Best Graphic Artist

Discussion in '2013' started by Misty, Aug 29, 2013.

?

See the samples below!

Poll closed Sep 5, 2013.
  1. Jayn

35.9%
  2. Trigger Warning

23.1%
  3. What?

23.1%
  4. Hayabusa

7.7%
  5. muff monkey

5.1%
  6. Vinyl Scratch

5.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Misty gimme kiss

Cycle One: "Most" Nominations; Thread/Group Nominations
    Cycle Two: Writing, Video Editing, Art Nominations; Roleplaying Nominations
    Cycle Three: Best/Worst Nominations
    Cycle Four: General Nominations

Vote away!

Jayn
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trigger Warning
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hayabusa
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

muff monkey
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vinyl Scratch
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Amaury Legendary Hero

So hard to choose between Jayn and What?...

Hm... Let's go with Jayn.

3. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

Jayn. I love the way it looks like you're looking at a screen in those, I know you're looking at a screen but like a screen within a screen.

... Screenception.

What? was a close second though. Both of those look absolutely lovely. ^^

4. Styx That's me inside your head.

Time for the annual "taking this shit seriously" CnC.

Jayn
    I've always like Jayn's style and she does not disappoint this year. Even without knowing what they reference, if anything, both pieces intrigue me. The first piece suggests an entire story in as few as three images. I also like how they are neatly divided between filling up the heart and filling a half each. Gives the whole thing a sense of...completeness (struggling to find the right word here to be honest). The second piece is beautifully dark, enticing the viewer out of their comfort zone. Using static before restarting the loop was a very good choice. The transitions in both pieces may come slightly too fast, but that is just a minor complaint. When compared to last year's pieces though, Jayn managed to rise above herself. That's good; I like artists that grow.

Trigger Warning
    It's always interesting when an artist takes an existing image and lets his imagination run wild with it, but in Trigger's pieces, the results have been very hit-or miss. Changing the emphasis of a color scheme from blue to red may seem like a minor alteration to some, but it carries a lot of implications. Raiden's blue-dominated scheme was there for a reason. Nevertheless, the first piece hit the mark. Changing from cold blue to aggressive red, in addition to the phrase in the center, has further intensified Raiden's gaze and gave it a whole new meaning. It did not work, however, in the second piece. The original image, with its dull and dreary colors, conveyed every sentiment it was supposed to. Changing the atmosphere from "Holy crap!" to "Hi, wanna play?" feels like a loss of meaning rather than a logical change.

What?
    I remember I saw a bunch of images similar to What?'s first piece last year: hero(ine) looking badass with fancy colors and maybe a quote or other phrase surrounding them (usually in rectangular form). I also remember that I usually had at least something to nit-pick on in those pieces, but What? gives me no such opportunity. I have no idea where this character is from (I hardly ever do these days...entirely my fault) or why she's holding her sword like that, but she can now say that she has a slick-looking background to go with her.
    Alas, my Russian isn't what it used to be (actually it is, and I'm not even 100% sure it's Russian) but the second image is a remarkable one, and elevates my impression of What?'s work from "solid" to "fucking niiiiiiiiiiiiice". It seems to unfold like a theater. I somehow associated the arrows (unfortunate transition notwithstanding) with missiles, and I was soon reminded of the USSR, which I hope was the intention. It looks surprisingly light-hearted for the implied serious themes, but it all adds to the power of the piece in thie case. A bit of English text to give an ignoramus a clue would have been nice though.

Hayabusa
    A great first piece: blunt in its disturbing nature but discreet in what it shows and tell and what it doesn't. Only half of the entire frame is anything other than black, which I could attribute to laziness in any other piece, but it adds to the subtlety of the picture here. The second piece is interesting but gives me little to comment on. The contrast between living in the shadow (darkness) and Thor's greatness (light) is clever and succeeds in making this piece more than just another depiction of good vs evil. Would have like to see the characters' expressions though. The entire image could (and maybe should) have been larger.

muff monkey
    The reddish blot in the center should be calling the viewer's attention to the phrase and it does, which is why it's unfortunate why I had to peer so closely to disentangle it. Outstanding choice of image with the right facial expression, I only wish you wouldn't have cut off Sora's head. It was somewhat...off in this image, maybe because his face was so important here. The second piece was...odd. It fades on one side but not on the other and the bubbles don't seem to serve any purpose other than making the piece more complex. I quite like the colors chosen though. Muff monkey is by no means a bad or even an average artist, but I've seen better pieces in this thread.

Vinyl Scratch
    Who'd have thought My Little Pony could look so...cool? The image begs for a good beat to go with it since I was reminded of a booming club or dance hall. Just to nit-pick: switch the yellow and green in the "rainbow". It gives a more natural and logical color transition. Swell piece nonetheless, amusing and surprising in a good way. The same can be said about the second piece. Depicting the pony in a fetal position, thereby making the piece rife with (re)birth symbolism, is a bold and interesting approach to My Little Pony (now there's a sentence I never thought I'd say). Both pieces are different yet similar in their refreshing nature. I have a hard time picking a favorite between the two, which to me implies that the artist consistently delivers good work.

I've seen some amazing things here and overall I liked these pieces better than last year's nominees (no offense to them). Jayn can curse the high expectations I have of her (not that she didn't meet them, quite the contrary), but I'm voting for the artist that most surprised me in a positive sense: Vinyl Scratch.
    (Besides, it's not like Jayn is gonna have a shortage of votes.)

5. Glen Returned from the dead

Jayn's art consistently blows me away with how good it is. The pieces she does usually stand out and are beautiful in themselves, and these pieces are no different! The others did great jobs though, my decision was a really tough one between Jayn and What? but yeah, in the end Jayn's won out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.