Television Designated Survivor

Discussion in 'Movies & Media' started by Sara, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Sara Tea Drinker

So I don't watch television much if at all anymore... But my mom was watching the news when this little commercial popped up.

Based on true U.S. Government law, there's a cabinet member taken to a undisclosed location during the time where everyone in the Executive/Legislative branch are together in one building/area. (I.E.: The State of the Union, inauguration.) That in case of a severe enough attack there would be someone who could take over as president.

This series goes into what happens if the worse does happen with the most unlikely person to be president. *has a feeling someone will insert a political joke here* And it's very well-written acted and extremely emotional. The stress going through the minds of the people is well-shown and beautifully directed. It's just the first episode, but I have high hopes.

Anyone else seen it?

2. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I haven't yet but I've been waiting for this show since I first saw an ad for it. I'm hearing good things about it so far

3. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

I watched the first episode yesterday and really liked it. It was very tightly-focused and did a good job of creating compelling characters without playing their full hand with their histories and extremes. The tension was portrayed very well, but I'm not really sure it allowed time for the horror of such an event to sink in. Maybe we'll get more of that moving ahead with the day after?

I did wonder, though, why anyone thought it was a good idea to bring the designated survivor straight to the White House in the immediate wake of a terrorist attack on Washington, DC.

4. Sara Tea Drinker

To answer your first question: My guess is that this is still the first night. Terrorist attacks this close to home sometimes take MUCH longer to sink in, especially when family members are involved. 9/11 took a few days for people to fully understand, even when you try to think of the figures involved on how many are dead. If you hear the reaction of NYC during 9/11, you'd hear many people in shock and denial on what happened. Even hours later.

I am guessing from the way that it's handled they thought it was a one-time thing. More like a small bombing like Paris and other targets compared to 9/11 where it was massive attacks on large targets. They also have severe security measures installed in the White House compared to the rest of the country. Even AA guns installed. (Before 9/11 they were installed if someone is curious.)

Though from the trailers for the rest of the season, the White House isn't as safe as they think.