Cycle 2: Best Poet

Discussion in '2012' started by Clawtooth, Aug 4, 2012.

?

Who is the best Poet in 2011/2012

Poll closed Aug 11, 2012.
  1. Sumi

37.9%
  2. Plums

31.0%
  3. Styx

27.6%
  4. Nights

3.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

Best Poet

Welcome to Cycle 2 of this year’s KHV Awards!! Jayn and I shall be your guide for this week’s cycle in our awards celebrating the more creative among us, from role-playing to writing and poetry, to video editing and more!

Please vote honestly and remember, if you sould have any queries about voting procedure, please read our voting rules here, and if your question isn’t answered there, don’t hesitate to contact Misty.

Good luck, and may the odds be ever in your favour!!

Nomination Samples:

Sumi

Plums

Styx

Nights

2. Styx That's me inside your head.

Just so you guys know, the last two aren't mine even though they seem to appear under my name.

3. Misty gimme kiss

Claw accidentally left Nights off the poll. ;c I've fixed it though!

4. Styx That's me inside your head.

[pretending to know shit about poetry]

Sumi
    Both of them are marvelous poems. The first one was intense, and succeeds in the very difficult task of making physical pleasure sound romantic. The imagery was striking and brilliant; in a league all its own. I can say the same for the second poem, but all things considered I didn't like it as much as the first one (though that's not saying much since I absolutely adore that first piece). The extensive use of jargon made the poem sound pretentious in its erudition. Granted, such a thing may be commendable in an ode. I still think she went a little overboard though. That being said, her genius and skill in writing poetry is what I shall remember most.

Plums
    Plums frequently twists the knife, resulting in bold but almost cynical poetry. That and their free verse style is where the similarities between the two pieces end: there is an interesting contrast in this set of entries. I like the second one better, perhaps because of its sinister imagery, or because the first didn't exactly skimp on the "I can"s. Or perhaps the second poem says so much in relatively few lines: "Reflect[Refract" is a compact bomb waiting to explode with meaning upon reading. If "Inferno" was equally good, I may have had serious trouble voting.

Styx (Why? Because I can.)
    I like "Knit In The Rhythm". Like, not love. For example, despite the name of the piece there is no real rhythm to speak of. This may cause friction with the readers' expectations. On the other hand, the author clearly tried to walk the line between budding romance and teenage lust, leaving it up to the reader to tilt the balance in either interpretation's favor. It worked. The imagery in this piece was well-intended but an easy target for missing the point. If I had to describe the piece in one word, the word "fragile" comes to mind.
    The triolet is a rare form, and this was the Styx' first attempt at writing one. This kinda forgives the lack of personal touch in this textbook example. Writing a contrained form is hard, let alone elevating the piece beyond word play into something that has a point. Styx succeeded in doing this, albeit with less depth than he is known to try and squeeze in. My biggest qualm is the overuse of the verb "to need". He should replace the word in the first or second line with "want" or "must" respectively. (Already done this, sent you the wrong version. Long-ass CnC but I know my own poems better than anyone else's.)

Nights
    Nights knows flow. That much is certain. As for the rest, he is almost a wild card when it comes to writing: genius and mediocrity may appear even within the length of a poem. Case in point: "Angry Anthem". Lines like "Least I ain't no baby blowin snot" are hardly groundbreaking, but the brilliance of "I'm a conspire by nature / Part of a greater / nomenclature" a few stanzas earlier blew in my mind.
    "New Year" is another one of those. A fine poem without a doubt, and yet the last few stanzas were too simplistic for my taste. Nights is a good poet, and his pieces are direct and to the point. I just wish he'd be more consistent sometimes.

My vote goes to Sumi. There are too many reasons really.

[/pretending to know shit about poetry]

5. Sumi suicidé

screaming because why am i even being considered

besides that though...
    how am i supposed to choose between everyone?? 8( everyone's poems are sooo good. *poet group hug*

edit: bonus points if you find out what i've tagged astrophysics with on tumblr

6. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

astrophysics is a strong entry. This is coming from me who DOES NOT EVEN APPROVE OF FREE VERSE. You're good and people are openly willing to admit it, you're going to have to come to terms with that.

7. Styx That's me inside your head.

I couldn't reach the level of your poetry with a ten foot pole, so I think it's only natural you got considered.

8. Jiηx You're such a loser.

Twisting like a flame in a slow dance, baby.
    Late entry but Ben should win, Rainshine for the win.

9. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

Ben/Rainshine for write in vote.

10. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

How is it I was even considered for this, and it happened to be while I wasn't logging on -_-

If anything it has to be for the amount of poems I post.

I'd like to thank all who nominated me :cryinganime: I love you all!!

Seriously though, why was I chosen?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.