No Thanks Chat

Discussion in 'Feedback & Assistance' started by KaiserDragon, Oct 10, 2014.

1. KaiserDragon Merlin's Housekeeper

So I heard that we used to have a chat box way back when in 2007 and it got closed down due to some drama... I was wondering if we could have it back now, its been 7 years and I think the drama could be handled in a mature and responsible manner.

2. Misty gimme kiss

We have never had an official chatroom. People have made their own chats but they were not moderated by the staff nor were they affiliated with us in any official way. The history of those chats if anything kind of works against having them again to be honest.

The subject has of course come up to have an official chat but we've decided against it for several reasons. Firstly, it's of course an added responsibility on the staff to moderate something as fast as a chat... and chatrooms tend to be prone to drama. It's a huge undertaking.

The more compelling and more important objection to it is simply that chats can draw activity away from the forums. Currently our sort of "idle chat" happens in the spam zone... I think that really can serve the purpose of any chatroom.

So basically... it's been continuously rejected overy the years and the reasons behind the rejection are still applicable.

3. KaiserDragon Merlin's Housekeeper

I'm sorry I should have made myself a little clearer, I mean a chat box, at the top of the forum, but then I suppose your reasons still hold true for even that. Oh well lol, just thought it would have been nice to chat with some people without bloating the forum spam up.

4. Misty gimme kiss

It's still a chat room really, and if anything having it hit you when you first go to the forums would encourage people even less to post on the actual forums. I don't think we really have an issue with spam since we have a dedicated section for just random stuff... and it doesn't really make sense to try to cut down on forum activity.

5. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

I can vouch for paragraph one. It's also harder to moderate things that are private. Like, I can't post piracy stuff in the SpamZone, but if I do it in a chat that's similar to facebook, now I have to worry about if I'm breaking a rule in a casual conversation? It's hard to be that conscious of a rule book with something fast like a chat. SpamZone has casual chatter threads that can move faster, the Longue exists, PM's exist, and you can always take stuff to Skype. I don't see a reason for a chat.

6. Laurence_Fox Chaser

Having been to a number of forums with chatbox features installed, I would have to say 'nay' to one on khv. A lot of drama and otherwise other stuff only labeled as crap happens. I've witnessed a lot of harassment in chatboxes directed at both site admins and members. And this was not friendly teasing, if you were wondering.

A chatbox can change the air of an entire forum. It can make it better or it can make it worse.