Cecil the Lion

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Magick, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/zimbabwe/11767119/Cecil-the-lions-killer-revealed-as-American-dentist.html

As much as I would like to bait the dentist with an expensive prostitute, lure him out of the safety of his home and shoot him with a crossbow, I can't afford a plane ticket.

I can't even condone lion hunting because of how ridiculously expensive it is and the methods used, but baiting a specific animal to leave the sanctuary of its refuge in order to kill it is a new level of sick.
    (I'm pretty sure it was specific; how many lions have black manes?).

Not to mention the local tribes revered this lion. Clearly this man doesn't have an idea of what respect for other cultures is.

2. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

This is the issue I have with it. Yeah, it's terrible and should not have happened at all, but from what I've read (Disclaimer: I have not followed this story extensively), he did everything legally that he thought he had to do. He didn't think "I'm going to kill that lion everybody loves just because I love to kill." He wanted to go hunting and these kinds of hunts tend to be orchestrated legally for a reason.
    Should it have happened? No, not at all.
    But I'm not going to fault the guy for doing a legal hobby the legal way and not being informed about what exactly he was doing. Whether or not I agree with the hobby is irrelevant, but for this guy to get this backlash over it and face a possible trial (I read his guide is definitely getting tried in Zimbabwe) is stupid.

Now, if it was intentional (i.e., he knew who he was killing and either didn't care or that was why he wanted that specific one), that changes my view entirely. From what I've read so far, though, that wasn't the case.

If anyone is wishing harm on the guy for that, they're just as bad if not worse.

The evidence for his ill intent in this tragedy is there, but it's not proof. I'm going to wait to see whether or not the legitimacy of his claims vis-a-vis the legality gets confirmed before condemning him. As it stands right now, though, all of the blame should land squarely on the guides.

3. Laurence_Fox Chaser

I am hesitant about laying judgement about the lion side of his activities. But his legal history is rather...wanting.

[ ~~~~ ]

[ Source ]

The only reason I know the man's name is because I live in the state he poached the black bear from.

From what I can tell, the lion was lured off of a protected preserve area using a carcass strapped to a car. The animal was collared and part of a study. African lions are declining in population.

[ source ]