Assistance with breaking an addiction

Discussion in 'Help with Life' started by Glen, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Glen Returned from the dead

I'm starting to feel like I'm a regular thing here and that makes me feel pretty crappy, but at the same time it helps me vent so that's good I suppose. Thanks you guys. Anyway, onto what this thread was made for.

I have a serious addiction to videogames. Surprised? Didn't think so given this is a website centred around a videogame series. The problem I have is I feel compelled to buy something videogame related whenever I have money and am around any stores, and this is a problem for me. Honestly, I can almost afford it given my income if I budget my food properly, so I'm not going to die or struggle with living but...

There's something I need to save up for. I can't even tell you how important it is, I'm not entirely sure of the words that would describe it's importance to me. If anyone wants to ask me what it is out of curiousity, send me a PM and I'm happy to discuss it, but lets just say it's fairly expensive. As in, few thousand dollars expensive. My videogame addiction is slowing things to the point where IF I save any money at all from the income (which doesn't happen so much) it is miniscule and if I kept going at this rate, I won't actually have the thing for a few years, and I need it ASAP.

I guess what I'm asking is this: How do I break an addiction to videogames I've had since I was 8 years old? I'm 22 right now.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  2. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Do you have any games that you haven't completed yet? If so, then focus on them. Trophy hunting on PS3/4/Vita games also helps. Doing this will help you see that there is more to the games that you already have.

3. Glen Returned from the dead

I've tried this, it doesn't seem to help.

4. Patman Bof

Then I have to wonder if your addiction is really about video games.
    Would this hit close to home ?
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1805733/

As you can see there' s no reliable treatment, but if you want a short term solution in order to buy that thing you really really want I suggest you ask someone to monitor your spending for a while. Or, as soon as your income pops in, just take the amount you' d like to save monthly and ask someone you trust to keep it for you. Tell them not to give anything back before you' ve saved the amount you need.

5. Glen Returned from the dead

That's...actually pretty accurate. Thanks!