Book Club Session #2 - The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Plums, Jul 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plums Wakanda Forever

Hey folks!
    This session's choice is The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya!

As similar to last time, you will have two weeks to read the book and there will be a week long discussion.

Finish reading by: August 13th, 2011
    Discussion ends: August 20th, 2011

Again, if you wish, you may do a quick project as explained here about the book if you wish. (However, don't forget that discussion is most important!)

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM me and/or Clawtooth, and we will be happy to help. <:

2. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

;_______; I'm away on vacation during that time. We're bringing a netbook with us, but I won't have anywhere near enough time to read and discuss. So I'm going to have to sit this one out.

3. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Doesn't anyone find it ironic that the discussion ends on my birthday? Can't wait to talk about this one. :D

4. Heart ❤ Enjoy every moment with all ya got

****! I forgot all about thsi <_< Better head to the library

5. Plums Wakanda Forever

Just a quick reminder:

Discussion will officially open up on Saturday.
    It will end Saturday, August 20th, 2011 at 12 am EST after which the thread will be destickied and locked.
    If you choose to do them, projects are also due by then as well.

Happy reading!

-Plums

6. Plums Wakanda Forever

_Discussion is now open.

7. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

[​IMG]

This is one of my more favorite series that I have read. It all had an interesting mix of a zany slice-of-life story and science fiction. In these four stories though, it doesn't seem to balance it out well. You either got a story of a bunch of students on random adventures or a big showcase of fantasy that should've been used for another kind of series. You can't tell [with this novel] whether the author knows what he's doing or if he's making things up as he goes along. It's all fun and a light read, but unless there's some substance, the fan base is going to get bored quickly.

I also like how they evolved Yuki Nagato, the robotic alien, from being a bit more than just a robot. Throughout the time, Haruhi and Kyon get the majority of the envelopment because they were blessed being the two main characters in this particular series. However, in the first three stories, you see that Yuki plays a big role in helping out everyone. This here gives me a bit of hope that the author is at least thinking about the future of the series.

However, something here does suffer in this story that can't be ignored (besides the grammatical errors, which are probably due to translation issues): There is little to know development for the rest of the SOS Brigade. It wouldn't be such a big deal if Tanigawa developed them in the first two books, but there really wasn't. My least favorite character in these books is Mikuru Asahina simply because she appears nothing beyond a stereotype. You see that she does grow up a bit in "Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody" but you can see that deep down she hasn't changed a bit.

8. Plums Wakanda Forever

Controversial post time. :B

Overall, I can't say I liked this book too much. Personally, Kyon just didn't feel...right to be narrating. He just seems to whine about how "Haruhi wants this, I don't want to do that, why am I so xxxxx, why is Asahina-san so perfect..." and such. And I don't know, his thoughts just seemed disconnected at times.

While I was reading the first story, his thoughts just seemed to fluctuate constantly between how annoying Haruhi was, how annoying the game was, how absolutely "perfect" Asahina was, and it was just hard to follow his narration at times because it just seemed like he was perpetually whining. I think this may be me being used to a 3rd Person narration (like in Harry Potter), but Kyon just rubbed me the wrong way.

Also, Haruhi was just wat. I didn't understand how and why she was linked to the entire universe, and I didn't like that everyone had t make sure she was pleased to continue to basically exist. ._.

9. Plums Wakanda Forever

Reminder:

This session's thread will be closed tonight at 12 am EST. If you haven't posted yet, I suggest that you do so today. o;

Projects (if you chose to do them) have to be posted today too.

Edit:

Well, this was not as much of a turn out as I was expecting, but some is better than none.
    If you would like to continue discussion, you may do so in the Bordeom of Haruhi Suzumiya thread.

Link: http://www.kh-vids.net/showthread.php?102394-The-Boredom-of-Haruhi-Suzumiya

Poll will be up later today.
    Thanks to everyone that participated (and happy belated birthday, tummer)! c:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.