Does Pathological Shyness cause School Shootings?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Laurence_Fox, Aug 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laurence_Fox Chaser

Article From Yahoo!Health

I'd like your input on this idea of 'Pathological Shyness' that this article presents. Do you agree that such a thing exists and can drive otherwise quiet, unspoken kids to murdering their peers?

.~+~.​

I for one do. Reading this reminded me how bitter I was in Junior High and High School. I got disconnected from everyone save a small group of friends which I feel kept me from bringing guns to my school.

I also feel that the part of the eye contact is true. People assume they don't want to interact. But I know from personal experience that it's because they don't know how to interact with someone. It's too easy to write off people as antisocial in this instance.

2. Repliku Chaser

I found that article to be pretty interesting concerning 'cynical shyness'. Shyness does come in many forms, but that one form is where someone is cynical and jaded, and angry because they feel forced to silence though they don't want to be that way. I can see how this can be harmful.

Also, when someone doesn't look you in the eyes, or speak to you if you are an assertive sort of person, generally it is true that the person is shy and simply doesn't know what to say. I agree with that. There are snooty people out there and people can generally figure out who they are. Those are the people that will talk to nearly anyone in their clique but will give you the 'eye' if you even go to sit at their table. They blab and you can feel they are just 'above you' in their way of thinking. However, shy people aren't going to be like that. They will have a hard time talking to anyone but the closest of peers who probably could see they were shy and took the time out to socialize with them and give them the benefit of the doubt.

I was quiet and bullied for years until 13 and then said I had had enough, and broke out into a sort of vigilante mode where if friends or people I didn't even know were bullied, I bullied right back. I had no fears and the only thing that probably saved me from doing something stupid was the fact I was extremely compassionate so teachers had me work with disabled children since I have a twin who has cerebral palsy to temper me and give me positive things to do on my breaks.

Not all people though have a lot of compassion after going through things where they feel neglected and someone who is very shy is not going to be able to voice the fact they feel rejected to anyone that matters. It may well be something to pay attention to and help kids to adjust to shyness, as well as teaching other kids and adults about how to treat someone who is shy and feels ostracized.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.