Drinking or smoking. What is more dangerous in your opinion?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Bond of Flame, May 7, 2009.

?

Drinking/smoking. What is more dangerous?

1. drinking

26.6%
  2. smoking

73.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bond of Flame I'm an alien

I personally think smoking is more damaging.

2. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

Both can be equally harmful, depending how much you smoke/drink. Smoking kills the tissue in your lungs, but drinking slowly kills your liver. It would just depend for me.

3. childofturin Why?

It depends on the context. In a car, drinking is FAR more dangerous. I feel that, overall, smoking is more damaging because it doesn't JUST affect you. Secondhand smoke is almost as likely to cause cancer as regular smoke is for the smoker. The only mitigating factor is that secondhand smokers get far less smoke into their lungs. Even so, if you were to sit downwind of a chain smoker, even without being that close, your risks would increase dramatically.

4. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

Uh, drinking doesn't JUST affect the drinker either, to use the example you used if you are in a car and lose control because of alcohol then you can end up destroying the life of someone else and their entire family. Plus the people who get violent when drunk, that has an affect on other people.

I actually disagree with you that smoking is more dangerous. I personally feel that alcohol is more dangerous. Like I said above it can cause the destruction of other families (or even your own), I mean, look at all the normal pollutants and crap in the air, I am pretty sure they aren't exactly fantastic for you.

When you have been smoking you are still in control of yourself, but when you have been drinking you can often lose that self control and you can end up getting seriously hurt. Plus your judgement decreases, I know a lot of you don't drink, but hell I have been there, when you are wasted and at that particular time there is nothing more amusing than skinny dipping in the sea (**** me that was a damn cold night) or ther various stupid ****.

Unprotected sex is more likely if you have been drinking which means that alcohol has a connection with the spread of STDs as well as unwanted pregnancies. Plus the guy you wake up next to isn't always as hawt as you remember him being the night before.

I will be the first to admit, I do love a drink, but alcohol is definitely more of a danger than smoking.

5. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Drinking. Smoking doesn't impair you.

I've drank once in my 17 years of living, but chances are I'm going to die of lung cancer.

You smoke? You get lung cancer, yellow teeth, bad breath, and you give a weaker variation of each to a secondhand smoker.

You drink? You lose your judgement, act a fool, break down your liver, can end up losing your license/life/and other people's lives, not to mention their families. You're more likley to, as CtR said in her all-knowing wisdom, have unprotected sex which can result in pregnancy/STDs/Vegas marriages. What good is it having sex with someone and not remembering it? (Well in some cases, I would understand lol)

6. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

You'll learn that one when you are older love.

7. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

I am just going to make the point that smoking is always bad for you. One puff is bad. One glass of wine is not (in fact, can be very good for you). And a glass of wine is probably equivalent to more than one cigarette.

It is all about moderation, and I can't see how anyone could smoke "in moderation".

On the point of cars, smoking has been shown to increase your chance of crashing and the law in the UK was recently changed to take this into account if there is a crash. As of yet it is not a criminal offence to smoke and drive.

Also, drink driving is a problem with the person not the drink. It takes an idiot to get behind the wheel when they know that they have been drinking.

8. Radiowave ITSA PIIINCH

Pretty much this.

Drinking has been known to actually improve heart conditions, as long as its not in excession.

9. Reisen Twilight Town Denizen

Alcohol is much more dangerous for your body and for society.

Smoking does not kill your brain cells, it just messes up your lungs. (in fact it is proven to spur brain cell growth). Smoking is not particularly hard on any specific body part, especially your lungs. However, it's important to note that smoking has not been linked to causing any form of cancer.

Alcohol has been linked to a number of disease, can cause organ damage leading up to organ failure, ulcers, cancers, etc. Smoking has been proven to be a beneficial medicine for many ailments and diseases. Smoking doesn't cause drastic "out-of-character" behavior from use like alcohol does.
    It is also impossible to overdose on Smoking, unlike the thousands of people who die from alcohol poisoning every year.

You be the judge.

10. Inasuma "pumpkin"

Smoking can't be as harmful as drinking in terms of the things it can cause.

I would elaborate, but I just forgot what i was about to say. :l

11. Asterisk NO WONT LET YOU

Smoking is a harm to yourself, Drinking is a harm to yourself and others.Drinking is my choice.

12. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

Any evidence for any of these claims?

Smoking is harmful to everyone in the room. You need excessive (as in, not in moderation) amounts of alcohol for you to do all the harm that is always touted when the dangers of alcohol are talked about.
    One person smoking in a room can fill it with smoke, thereby harming the health of everyone in the room.

13. ShibuyaGato Transformation

Hello Genius Have you EVER heard of secondhand smoke. It kills as many people if not more than drinking. Oh and FYI a little red wine actually opens your airways like cough drops.

14. Reisen Twilight Town Denizen

Ever heard of google. Do your research for once.

Also who doesn't know that Drinking leads to organ failure, ulcers, cancers.

15. Radiowave ITSA PIIINCH

...what? Smoking not particularly hard on any body part? Besides the fact you contradicted yourself, you mentioned "ESPECIALLY your lungs?"

Read what you're writing man. And while your at it, tell my dead uncle, who died from lung cancer. After being a chain smoker.

Both can cause Brain damage, and although this may be true, smoking does it a lot faster. 2 smokes and your addicted. 2 drinks and your tipsy.

16. Pezz Kingdom Keeper

They are both pretty much the same, but Smoking is definitely more addictive, which is why it's worse.

17. Reisen Twilight Town Denizen

Which means it's PARTLY true. Don't use the word Contradict if you don't know what it actually means.

Which proves my point.
    There both dangerous enough to kill you.

18. Radiowave ITSA PIIINCH

Well learn to write maybe people would understand you. PERHAPS what you said or meant to say is: "while smoking doesn't damage your brain cells, it hurts your lungs, but only a little." I mean first you started out saying smoking messes up your lungs, then you said it wasn't especially hard on your lungs...

...Which is not true. Apparently these professors had something different to say: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2006-04/ace-baa041506.php (just read the title).

But wait: here's where you **** yourself over. You said "it's important to note smoking hasn't been linked to cause any form of cancer."

In which case I gave the example of my uncle. Who had cancer. Clearly linked to smoking. How this proves your point is beyond me, but whatever you say.

Edit: Anything partially true is not true. Something is the truth, or not.

19. Peyton Goddess Of Love ♥

Well if you look at smoking and driking, just as those two things and what it does to bodies, and not in every situation. I would say smoking is the most harmful one. It damages you, and the people around you.

But irl, you have to put in into situations, and well driking mess with your brain and body, but smoking kills you slowly. So bodywise smoke is the most dangerous, but in affecting others and yourself I would say drinking is even more dangerous.

20. fadedphantom King's Apprentice

Ummm what the hell? This statement makes absolutely no sense. It hasn't been linked to any kind of cancer? Ever heard of lung cancer, which is primarily caused by smoking?

And maybe smoking a regular cigarette doesn't kill brain cells, but if we're talking about smoking in general, which I assume we are, then there are plenty of cigarettes that contain things other than tobacco that can damage brain cells.

Personally, I think that smoking is more harmful because it's much easier to become addicted to it, and, as others have said, drinking in moderation is okay. I personally don't drink or smoke, because I don't see the point in either (and alcohol tastes gross to me XP). I think that both can be very harmful to the people that drink/smoke and the people around them, but overall, I'm gonna stick with smoking for now. It's very close in my opinion though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.