CA Supreme Court Strikes Down Gay Marriage Ban

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Princess Luna, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Princess Luna Supreme Co-Ruler of Equestria

ALRIGHT! GO CALI!
    This makes me HAPPY. ^_^

http://www.voanews.com/english/2008-05-15-voa76.cfm

Everyone has the right to love who they choose to love, and it's great to see that Californians have realized this. Love is among two souls and gender should not matter here. Definitely hope to see the ban being lifted from USA as a whole.

2. Inasuma "pumpkin"

Cool.

I thought it was already legal. >.>; I need to keep up more on the news.

3. Repliku Chaser

I'm glad to see California do this. A major state with major population does tend to help move things along better and make more possible. Each state does have a right to decide whether to allow gay marriage or not so far. There have been attempts to nationally forbid it from going to state level but so far none have succeeded. However, if people go to a state that is not allowing gay marriage, the marriage is not recognized in their courts of law, etc.

Good going Cali. Hopefully NY will be soon as well so that it keeps the ball rolling and maybe someday the only states left that won't allow it will be where most gay people probably don't want to live any way.

4. Xephos Neko, gamer, animelover, and artist :3 *purrs*

I hear Gay people wants to do this so they wouldn't worry about getting childrens and they waste their life in just money and relax. I really don't care about this but at the same time I feel like that it shouldn't be allowed. The part that doesn't like it is my christian self.

5. Princess Snow White I feel such an isomniac.

Wait, there was a ban?
    <_<""

It's good that it was lifted.
    People should have the right to love whoever they want.

The Supreme Court shouldn't have made that ban, whenever they made it, it caused problems to many people.

6. Sorafan60 Gummi Ship Junkie

the Supreme Court passed it 4 to 3 I think, but I hear that people are petitioning to get it banned again cuz of this whole "democracy" and "the people voted against it so it should stay banned" thing, which I don't agree with. At least that's what I hear, I could be wrong.

People should be able to marry and love who they want and I don't think it's right that gay people can't marry but straight people can. >.>

7. Cin Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp

One of the reasons Gay people want Marriage is so they can legally adopt children and start families. So laziness has nothing to do with sexual orientation or the want to marry.

I might be wrong but I believe that only married couples can adopt children. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, I'm not surprised Cali was the state to do this, there's more (openly) gay people in California then any other state.

8. Spitfire I'm a little high, and a little drunk.

I am pretty sure you are right there Cin.

Yea out here we have a huge gay community especially in San Francisco's Castro District. And most large cities have some kind of neighborhood where its highly promoted, but I am amazingly glad to see this finally I had so many of my gay friends that were estatic about it. But hopefully others may follow behind this seeing as cali has the most reps governmentally. I think it will slowly move eastward, with the exception of Utah and probably Texas.

9. Princess Luna Supreme Co-Ruler of Equestria

Cin does have a point. . . LA is quite a big community where there's plenty of gay people, who aren't exactly afraid to hide it either. It does make sense that California was able to lift the ban. It's a populous state and the percentage of gays here are quite high. Considering that California was the second sate to lift the ban after Massachusetts, I'm quite certain that this will lead to many other states following in the two states' footsteps. Also, the issue will [apparently] become a part in the presidential election. . . hopefully the ban will be lifted as a whole [though I'm not sure where our nominees stand on this issue].

10. Repliku Chaser

Gay people want the right of marriage for a few reasons. One, it's to show a devotion and commitment to one another and that they won't cheat, won't leave etc, they can grow old and live together and be happy like any married couple wants.

Next, the law and justice system sees them as married. Despite civil unions attempts at being 'equal' still when one of the people die or fall ill, they are given hell to see them in the hospital or to be the first people to receive things from the death of the partner. Too often, greedy family members step in and where in normal cases the -direct- family gets to deal with the funeral etc...i.e. a spouse, gay people get screwed out of it all and others will come in and take whatever they want.

Gay marriage also means that gay people can adopt or have kids and BOTH parents will be recognized as the kid's (kids') lawful parents and be able to raise the child without having to deal with others thinking it's just the 'live in boyfriend or girlfriend'. They have to acknowledge both parental figures and it stops bias.

All of these reasons seem rather legitimate to me and they aren't getting money and relaxing. They are asking for the same rights any two opposite gender people would get for marrying and sticking to a life of commitment and loyalty. If they are willing to stick to the rules of marriage in heart, it's more than some straight people can say.

11. EvilMan_89 Code Master

about time. the ban is getting really old. i remember reading somewhere that ppl dislike gay marriage because they said "if gays can get married, how long is it going to be until people and animals get married?" and stupid crap like that thinking that letting gays get married would somehow make marriage less sacred. but that's probably just the opinion of SUPER-conservative nuts tho i do consider myself somewhat conservative but not to that extent. anyways, i hope other places follow California's example and they finally get the right to marry wherever they want.

12. Blademaster Mai'kel Hollow Bastion Committee

This is an awesome victory for gay rights. I just hope it isn't appealed or anything.

13. Asterisk NO WONT LET YOU

Gay's adopting kids...I dont want to discriminate..but It doesnt feel right to me.I dont want to picture homosexual children in kindergarden(depends on if the parents raise him to be)
    But they atleast deserve marriage,I see no problem with it.

14. Princess Luna Supreme Co-Ruler of Equestria

Umm... I hardly think that Gay parents would ever raise a gay child. I think that they will accept the child as he wants to be. And gey kindergardeners? Haha, but hun, such an young child do not even know what is sex, gender and the potential love between two people are. How can kindergardeners be gay? That's what I call an extreme generalization, and it logically is not accurate either. However, I do understand your point, and what you meant to say.
    There are chances that the child will have influences from his/her parents, but not all necessarily turn out to be gay, and such parents never will force such things onto their kids, for they have a pretty good idea of how it is like to have ideas like that forced on themselves.

15. EvilMan_89 Code Master

i dont' think the parents raise their children to be homosexual, but then again i really don't know. but there's nothing wrong with homosexual children, i mean if you accept gay people's right then that shouldn't be different just because it's children.

16. Asterisk NO WONT LET YOU

how can someone be Half Man,Half Tree?

http://www.kh-vids.net/showthread.php?t=48187

....How?..I've read about anything strange here...nothing really surrpises me anymore.

I've seen Kindergardeners kiss,and I've seen my 4 year old cousin cuss people out.I've seen enough to not be surprised with little kids.

Children and their influences

1. Parents
    2. T.V
    3. Friends.

That is what has the most affect on them,and its entirely possible that a gay couple MAY raise a child to be gay..its possible,that's all im saying.

Is there logic behind an Austrian locking his daughter in a cellar for 24 years?..is caging your 17 year old son logical?...nope ^^ Too many things wrong in the world today.you gotta expect the unexpected,and a gay kindergardener wont surprise me.Parents can be cruel and forceful toward's their child...

17. Cin Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp

Even if the parents purposefully raise their child to have a certain sexual preference, homosexuality, and in this case, heterosexuality, is not a choice. Either the kid was ALWAYS gay or he'll ALWAYS be straight. I mean he may end up bisexual but I don't know if you realize this, kids in school have a larger effect on children then parents do. All small children want to conform, meaning if he's gay and everyone makes fun of gay people in his class, he'll want to be straight.

The fact is that EVEN if the kid is gay, what the hell does it matter? All gay adults were once gay children. Even if the parents force homosexuality on the kid, can you really say that straight parents don't do the same thing?

18. Asterisk NO WONT LET YOU

I wouldnt think straight parents would have to...its usually natural..

19. Cin Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp

You just proved yourself wrong, good job. =D

20. Asterisk NO WONT LET YOU

I said ''straight''..not just parents. I guess the only way to find out why men are attracted to other men is being gay..and im not going that way..a homosexual needs to write a book about how it happened and how its changed his life..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.