Cycle 2: Best Traditional Artist

Discussion in '2012' started by Clawtooth, Aug 4, 2012.

?

Who is the Best Traditional Artist in 2011/2012

Poll closed Aug 11, 2012.
  1. Cherry Berry

8.3%
  2. Jayn

8.3%
  3. DPWolf

2.8%
  4. Taffy

16.7%
  5. Jiku Neon

2.8%
  6. Dinny

36.1%
  7. Rat

19.4%
  8. Llave de Espada

5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

Best Traditional Artist

Welcome to Cycle 2 of this year’s KHV Awards!! Jayn and I shall be your guide for this week’s cycle in our awards celebrating the more creative among us, from role-playing to writing and poetry, to video editing and more!

Please vote honestly and remember, if you sould have any queries about voting procedure, please read our voting rules here, and if your question isn’t answered there, don’t hesitate to contact Misty.

Good luck, and may the odds be ever in your favour!!

Nomination Samples:

2. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

No poll .

Well, balls :b

Gonna go for rat. Even though they are all good, I enjoy his style.

3. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

The way the threads work, the thread appears before the poll <3.

4. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

It's so embarrassing. Why is everyone so much better than me?

5. Mysty Unknown

ahhhh. I guess my art wasn't good enough for this vote. ; ; oh well XD

6. Hayabusa Venomous

Llave for me, though I wish you used his Korra art >.>

Kinda predicted no nomination here. Ah well.

And I've a question: does DP Wolf's samples really count as Traditional Art? I always thought of it as being hand-drawn stuff...or does digital as well as arts/crafts count too?

7. Misty gimme kiss

Hand crafted, for one, counts, and if the drawing is done by hand but on a digital medium (like using a tablet to sketch on photoshop), we count it as traditional.

8. Styx That's me inside your head.

[pretending to know stuff about art]

An admirable attempt to create art with minimal tools, but the proportions seem way off. The arms of the first girl seem more flabby than they should be, and is it just me or does the girl in the second drawing have huge hands? I like the honest simplicity of Cherry Berry's work, but this could have benefited great from some extra tweaking.

Interesting style and clean execution. As with Cherry, a more differential dyad of entries would have given me more to elaborate upon. There aren't many things I can note here, except that it just isn't my thing.

Recalling Wolfie's pieces from last year, I see yet again that she is a very versatile artist. I don't know whether the first piece is based off an anime or a game or whatever, but I found it interesting and creative regardless. I like how she contrasted the dunes to give a shading effect, and the way she portrayed far-off mist in the first piece. I couldn't think of something to say about the second piece. I guess it's meant to be some sort of scythe? Why isn't it assembled?

I always have high expectations of Taffy, and she doesn't disappoint. One marvels at what someone can produce with just a pencil. Her first piece is bright and summons images in my head of sunny summer days. No idea what the shape is meant to represent. It reminds me of tattered cloth. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing; it just crossed my mind.

These sketches are certainly not bad, but the level of "sketchiness" is often inconsistent. Perfectly fine if this is the case between pieces, but I'm not keen on it if it happens within a piece. Case in point: the skirt of the girl in the second piece is way more roughly sketched than the rest of her body and clothing. This is also the case with the...thing in the bottom-right corner of the first piece. I would have liked a general idea of what I'm supposed to be looking at there.

I could almost say that there is too much going on in these pieces, but Dinny knows where to draw the line (no pun intended). The result in both entries are excellently detailed works of art that are nevertheless easy on the eyes. She may have went a little overboard with the multicolored hair on the pigtails girl, but it's forgiven. There are, after all, a lot of good things to make note of here, from the immaculate pattern of the wings in the first piece to the questioning eyes of the girl in the second. Both entries are stunning pieces of art (although the first one is my favourite).

Rat's first piece is remarkably fascinating. I was actually looking for clues about the setting and story behind this work. The grim coldness of the face demands the viewer's attention in a compelling way. So compelling even that it almost drew away attention from its only (minor) flaw: the strand of lighter brown hair behind the character's ear looks more like goo than actual hair. That being said, it is an intriguing piece and definitely among the best works of all these entries.
    Perhaps the asymmetric proportions left and right of the tiger's nose are to blame, but that second piece didn't have the same effect on me. Speaking of which, the asymmetric glare of both its eyes water down the fierce look the creature is supposed to give. I can imagine that symmetry is incredibly difficult to achieve, but I'm just throwing out there that the impact would have been greater if his left eye looked exactly like the right one. Nevertheless a swell piece of art that I wouldn't mind having in my room.

Love what he did with the headband in the first piece, not so keen on what seems to be his boobs on the right side. The clothing was exceptionally well done and coloured. The second piece, however, is the better one. Proportions are realistic, her hair is superbly coloured. May not be the very best of the lot, but there is no question that he's skilled.

I've seen plenty of terrific pieces, honestly, but I think Dinny outshines them all. She definitely has my vote.

[/pretending to know stuff about art]

9. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

Llave, no votes
    Cherry, no votes

What is wrong with you people?

10. T A F F Y シ Hollow Bastion Committee

My vote goes for Dinny, cuz i looove her art!!.

11. Mish smiley day!

I voted for Dinny, but I wish that Llave had more votes too. :v

12. Saxima [screams geometrically]

At the end of the day, my heart just goes to Rat's art.

13. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

It's from a game called Journey, which is a beautiful game in it's own right. Definitely check it out if you can.
    As for the second one, I wasn't actually around to choose the images displayed here, but yes the final product of that was Maka's scythe from Soul Eater.

If I recall correctly from last year we're permitted to post further examples? If not feel free to edit this out.
    This is the final piece.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.