

Fail0verflow PS3 Tools, GeoHot METLDR Root Key, GT5 Decrypted!
    Read the full article here
    "PS3 DOORS ARE NOW OPEN!"-article:
    http://psx-scene.com/forums/f6/geohot-here-your-ps3-root-key-now-hello-world-proof-74255/

Looks like it's the end of the Sony monopoly.

2. daxma Hei Long: Unrivalled under the Heavens

These guys a complete idiots. For one thing they go on about how easy it was to crack considering it took them 5 years to do so and they have even said they have only 90% of it cracked. Second, they probably aren't the hackers that did it, simply because when Sony see's the video they made they will get locked up and the real hackers will go off Scott free.

3. P Banned

Hacking isn't illegal though. Sony can't do anything to them.

4. Kubo Kingdom Keeper

Oh really, daxma? You have anything to backup your points?

5. Majik Chaser

lol no
    It didn't take them 5 years, it took them less than 12 months. Team fail0verflow started hacking the PS3 when Sony removed Linux support. Not the real hackers? If you look around the net they have released more then enough proof to show that their work is legit.

Actually, reverse engineering(hacking) copyrighted code is indeed illegal. Though I have no clue if their hypervisor and other .self files are copyrighted (I would assume so?). But what's done is done. Sony could probably send them to court, but it would do no good. The PS3's keys are on the internet already.

Also before it is said, they cannot patch this. The keys are hard coded.

6. libregkd -

7. P Banned

8. Janime6 the truest queen of them all

I love geohot. <3

Not really much I can say though. Now I (we) wait for a way to hack PS3 games, cause as far as I know there isn't a way yet. Cause of the signed junk I assume. Need to jailbreak it too. I'm happy about this, I guess. :B

He probably could boost their security.​

9. libregkd -

10. Janime6 the truest queen of them all

11. Kubo Kingdom Keeper

Give it a few months, and it will happen.

12. Always Dance Chaser

No, you don't need to jailbreak. That's the whole point. The PS3 is not "Hacked" persay by this, what happened is, the hackers were able to find the keys that makes sony software run. What this means is any homebrew can run on an unhacked console as if it were real Sony code.

PS3 games cannot be signed because the hackers are against piracy and did not release the keys to sign games. They only made homebrew possible. However this can easily be worked around. All one would have to do is make a custom firmware that doesn't check for keys at all, and sign it as an official Sony firmware. It's just a matter of time.

13. Janime6 the truest queen of them all

That's what I was thinking, since the keys did that. How would one get the homebrew things onto the PS3? USB drive?

I'm still not so sure what jailbreaking does to a PS3, really. What it enables/etc. Backups and such? Of course I have Version 3.55 (I think) and it seemed like too much trouble to try and jailbreak it anyway.​

14. Always Dance Chaser

Homebrew can be installed like any .PKG file now. I'm not sure if it's with a usb drive or not.

Jailbreaking activates the hidden service mode which can run unsigned games (Many games don't even run, howver). It allows the user to backup their own games onto the PS3 (and by extension, play pirated versions).

15. Majik Chaser

http://kotaku.com/5727255/sony-thinks-it-can-stop-ps3-hacks

Seems they have a plan. I'm interested to see how they do this since those keys cannot be changed. Maybe they are gonna just update the apploader (which is used for decrypting games) for newer games similar to what they do with the PSP? They should know that route just stalls the inevitable though...

Or they could write new keys via software instead of hardware and make a gigantic patch to
    1) detect the game (with the old keys)
    2) write a new signature in RAM using new keys that could be done via software.
    3) see if it can be decrypted properly with the new key.

But, that being done to every piece of software up till this point in quite time consuming, but I would think Sony will do what they can to keep piracy at bay.

Oh well, only time will tell what their method is.
    On a side note, it seems geo has removed the signature check. (most likely through a CFW)

16. Kubo Kingdom Keeper

Well what did you expect them to say? "Sorry, but we can't do anything"?

17. Majik Chaser

Thats pretty much the position they are in. We have full access to the console. Now CFW will come since we can sign our own firmware. So whatever they have planned, no lie, I doubt its gonna work. Since we can run our own software similar to prx's on the PSP, whatever protection scheme they have planned will just get busted via hackers own software (for example: if they run CRC checks on the signature of games to check if the game is a un-modified form, we could simply write a app to force a certain CRC check back to them). They did this (and still are) with the PSP.

For the lack of nerd talk, my point is, now that we have access to our console (and firmware) whatever they do, we can counter it.

18. Guardian Soul hella sad & hella rad

I'm sure Sony will stop this PS3 hacking just as ably as they've stopped people from hacking the PSP. Oh wait...>_>

I'm also very curious as to what can be done with the PS3 if it had CFW.

19. BraigX Merlin's Housekeeper

In the end they made it.Now a lot of news are popping up about homebrews and the custom firmware.And sony for the first time said something about those hacks.Probably the judgement day will come soon.Even if my PS3 is clean i'm a bit scared :\

20. P Banned

What sort of judgement day? They can't do anything except ramp up security, and even then, crackers will crack it.