Implemented Disable Post Merging in Spam Zone and Playground

Discussion in 'Feedback & Assistance' started by Makaze, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

I've tried to find ways around this, like ask another user to spam for me to space out the posts, but it has become too tedious so I think a review of the post merging system might be long overdue.

As a host of a time-sensitive game in the Playground, I need users to get new notifications when I update the thread. I made sure to wait a whole day before posting but it didn't matter; no one realized I posted because merging counts as an edit. Asking other users to intentionally spam post to bump my thread seems like the final sign that the system isn't doing what it was intended, at least not in these sections.

It seems silly to force post merging in these sections because:
    • Posts do not count
    • Some threads require the host to post consecutively within the same 24 hour period and notify everyone who has watched the thread or views "New Posts" of the update
    • Having another user post spam just to bump the thread without merging increases clutter
    • In cases like the above, the feature incentivizes spam rather than the other way around
    My request: Please disable Post Merging in the Spam Zone and Playground.

Alternatively, we could decrease the window for post merging to less than 12 hours instead of 24 hours. That should eliminate any problems this might cause in every section including the ones I listed.

2. Amaury Legendary Hero

Strange. Are you sure you waited exactly 24 hours or even, to be safe, just a little past 24 hours? I never had problems with my posts merging when I participated in @Llave's This Day in History thread in Discussion or when I updated my Word of the Day and Quote of the Day projects in The Playground.

3. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

It was probably slightlly before. That is irrelevant to this report, though.

4. libregkd -

The time limit for double post merging has been lowered down to 12 hours.