Help Discord Server Moderation

Discussion in 'Feedback & Assistance' started by Trigger, May 10, 2017.

1. Trigger hewwo uwu

Hey all, there's something that's been on my mind lately, and it's the decreasing activity in our Discord server. It's a huge bummer. Our server that used to always have a lot going on, tons of members talking, hanging out, posting dank memes and having fun is now just a place of casual conversation for a select few individuals.

Now it's possible that everyone suddenly got busy and forgot that our homely little server existed, but I think it's something more substantial than that. A lack of order from the moderating team. To be clear, this is not a callout post! I'm not trying to name and shame any mods for not interacting with the server, and no one expects the staff to have their eyes and ears glued to the chat, but I seldom see anyone besides Luxord or Cstar in #general. It feels like our server has become a wild west where anything goes, and I think this has caused some of our members to shy away from it.

I feel that the server would benefit from additional moderation handled by users who are around more frequently than the current team. We have a handful of people that I talk to and see on the server everyday, and if they want to help the out I don't see why it shouldn't be given some consideration.

While the most recent example of moderation being 'heavily' needed on Discord was the fiasco between Nova, Nate, and a few others, and that was quite a while ago. The fallout of that event shows a slight disconnect between community and staff. When push came to shove and the staff had to do their jobs, the amount of public outcry was rather alarming. This is where my idea comes in. It wouldn't be very practical to just 'demand' that the current staff lineup become more active in the Discord chat, a more elegant solution from there would be to take active members from the current Discord usergroup and accept volunteers from among them to moderate the chat. This handles some issues, such as:

1. It streamlines activity and moderation. These users already use the general chat casually, and since that is the case there won't be any extra effort needed to read the chat since they already do so.

2. Creates a bond of trust between those moderating and those using the chat for casual reasons. Situations tend to explode less often when a familiar face tells you to calm down or stop doing something, whereas having someone come out of the shadows can seem rather cold.

3. This allows the current staff lineup to actually focus more on the site, instead of what I can only assume is the current split focus. KHV has been kinda quiet lately.​

With all of this in mind, I'm sure at least a few active Discord users would offer to help in this way, myself included. Perhaps an open application to those who have been active could work out. Either way the current 'version' of the KHV Discord could use some fine tuning, and I would be glad to help with that in any way I can. Thank you for your time!

2. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Everything considered, this seems like a solid idea. Would like to hear from staff/any other users that have an opinion on the subject.

+1 from me so far though.

3. Fearless A good and beautiful child

I'm super down with this. I, for one, don't go into #general much, mostly because I find it too distracting when I'm working, and I know that that's an issue when users need a mod around. I feel like something like this would solve a bunch of problems in one swoop.

+1 from me!

4. cstar stay away from my waifu

This is probably a better solution for what we've been needing. A lot of staff have a particular discomfort with moderating in a chatroom setting (well, I know I do) and I'm sure there are people much better qualified for that who are already active in the discord.

I am curious though because this wasn't said: do you intend for discord moderators to only have staff related powers in the discord, or are you attempting to offer this as another position easily spotted on the site?

5. Trigger hewwo uwu

I was aiming for the Discord moderators only to have powers on the server, but if you guys were to come up with a new staff role on the site to convey this Discord specific role with minimal/no power maybe that'd be fine?

6. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

I'd volunteer for that, as long as I can remove slut from the censored word list...

EDIT: OH YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME

I honestly think these members should be more like our Minecraft mods than actual staffers unless those guys actually want to be staff, but then they could just APPLY FOR STAFF. I think of them as Twitch mods- don't control the content, just keep the naughty out.

7. Trigger hewwo uwu

Yeah, that's how I pictured it too. I only half-heartedly suggested the site role to denote "Hey, if you have a problem on the Discord, these people are here too", but chances are you already know that if you were to frequent the server enough.

8. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

So we're blue now

[​IMG]

9. C This silence is mine

Is that what you call blue?