Benazir Bhutto killed in suicide attack

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Patsy Stone, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7161590.stm

This puts the political process in Pakistan (which was finally beginning to stabilise) in jeopardy and the January elections my not go ahead now.

On her arrival after her self-imposed exile she survived a double suicide bomb attack in which 130 people were killed. Now it seems she was shot by a gunman who then blew himself up killing 15 people.

Thoughts? =/

2. Donaut Banned

I find this terrible. Watching her on the news, she had great plans to make Pakistan much better. The thought of her dead is a shocker.

3. xekushi Gummi Ship Junkie

This is going to take one hell of a long time to fix now.

4. Crumpet In your shadow, I can shine!

OMG... she had so many plans to make it a better place... wow its such a shame

5. ♥AL90♥ Hollow Bastion Committee

Why is it about where I live? Where do you live?
    What's up with these suicide bombers and gunman. I mean what are their goals exactly?

6. Repliku Chaser

That's really tragic. The whole family though it seems was very politically active seeking reform and democracy. Musharraf, who is the 'President' of Pakistan but also a General of the military that took over it, was willing in the beginning to work things out with her, but at the same time it seems that radical Islamic groups that did not want democracy, including possibly people within the government and security, were willing to go the extra mile and put an end to her life. It is very rare that a woman did so much in Pakistan, considering the state of affairs of Islamic governments where women have little voice. She'd been set up twice in the past, which she was Prime Minister, of her husband stealing money to increase their wealth, but with how active she seemed to be I doubt anyone who supported her believed anything of this. Her return to Pakistan after self-imposed exile to evade these charges was rallying thousands of people together. She even evaded an attempt on her life that involved car bombings only to be shot the second time now and she's gone.

It really is too bad that she could do no more and now she dies a martyr and people are very angry and rebelling due to her death. Being killed like that in public is just a shock and of course the man who shot her twice died after. Pakistan is a harsh area to live in and I hope that her death won't cause too much more violence but that political agendas can move to grant people more freedom. The Islamic radical groups there and in many areas of the ME continue to use this method of sending their messages to others that they will not stand for change and change is corrupt. The irony of course is that they corrupt the minds of people they figure are disposable and send them out on these one way missions, rewarding their families with money for their devotion. Things are that bad in the ME that people are tempted into this and I do hope more people like Benazir Bhutto will rise up to try to work with the people who want a better life so that others are not so easily encouraged to give their lives up for murder and an unjust cause.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.