Cosplay

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by . : tale_wind, May 20, 2014.

1. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Your thoughts on it, any you might be planning, any you've done recently... I just figured we needed a thread for cosplay since I haven't seen one.

I've been to only one convention ever (*cries quietly*), and at it I cosplayed the Eleventh Doctor from Doctor Who (some pics here). In the future, there are a few different ones I wanna try:

• Apollo Justice (Ace Attorney)
    • Yuya Sakaki (Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V)
    • Elsa [genderbend {Elrich}] (Frozen)
    • Roman Torchwick (RWBY)
    • Sylveon [anthro] (Pokémon)

2. LadyAzura Hollow Bastion Committee

I love cosplay! You're not alone cause I went to my first ever con on sunday and I had the time of my life. The cosplay I went as was Tamaki Suoh from Ouran High School Host Club. I wanna do a genderbend Noel Kreiss and Hope Estheim one day but right now I'm poor as poo. The next con I plan to go to, I plan to cosplay Aoi Asahina from Dangan Ronpa or if I have my Noel Kriess cosplay by then, then I'll go as gender-bend Noel. I also plan to cosplay as Lightning Farron, Serah Farron, and possibly Kirito.

3. PirateNinjaHanyou Traverse Town Homebody

I've been working on a Rosalind Lutece cosplay for Tokyo in Tulsa and Anime Fest.
    I got the jacket and the shirt, gonna' buy the tie and the shoes, and I'll just sew the skirt and the vest.
    I'm a ginger, but my hair is short, so I'm gonna' try to look for a hair extension I can use, but if I can't find one that matches, I'll just buy a wig.

The last costume I made was Burgh from Pokemon Black/White. I make my own costumes, but they're never that complex. The hardest one I've ever made was Akaito the Vocaloid, but I had a lot of help with that one.

4. LadyAzura Hollow Bastion Committee

I usually order custom-made cosplay on ebay cause of free-shipping. I eventually want to make my very own cosplay but i first I need to learn how to sew. Cx

5. Zekushion Traverse Town Homebody

I haven't done any cosplay in years, unless you count a half-attempted Clarisse la Rue for Halloween last year. I'm trying to get back into the swing of cosplay, but it's such an expensive hobby and I don't really go to conventions to do it. But I've seriously considered doing two major costumes, one for this year and one for later; I'm hoping to pull off a rule 63 Winter Soldier for Halloween this year (already making progress on the arm!) and then I'm planning to do Dream Drop Distance!Riku for a trip to Disneyland either next year or the year after.

6. LadyAzura Hollow Bastion Committee

I wanted to cosplay as KH1 Riku but since most of the cosplay I saw was expensive, I decided to stay away from it until I had enough money. Cosplay can sometimes be an expensive hobby, the other times it's not is when I have to buy accessories for the cosplay and it costs about $5-13 on it alone. Though that's just my opinion. I do believe it's an expensive hobby to have but once you get it and put it on, and go to a convention, it feels like all that spent money was worth it.

7. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

Limited experience as of now, I intend to cosplay Kitty Pryde this summer at a local con. The costume seems "easy" enough for a newbie to construct (standard X-Men costume from the '80s, yellow/black lycra bodysuit). I share her eyes, hair, and general physique so no wigs/limited cosmetics will be necessary.

I would also like to cosplay a female variant of Vance Astrovik at some point, the costume however is difficult enough that I won't do it till I garner more experience. Wish I possessed more to share, as an aside I find that finding a simple pair of plain one-colored boots is a surprisingly difficult task (may have to just paint a pair of boots one color).

As a rule of thumb I'd only cosplay D-listers or relatively obscure characters which I couldn't receive much criticism for masquerading as-- I mean, no one cosplays Astrovik for instance so even if my cosplay is subpar the "Aha!" of recognition I'd receive from those onlookers familiar with the character would make it rather worth it. Exceptions include characters who so resemble me, like Pryde, that I'd be miss not to cosplay them; it is a duty.

8. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I don't have enough friends irl that would go to a con with me right now so I don't really have much point in cosplaying at this current moment. Of course, I am dying to do it one day and have had many ideas about it. I have dressed up as the 11th Doctor for costume parties quite a bit but it never felt like a proper cosplay.

The main people I would cosplay as are Osgood from Doctor who (because the only thing I would need are the glasses and the scarf because I own everything else) because not only is she cool but she is also a representation of fans, the 4th Doctor because my hair most resembles his and he is pretty cool but I would need quite a bit for it, mostly the hat, the scarf and the coat. I have a half baked plan to teach myself to knit so I could make the scarf myself because I think it would be an interesting skill to have and I would feel much better having made the scarf myself (and it saves me £50). I would also need some jelly babies >:3

9. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

It's sad that 90% of the characters I'd like to cosplay as are female. I guess I could go as Hei from Darker Than Black. I don't really have the money or the time to attend a con though so I suppose it's a moot point. I'm not real big in the whole cosplay thing anyhow. I don't even dress up for Halloween anymore.

-Nights

10. CaptainMIG Gummi Ship Junkie

the only thing i got is the strawhat from one piece (and that barely fits me). but i wish i could cosplay, especially when the anime midwest convention is coming up.

11. Mixt The dude that does the thing

I very much enjoy seeing cosplays at cons, but I've yet to do it myself. Mostly because since it is expensive and/or time consuming I've filed it as a "go big or go home" type deal. Doesn't help that what I really want as my first would be Alphonse Elric. I've heard that armor craft is one of the hardest types of cosplay, so yeah tutorials and help out the wazoo if I ever get around to it.

12. Fellangel Bichael May

I love cosplay. Almost every year, I go to the convention center downtown to attend their weekend anime convention. As much as I want to cosplay, I have neither money nor the body to cosplay accurately T^T

13. Railos Hollow Bastion Committee

I've always wanted to cosplay, but I never have enough money to. At most, I can probably make prop weapons if I have the time, the clothes and accessories are so expensive, and hard to find or make. Now, I just go to cons, and jealously watch the people who can pull it off.

14. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

Back with low res cosplay photos.

The material I ordered for Kitty Pryde did not arrive in time, so I ended up fashioning a last-minute cosplay together the day before con. What I've learned from this experience is to place orders waaay in advance. They might guarantee 24 hour shipping, but that doesn't mean squat if they ship it to you a week after you've placed the order. True story.

[​IMG]

The design itself is simple enough, although the process was complicated as my sewing machine was broken. Everything above was hand-sewn. The cape is made out of felt, which isn't ideal (too stiff); I had to request a friend trace my body's frame beforehand so that the cape could be cut accordingly. It doesn't function like satin material where one might measure horizontally/vertically and then cut straight. So that was a pain.

The lightning bolt is composed of three layers, a yellow felt base + two layers of [somewhat transparent] gold fabric (the belt is fashioned out of the same fabric). The reason I didn't use plain yellow felt and instead chose to hand-sew all that was because the dress itself wasn't bright red but maroon and I felt the color scheme wouldn't work unless the yellow was a darker color. The gold fabric was too fragile to sew on its own unless it was attached to a base. Thus, the majority of my time was invested in sewing the lightning bolt together (it was later attached to the dress with double-sided tape).

I bought the beads for the cape from Party City-- to emphasize how last-minute this cosplay was! They attach to the top part of the cape, which is attached to the lower half via concealed pins.

LOW RES PHOTOS.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Cape was slipping in the last one. Oops.

I'm kind of tempted to retry this costume now that I have more than a day to design it. Mary's costume is so charmingly characteristic of the Golden Age. And I like wearing skirts.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014