Book Club Session #3 - Book Poll

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Plums, Aug 22, 2011.

?

Which book would you like to read?

Poll closed Sep 3, 2011.
  1. Darkly Dreaming Dexter

23.8%
  2. The Hobbit

33.3%
  3. The Lion, the Witch and the wardrobe

4.8%
  4. Thirteenth Child

9.5%
  5. Sabriel

4.8%
  6. City of Bones

23.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plums Wakanda Forever

Hey everyone! This is the Poll thread for the next session of Book Club. A bit of a change here: this time, we are using the six most voted books from the last poll in this one, in order to spread out votes and keep things a bit more organized.

Unsure of what the book is about? Below, we have included quick insights of the books from Amazon.com and Google Books to help you choose something you’ll be interested in reading.

In the event of a tie on the poll, we will create another one only with the books that had tied.

If your book suggestion did not make the poll this time, do not fret! After the book is selected, we will take it off the list and add another one to take its place.

_ _ _ _ _

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

Whisked away from his comfortable hobbit-hole by Gandalf the wizard and a band of dwarves, Bilbo Baggins finds himself caught up in a plot to raid the treasures of Smaug the Magnificent, a large and very dangerous dragon.

Sabriel by Garth Nix

Since childhood, Sabriel has lived outside the walls of the Old Kingdom, away from the power of Free Magic, and away from the Dead who refuse to stay dead. But now her father, the Mage Abhorson, is missing, and Sabriel must cross into that world to find him. With Mogget, whose feline form hides a powerful, perhaps malevolent spirit, and Touchstone, a young Charter Mage, Sabriel travels deep into the Old Kingdom. There she confronts an evil that threatens much more than her life'and comes face to face with her own hidden destiny. . .

City of Bones by Cassandra Claire

Suddenly able to see demons and the Shadowhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizarre world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster…

Thirteenth Child by Patricia C. Wrede

Eff was born a thirteenth child. Her twin brother, Lan, is the seventh son of a seventh son. This means he's supposed to possess amazing talent -- and she's supposed to bring only bad things to her family and her town. Undeterred, her family moves to the frontier, where her father will be a professor of magic at a school perilously close to the magical divide that separates settlers from the beasts of the wild.

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

Four English school children find their way through the back of a wardrobe into the magic land of Narnia and assist its ruler, the golden lion Aslan, in defeating the White Witch who has cursed the land with eternal winter.

Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

Dexter Morgan isn't exactly the kind of man you'd bring home to Mom. Though he's playful and has a wonderfully ironic sense of humor, Dexter's one character flaw (his proclivity for murder) can be off-putting. But at heart Dexter is the perfect gentleman, supportive of his sister, Deb, a Miami cop, and interested only in doing away with people who really deserve his special visit. Dex is quite good-looking but totally indifferent to (and, frankly, a bit puzzled by) the attentions paid to him by women. Despite the fact that he can't stand the sight of blood, he works as a blood-spatter analyst for the Miami police department, a job that allows him to keep tabs on the latest crimes and keep an eye open for his next quarry." "Dexter's well-organized life is suddenly disrupted when a second, much more visible serial killer appears in Miami. Dex is intrigued, even delighted, by the fact that the other killer appears to have a style reminiscent of his own. Yet he can't help but feel that the mysterious new arrival is not merely invading his turf but reaching out to him as well. This new killer seems to be doing more than copying Dexter - he seems to be saying, "Come out and play." Dexter's secret life makes for a lonely existence... even a lovable monster can be intrigued by the prospect of finding a friend.

2. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I'll have to go with Darkly Dreaming Dexter this time. I saw the first season of the tv show a while back and got hooked.

3. Plums Wakanda Forever

Okay, so the poll is reopened again.

When I closed it, it had only received six posts, and I continued anyway and made the actual thread (now deleted) without really thinking about those who did not know the poll was open. And for that I'm sorry. :c

Anyway, the poll is now open until September 3rd.

PMs will be sent to everyone that joined the Book Club about the poll as soon as I post this. Again, I'm sorry for this (and any) inconvenience.

4. Heart ❤ Enjoy every moment with all ya got

Oh and I already started reading the Dexter book xD but on the bright side-
    Woooo City of Bones is now tied with the Dexter book! City of Bones is my book so that makes me quite happy xD

5. Guardian Soul hella sad & hella rad

People will read Dexter and they will like i*shot*

xD

6. Daxa~ #stalker

Ohh The Hobbit.
    Love that book.
    Like really love it.
    <333

7. Terra254 Traverse Town Homebody

The dust bowl of the mid to late thirties
    TLTWATW
    I 've always wanted to read this book and now I have a reason.

8. MaM_1 Destiny Islands Resident

Darkly Dreaming Dexter. 'nuff said.

9. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

The Hobbit plz ... seriously, it's really good ...

10. Plums Wakanda Forever

Also, just in case someone was wondering:

City of Bones has more votes than people who actually voted for it because Chev had changed his mindd on what he wanted to vote for like a baby, nulled his vote for Thirteenth Child, and added one to City of Bones.

Which is why Thirteenth Child has two voters and but only one vote
    and why City of Bones has three voters and four votes.

Also, I'm going to have to go with Dexter on this one. o;

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.