Etrian Odyssey series

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by . : tale_wind, Jun 17, 2014.

1. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

I was about to post this thread in the spam zone but then was like lol what am i doing

I don't know a whole lot about the series, but in browsing 3DS games a while back (before I got my 2DS), I discovered Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl and thought it looked interesting, and also noted the good reviews it got, so I tucked it away in the corner of my mind. Cut to yesterday, when I discover it has a demo on the eShop, download it, and realize that wHOA THIS GAME IS AWESOME

Apparently, the series has four main games (plus The Millennium Girl, a remake of the first game), all for the DS (I-III) or 3DS (IV, TMG). The main gameplay of the series involves traversing sprawling dungeons, manually mapping them as you go, and fighting the monsters that appear within. Also interesting is that it all takes place from a first-person perspective.

Has anyone else played any of these games? Because I really like what I see so far.

2. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

I have EO IV and Untold. Ordinarily I'm not a fan of grid-based dungeons or first-person combat perspective, but these are all right. They aren't excellent for it but they make up for it in other areas. It'll be hard to go to the others from Untold though, that game adds a lot of features of convenience like automatic map drawing and quick travel between floors.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  3. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Hm, I'll keep that in mind in case I ever decide to get the older games~

Also, have I mentioned that I love the music? Because I really, really love the music.

4. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

So I'm about halfway through the third stratum in Untold, and the game does not stop impressing me aaaaaaaaaaa (don't think that i don't know why you want us to stop exploring gladsheim visil i mean how do you expect me not to think you're the villain when your appearance in the intro has you in a menacing pose with glowing red eyes)

A couple of news tidbits!

Untold and IV will once again be on sale on the 3DS eShop from October 20 to November 3! In the past, these games when on sale have been marked down for over sixty percent off, so keep your wallets ready if you're looking to get into the series!

In some heavily belated news, Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard will be receiving a remake for the 3DS, titled Etrian Odyssey Untold II: The Knight of Fafnir!

[​IMG]

The game will release in Japan on November 27 this year, while a localization has yet to be announced (likely so Atlus can focus on advertising Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth, which, incidentally, uses what looks to be exactly the same gameplay as the Etrian Odyssey series). Check out a couple of trailers below!

A couple of BGM pieces have also hit the internet: [1] [2]

5. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

If you've played The Millennium Girl, you know who the Highlander is. If you havent, well. *points to avatar* But what's special about the Highlander is that he's the only member of his spear-using class in the entire series...

...until now!

When Etrian Odyssey Untold II: The Knight of Fafnir releases in Japan, there will be DLC that will allow you to use the Highlander class in Classic Mode, complete with new selectable portraits! It'll only be free for the first two weeks after release, though.

[​IMG]

Another tidbit is that The Knight of Fafnir will have eight additional save slots available if you use an SD card (though the cartridge itself will still only have one)!

The game will retain the two modes of play from The Millennium Girl--Story Mode, which will feature a brand-new plot and (preset) characters and feature voice acting and animated cutscenes, and Classic Mode, which is more of a straight remake of the original Etrian Odyssey II, with character creation and customization--as well as the difficulty levels Picnic, Standard, and Difficult.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  6. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

More details about Untold 2:
    • The demo will let you experience the game's story up to B3F of the labyrinth and have a level cap of 10, just like the demo for The Millennium Girl. It will also hold up to 99 Grimoires, while the full version will let you hold up to 400. The demo will not include the ability to switch between the remastered and original music (you're stuck with the remastered music, though that's not a bad thing), nor will it have StreetPass, QR, DLC, or ablum mode. Like most other 3DS demos, it can only be accessed up to 30 times.
    • The game will retain a few mapmaking tweaks from Persona Q--for example, the treasure chest icon will change once a chest has been opened. The game will also retain Persona Q's battle command confirmation window, though this can be toggled on or off.
    • The game will have much faster save loading and writing times.
    • During battles, you can access things like strengths and weaknesses, monster info, and elemental attributes on the touch screen.
    • The game includes a new cooking system. You can find cooking ingredients in dungeons and by defeating monsters, and then take these ingredients to the guild house to cook meals. Recipes will come in three varieties, with up to at least seventy recipes total. Some of the foods you cook can have special effects.
    • People from different districts of town can request food. Selling food to those with a taste for it will grant special effects, while selling food to those who don't like it will have negative effects. You can also expand certain parts of the town, increasing the number of people living there, and thereby increasing your food sales.
    [source 1, source 2, source 3]

7. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

YOOOOOOOO CHECK OUT THIS HECKA RAD OPENING MOVIE FOR KNIGHT OF FAFNIR

8. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Previously exclusive to Etrian Odyssey III, the Prince/Princess class has been confirmed to be playable in Classic Mode for The Knight of Fafnir!

9. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

So Atlus' Japanese site has this page, looking Etrian Odyssey-themed, and counting down to something.

Most people seem to agree that it's counting down to an announcement for Etrian Odyssey V, but only time will tell.

10. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

TWO new Etrian Odyssey games have been announced today!

Etrian Odyssey V currently has no announced platform or release date.

Etrian Odyssey and the Mystery Dungeon, a collaboration between Atlus and Spike-Chunsoft which is exactly what it says on the tin, will release on the 3DS in Japan on March 5, 2015.

11. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

More information has been released on Etrian Odyssey and the Mystery Dungeon in Famitsu magazine!

As expected, the game plays pretty much as expected by the title: It takes the character and party customization, as well as the overall setting of the Etrian Odyssey series, and merges that with the roguelike dungeon-crawling of the Mystery Dungeon series. You create your own characters from a multitude of classes and organize a party of four from them in order to traverse and explore the depths of randomly-generated dungeons. Only the leader of your party is directly controlled by you, while the other three are AI-controlled. Every time players take a turn, enemies on the floor also take a turn. Each floor of the randomly-generated dungeons will have different rooms to visit, with the overall scale of each area growing bigger and bigger the deeper you go.

Here are some screenshots, too:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[source]

12. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

After a PlayAsia leak, Atlus announced that the Mystery Dungeon crossover will come to the US in Spring 2015 (the same season as the Japanese release; incidentally, the PlayAsia leak said March, the same month) under the title Etrian Mystery Dungeon!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

THE NEW UNTOLD IS COMING TO AMERICA I'M GONNA CRY

[​IMG]

The game's English title will be Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight, and it'll hit North America this summer! By Atlus' own account, they're still working on European releases for this and EMD.

Check out the new official site for the game for some screenshots and a trailer, and this press release for some more detailed info!

14. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Etrian Mystery Dungeon and The Fafnir Knight will both be coming to Europe through NIS Europe! EMD will be released this fall, while The Fafnir Knight will hit in early 2016. Both games will receive both physical and download releases.

15. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Here are two new trailers for EO2U, one featuring the Story Mode's titular Fafnir Knight, and the other featuring the game's Classic Mode:

While there's been no official release date announced, Amazon, Gamestop, and others list the game's North American release date as August 4.

16. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

New EO2U trailer featuring Arianna, the Sovereign character from the game's story mode:

17. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

NIS America has announced that Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight will officially hit Europe on February 12, 2016! [x]

18. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

A new trailer has been released showing off The Fafnir Knight's new cooking system! Also, Atlus has finally caved and admitted that the game will indeed release in North America on August 4.

19. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

New trailer released featuring Flavio, the Survivalist character from EO2U's story mode.

20. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

A new trailer was released showing off the new system of trading Grimoire Stones in The Fafnir Knight.

Also, Atlus will be streaming some of the game tonight at 7pm ET on their Twitch channel.