Ebola Patient in U.S. Dies

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Meilin Lee, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Sad to hear, but is a wake-up call for the country to take necessary precautions against this deadly virus.

via ABC News

2. Amaury Legendary Hero

They don't think problems here will be too bad, especially considering we're better equipped for things like this.

3. Fellangel Bichael May

It does not matter how prepared a country is when it comes to a deadly virus like this. America is VERY fortunate to not be ht by any serious viruses the last decade or so, maybe the different flus and all that sort. With Ebola coming to American soil, the government needs to prepare themselves should the worst happen.

4. Amaury Legendary Hero

We made it through the swine flu and SARS outbreaks, both of which started in the US, I'm sure we'll make it through this.

5. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

[​IMG]

I don't think ebola in the US is as big a deal as people are making it out to be.

6. Styx That's me inside your head.

It's not as big of a deal as people are making it out to be, sure, but snarky images such as the one you posted are misleading regardless. You don't have to wade your finger through a patient's puke to get it, using a towel they used before you or sipping their drink can be enough. This can of course be avoided by minding your personal hygiene, but these indirect agents are often overlooked because "it doesn't live that long outside the body anyway".

7. The Twin My, what a strange duet

Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way, but in a weird way I'm glad there's so much hype because maybe it'll pressure people to keep themselves clean and healthy. Not saying it's not something that shouldn't be taken seriously, but hopefully folks will use this same caution in general now.

Though I will say I don't quite buy the zombie story that surfaced last week....

8. Amaury Legendary Hero

9. Sebax Avatar by Xerona

After the nurse getting on a plane, and not infecting anyone so far, and the only fatality, Thomas Eric Duncan, not infecting anyone in his family, there's apparently very little to worry about. Both nurses who contracted the disease are now cleared as of October 24th, 2014. One doctor coming back to New York City of all places chooses to not quarantine himself but has the money to go bowling and ride a personal taxi to and from everywhere he had to go the night before he crashed with a 100.3 fever. I do not judge this man, since he did great things by helping the people where Ebola IS a real problem. Still... NYC. I can't help it, but that scares me a little. Potential infection of the homeless, because that could pose a huge infection risk. I can't tell you how many fake stories I've seen on Facebook.

I get all my data from Reddit. Reddit.com/r/ebola is a safe haven for rational thought. It can tell you how to prepare, just in case, but it also arms you with the greatest weapon of all: knowledge. Of how to not be afraid. Of how to keep yourself safe should anything ever happen. Knowledge is good in these circumstances.

10. Fellangel Bichael May

11. Sebax Avatar by Xerona

That's right! And her little dog too. I'm sorry... I could not resist. After the Spanish nurses outrage over her dog being euthanized, the U.S. was trying to avoid outrage. So, they tested Nina's dog, Bentley, and made sure it didn't have Ebola. They played fetch with it in hazmat suits and now Nina's going back home, as well as Amber Vinson. Bentley didn't have Ebola, and animals contract things like this a lot easier than humans do.

As to why they killed the Spanish dog: they didn't perform any tests. It was right away "Better Safe than Sorry", and they didn't tell the nurse so as to not distress her while she was recovering. She recovered and became distressed, but was alive. That's the thing. On First World Soil, this thing has a pretty good running record of treatment. My worry is based in Africa. People are suffering, dying in horrible conditions, and, if you're not concerned yet, here's where it affects you: they're serving as Ebola's little natural test subjects. There's some debate on how fast Ebola is mutating, but there is one thing that's almost certain: If we don't stop it there, it can happen here with a stronger disease in the future. That's why we can't wholly shut down the airports. That's why we have to remain calm.

EDIT: Some cute pictures that improve faith in humanity:

[​IMG]