Atheists intolerant?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Peace and War, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

From both observations and personal experience, I have found many atheists to be quite intolerant of people who have a 'faith'. I don't believe that all atheists are like this, many do accept and tolerate the faith of others and their relgious views, but I still see many more being critical of relegions.

Anyone who is an atheist I would like to hear your views on what you think of relegions as being for example 'illogical.'

2. Rissy Queen of the Clouds

Most Athiests are actually more excepting to other people's religion. I know one, and she would care less about where you go to church, or if you believe in God or not.
    I myself think that Athiest is just a word, it doesn't mean "OH NOES LET'S BAN THEM FROM OUR GROUP." I actually don't really believe in God myself, I think in more of sciences.

3. Hayabusa Venomous

Many (NOT ALL DON'T RIP MY HEAD OFF) like to think themselves as smarter and better than people who rely on faith rather than facts, and they feel the need to express their self-importance on others for the sole purpose of making others feel bad, be it stating that faith in a god replaces actual knowledge and action, or generalizing the beliefs of an entire religious community based on an extremist's ideals. But like all preferences, there are awesome atheists and deists and don't brag about it or anything.

I personally have no problem with anyone's beliefs, be it in one god, multiple, or none. Long as it's not just something stupid, like actually believing in Pokemon as deities.

4. jafar custom title

Athiests are more tolerant because it's not like "oh you beleive in this and that so you can't be in our group." In fact it's the religious people who do that. You don't believe in Jesus, so you're as sinner. Oh you worship idols, that makes you a sinner too. Athiests don't care. I am one, so I can say so myself. Although religion is annoying and absurd in my opnion, as long as that isn't what's running the country and common sense is, then I don't really have any problems.

5. TheVader74 Gummi Ship Junkie

I can see both sides really. A few I've met will admittedly make a religious person out as weak, due to relying on a religion (I even know one person who makes a point of this whenever he passes a church, but he's kind of a ****** anyway.), but many others I meet are just "Meh" about it, which is probably for the best.

Admittedly, I'm probably not the best to judge. I like to think I'm excepting, but only until the stage where I think they're fools (For example, setting an extra meal at the table for God. Yeah...) or they start trying to convert me/preach to me. However, generally Atheists seem to be more tolerant due to not actually caring about a persons deity of choice.

6. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

What you both say sounds intolerant towards other people who believe in a higher power, saying that atheists are more tolerant because they're not 'in your face zealots who exclude other groups because they don't have the same views' is almost ironic since you do that yourselves. You seem to say you'd rather have ultimate faith in science because it deals in pure facts and logic, yet relegions are BELIEF systems, which are their to fill in the blanks that science has not proven.
    Relegions don't have proof that gods exist, but equally science has no evidence that says there are no gods.
    Also, being relgious does not make you illogical or irrational, it could be argued that science is partly a belif system since it mainly consists of theories instaed of proof. For example, thei is 'The Big Bang Theory' which states the beginning of existence and that there is no god, however that is all it is, a theory with no conclusive proof to explain the begining of existence as the same could be said for the Creationist theory.

7. Hayabusa Venomous

I'm Christian just to let you know, and I know evolution and the Big Bang and all that jazz are factual events because science has proven them. I tried to help both sides, since, like I said, I have no quarrel with anyone's beliefs.

8. HellKitten Kingdom Keeper

I have noticed this. Being one myself. I don't like how they are intolerant. I do my best to tolerate it seeing that I go to a Catholic School.

9. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

To tell the truth I really only tried to comment on your comments on 'extremists ideals' and the 'replacing actual knowledge with faith' parts.
    I understand that it is the ideal of the individual that affects the extent to which we tolerate faith and the lack of.

10. jafar custom title

I don't care if people believe it. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

11. JedininjaZC Hollow Bastion Committee

Ever since the dawn of time man kind have always loved to make up stories about events they didn’t understand, for example:
    http://greek-history.suite101.com/article.cfm/spring

You also can't prove, or disprove the boogie man either, but you can calculate the possibiltys that such a person might exists, and unless the boogie man is a stalker who filter feeds I doubt he exists under my bed, especially since I have a bunch of boxes under there.

You are right the big bang is a theory, kind of like gravity.
    A theory is an idea that is supported by facts, and observable pieces of evidence. Since there is no facts, or any pieces of evidence creationism cannot be tested and therefore cannot become a theory.
    http://www.nicerweb.com/doc/class/med/Scientific_method.jpg

12. StarkMad Banned

Hey hey hey, that's not fair to say.
    not all religious people are like that.
    I have plenty of friends who are religious that aren't like that.
    I believe in Jesus and God, but I'm not saying "I can't be your friend because I'm too awesome and you're a sinner"; that would be rude and ironic. God says to accept everyone; therefore, we should.
    Not disrespecting, just correcting : ) Sorry if you take this as a rude thing.

13. jafar custom title

I never said all of them do. I was generalizing. And that's also why there's racism, hate towards other religions, etc. It's different so it must be repressed or killed.

14. StarkMad Banned

Oh, sorry. I guess I assumed too much.

And are you saying all that's because of Christianity?

15. reptar REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Im atheist, But i dont doubt peoples beliefs, But when someone asks Why i am, Then i explain, But i dont say this to everyone who has faith "YOUR GOD SUCKS"
    just for the sake

People are free to express opinions, especially religon, Like how most of my friends are Jewish and i have no problem with that

16. StarkMad Banned

Exactly!
    There's no point in fighting over who's right. All that matters is when we die, that's when we find out.
    Personally, Christianity is my choice because of the response. Most people never see responses from God when they pray, nor do they hear what He has to say. If they don't, I'm not going to force them to be Christian.
    Anyways, before this becomes a sh!tstorm on me again, I should duck out of this discussion.

17. Repliku Chaser

Atheists do not believe in any religion. That being said, it does not mean that Atheists believe that people who do are stupid. Sure, some will look at it that way because there's an ironic twist that some people of religions are not tolerant even to one another often because of different views. If Atheists believe in none of the claims of any deities in existence, watching religious people who are fighting amongst themselves over which deity or version of the same deity is (are) the 'true God(s), can really seem very idiotic. Especially when people -die- because of it, or are labeled as inferior and outsiders that are not obligated the same treatment as the labelers. Also, being labeled as a blasphemer and a sinner doesn't help matters much either. I can't say how many times I've had Christians tell me I'm going to Hell. After a while you get tired of the fact that these people have no clue that they cannot intimidate you and are just ticking you off because they won't stop trying. It worked when I was a kid. It has no effect on me now but to get me to explain to them that Hell is a figment.

Most Atheists I know of, to include me, are simply tired of religion being something that is so sacred that people fight, murder, rape, fake compassion over, and can rule over others with. I really could care less whether someone is religious or not. However, I do care when that person is out to try to take simple human rights away from others because their religion is more important than a living being and they point out 'sins' that exist because some people can't stay out of other people's harmless businesses. Haters of others, based on religious views should not have the power to ostracize, abuse children, motivate ignorance by blacklisting books and subjects as taboo, teach that those who are of a different religion or lack of religion are evil, and instigate people to commit suicide, or promote bullying, etc. We don't appreciate knowing another gay teenager committed suicide because his parents didn't love him because he was gay and that's a sin. We don't like to hear about the girl and guy that can't be together due to their families disapproving because both aren't of the same religion or one is Atheist or Agnostic. We don't wanna know how someone can mistreat and abuse children by not letting them play with kids who are not of the same religious culture and even teach them to hate others. I abhor the fact some religious groups can even infiltrate funerals and not let people mourn for their lost family member or friend because the person was gay or a soldier. It's no different than racism in this regard, and most people frown on racism, but not on religious intolerance crimes that happen all the time.

I don't dislike religious people or feel they are stupid for the most part, but some are extremely more harmful than some people want to admit. Maybe there is a reluctance to see the harm they cause because these harmful people practice their own version of the mainstream religion and so people are reluctant to point out that they aren't getting the purpose. Maybe it's because the monotheistic religions in their own right have several interpretations and no one wants to come out and say that the version of one is ****ed up. After all, it gives Atheists more power and Agnostics more rights to doubt. You speak of intolerance of Atheists and yet... it's the religious people fighting religious people that hold the rest of the world hostage, whether religious or not. The Jihad versus the Evangelical president. God vs Allah, Judaism vs Islam, Christianity vs Islam, Islam vs Hinduism, Islam vs Buddhism, Mormons vs Christians, Evangelicals vs other Christian groups, Catholics vs Protestants, etc. Most Atheists, including myself, just want to live and not be bound to this stupidity. I believe many religious people wish that it would stop too.

I don't want anyone to be hurt or have rights taken away from them if they are not harmful to other people, regardless of religious beliefs. However, the evidence is there that quite a few people use religion as a -weapon- and some people would just say that Islam spreads that and terrorism. No one hears about the Christian terrorist groups. They do exist. We also don't think about all of the white collar crimes done and money theft etc by religions world-wide. How about the fact that missionaries doing the work of religion also ruin the ethnic cultures of areas and keep trying to convert people so that their help is seen as not being so compassionate after all. The only religions that get investigated often are what religious people call -cults- because there are less followers in those. All a cult is, in simple terms, is a religion that is not mainstream.

Basically in the end, Atheists may be intolerant on different levels but it's because of the -crimes- committed and the fact that very few people do anything about them because religion is protected more than living people who are wronged by extremists of those religions are. The -acts- are what we speak out against and the fact that religion is held too sacred. I don't like religion, but it certainly does not mean I do not like people or think they are stupid because they choose to believe in something I see as imaginary. Most Atheists have many friends who are religious. We just all know where we stand on the issue and there are more reasons to be friends with someone than having the same religious belief.

18. Styx That's me inside your head.

I am very intolerant of religion in general and am not above showing it. This goes for other non-religious matters as well though. Everyone thinks his/her own opinions are the best (why else would they have them?) and I fail to see the reason for hiding it.

19. P Banned

._.

I dislike religions because it's an outdated concept. We are still following deities created millennia ago. How is a "god's" position on the world back then relevant to our current lifestyle? Too much is different for it to be a viable role-model. Also, I hate how religions pretty much tell you that humanity is crap and anything good is god's doing. If I get cancer, how is it not god's fault? If I strive against the cancer and after enduring years of gruelling chemotherapy I come out alive, why should I praise god? It's self degrading to believe that god is responsible for anything we as humans bring into this world, but we handwave the crap under the mat.

Also, I believe that each person should have their own moral code, not receive their moral code from a book.

So am I intolerant of religions? Yep.

20. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

Well religion is illogical. Any blind faith is, but that's all religion is: faith. Since the god or gods of pretty much any given religion can defy natural limitations, the technically can defy logical limitations as well, though this fact can't really be used to debunk any religion, as the story remains consistent, albeit consistently illogical.

Anyway, I really couldn't care less if you're a theist, agnostic, atheist, or something else along the spectrum. I don't judge people based on this, it's a pretty inaccurate display of one's character in my opinion. Most of my friends belong to some religion, but I won't shun them simply because of this. It's true that some atheists are bigots who try to force their beliefs on others, but bear in mind that there are theists that are like this as well. Most atheists and theists alike that I know are very tolerant of others' beliefs, the bigots just seem to get more attention because of the outrageous and offensive things they tend to do and say.