Kingdom Hearts II Display Problems with KH2 Final Mix+

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts Help' started by krawky398, Apr 20, 2012.

1. krawky398 Moogle Assistant

As noted in the title, I'm having some problems playing Final Mix+ using my my Swap Magic disc. When I try to play it on NSTC mode(which default picks, I believe, I never picked it while testing this), the display ends up cut off by the bottom of the screen, like this: (both images spoilered due to height)
    [​IMG]
    As opposed to this:
    [​IMG]
    (I'm using the English patch of it, also. I've tried the original version too, same problem.)

This is usually fixed if I play in PAL mode, but I cannot do so on my TV due to my TV not working with PAL and if I use my capture card to view my TV using my laptop, the game runs a bit slower, as PAL usually does. Certainly, I can learn to adjust to it, but it bugs me. So I figured I'd at least ask if anyone knows how to fix the NTSC problem before I give up on it.

Many thanks!

2. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

Are you US or UK? and are you trying to view it on a normal TV or that TV Viewer Program?

3. krawky398 Moogle Assistant

US, and it'll do that on both the TV or the TV Viewer. The only difference between those is that I'm able to use the PAL setting with the TV Viewer, which is what I used for the bottom picture.

4. Glen Returned from the dead

Uh, i had a similar problem with Super Meat Boy. I ran it in fullscreen mode and it just wouldn't show all of the screen (makes the game even more frustrating). I found that if i clicked on the maximise thing it fixed the problem and i could see the entire screen. Worth a shot right?

5. Misty gimme kiss

His problem is (if I'm reading right) that he doesn't want to play off of the display on his computer, because it's coming from his capture card, so there's lag.

I just did a quick Google, and this turned up. You could try their patching instructions, though, if you can play off of burnt discs. This thread had some Kingdom Hearts-specific discussion, as well as this one, though it has some unfortunate news.

I know the Kingdom Hearts games themselves don't have an X or Y positioner, but you could check if your television does. If you have access to another television, you could try that as well--see if it can play in PAL mode.

Good luck!

6. krawky398 Moogle Assistant

Yeah, I know it wasn't a problem with the capture card or anything, but if I used Media Play Classic to display my capture card, I end up having to stretch the screen upwards for the whole picture, aha.

Also, it's not related to the topic at hand, but maybe your resolution was too high? Don't mean to derail my own thread by saying something regarding it, but just saying.

Right, I looked around those threads. I'm out of blank DVDs at the moment, but the Y-Offset fix sounds like something to try when I get some. The last thread partially makes me think that it's my Swap Magic, since the OP specifically mentions that he uses a Swap Magic 3.8, like mine. The first one dispels most of the beliefs, though. The prospect in the first thread about using a code to change the Y-offset is also an idea, but sounds troublesome.

Regardless, there's not much I can do right now with those problems. I'll have to grab some blank DVDs when I get the chance to see if the Y-Offset works. But for now, I'll just get used to the somewhat lower speed from PAL being as it is. It won't be too big a problem, I hope.

The information from the threads will be something to keep on the mind, as the solution is likely in that first thread.
    So, thank you very much for the assistance! I'll have to make it a point to lurk around here in the future, as well.

7. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

8. krawky398 Moogle Assistant

Can't, as it's the video mode. Has to either be NTSC(which is US and Japan) or PAL(Europe). The Swap Magic defaults it to PAL, though, which is strange, since my other Japanese games are defaulted to NTSC.

9. Mixt The dude that does the thing

One I'm confused on here its that you talk about PAL itself being slower. It does have a lower frame rate, but it shouldn't be that noticeable. Or do you mean there is a control lag or similar due to using the capture card?

10. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

Okay. I haven't messed with my swapmagic in a good while but you have the USA Swap Magic correct?

11. krawky398 Moogle Assistant

There is a slight input lag, I've noticed, but it's nothing incredibly like when I tried to play Xbox on an HDTV (Playing Psychonauts like that = not fun). PAL I can also notice is a bit slower than what I'm used to, but then again, I haven't even left Twilight Town yet, so I can't try and see if I notice it in battle. I've always had a tendency to dwell on smaller problems, so yeah.

Yup, USA version, I believe.

12. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

It should say USA on the bottom of the disc and are you using component cables at all? The red blue and green cords.

13. krawky398 Moogle Assistant

Yup, it's USA. And yes, I use the component cables, Yellow, White, Red, though.

14. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

Those are "Composite Cables" but anyway have you tried it on all settings like NTSC, Force NTSC, Pal etc.