Anime Recommendations Thread

Discussion in 'Anime and Manga' started by Korra, Jul 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

Reposting this.
    Want to pick up a new series but aren't sure what's good? Then post here, both to recommend a series and ask for recommendations.
    Please put some thought into your posts, if you're asking for recommendations then mention what kind of things you like to see in a series or what your favorite genre is.
    If you're recommending, don't just list titles. Give legitimate reasons why you're recommending it, either to another member or just why it should be read in general.

Any threads asking for recommendations after this will be merged to this thread.

2. Jⱥy King's Apprentice

Elemental Gelade

It's fantasy adventure that's about a group of five who are on a journey to Edel Garden, the birthplace of mystical beings called Edel Raids who are used a weapons. I'm currently reading Volume No.12 and i can't stop reading.

Google it and see if you like xD

[​IMG]

3. Saxima [screams geometrically]

Oh, oh, oh! I definitely recommend reading Yozakura Quartet, I haven't finished it myself, but it's pretty awesome so far.

[​IMG]

4. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

Freezing is good, I highly recommend it. I really enjoy the story so far, Action/Romance. I really enjoy reading it, it's a story I haven't seen before.
    [​IMG]

GE - Good Ending is good, it's a bit different that what I usually read, it's a romance manga, I find the story to be very appealing, because it's not just the stereotypical very light love story, but with a more intriguing and unique relationship within it.
    [​IMG]

Cage of Eden
    Crazy, crazy story. Really fun characters and the events happening after the planecrash (not a spoiler, happens in the first chap) Can't say more except there is a lot of action and gore. It's a lot of fun ^^,
    [​IMG]

5. Gultigargar Hollow Bastion Committee

Negima! Magister Negi Magi (Alt. title: Mahou Sensei Negima)

[​IMG]

This is the story about a 10-year-old mage in training who becomes a teacher at an all-girls school. (Sounds like kind of a lousy start right? Yeah, but:) The story quickly takes a turn for the awesome when he has to battle an evil vampire mage from his class. Then he goes on a school trip where he fights a horde of summoned monsters. He then battles a (self-proclaimed) time-traveling martian that wants to expose magic to the world. In more recent events, he has gone on a search to find his father in the Magic World. Lots of interesting stuff happens there, such as
    learning dark magic.

Pros
    - Wizard battles. Seriously, what more could you want?
    - Just gonna say it again: Wizard battles. (Image contains spoiler.)
    - Very detailed lexicon-like descriptions of spells, magic items, and lots of other stuff. A lot of thought went into the world-building, and it shows.
    - Colorful cast of characters. There are 31 girls in his class, several mages (including his master, who is an "evil" vampire mage), his father's team of legendary heroes, villains with funky hair, and much, much more.
    - Oh so very pretty art style. Uses 3D-modeling to make backgrounds that look incredibly nice.
    - Great humor.

Cons
    - Slow start. You might as well start reading at volume 3 (chapter 16), 'cause you pretty much won't miss anything. It's like the author forgot he wasn't doing Love Hina anymore for those first two volumes.
    - Lots of fanservice. Author can't seem to go more than a couple of chapters without it. (Doesn't bother me too much, but I can imagine it could get really annoying if you're not into that stuff.)
    - Tends to have some rather uneventful filler chapters with character development of the girls in the class.
    - Some criticize his art for being too detailed, making it hard to read. (I personally don't see how detailed drawings are a problem, but since people have mentioned it, I thought I should too.)

(@Saxima: While I agree that Yozakura Quartet is nice, you really should give more reasons other than "it's pretty awesome".)

6. daxma Hei Long: Unrivalled under the Heavens

All of these manga's are all politically related seinen manga's which i would recommend to anyone interested in psychological and philosophical manga's.

Ikigami
    [​IMG]

Ikigami is based on a society in which as part of a law, first class student re given a vaccination in which 1 in 1,000 will contain a nano capsule set to rapture at a persons peek age's between 18-24 in order to maintain prosperity. The person receives a Death Notice or "Ikigami" 24 hours before death in order to tie up loose ends and embrace life. This is not always the reality.
    I recommend this because it raises alot of moral questions and explores the human psyche in various ways.

Akumetsu
    [​IMG]

Akumetsu is based in japan now in which a person seemingly just becomes immortal and begins to kill politicians and influentials within japan. This talks about alot of political terms and the political situation in japan. To be completely honest i need to read it again to fully understand it but its very in depth in relation to political philosophies and talks about the value of life but those are only the things i'm sure on. there is alot to interprete. A notable feature of the manga is that it's character bear the exact likeness of political figures and influential people well known in japan but changed their names. it has yet to be recognised by popular media but if it does it is set to spark contraversy, i.e. an Anime conversion.

Freesia
    [​IMG]

Freesia like the others is based during a war between japan and "christian" powers in which overcrowding in prisons and inadequate law enforcement has lead to the allowing of a law to exact vengeance on people who have wronged each other in an effort to take the focus off the war and other things within government. The main character is a mentally unstable Ex-military assassin who becomes an Assassin of a proxy agency hired to kill people under the this law. This Manga is complex in many ways, especially when it comes to the main character who battles within himself to integrate into society. This is my favourite of the three even though i recommend them all.

7. Saxima [screams geometrically]

I actually watched Eyeshield 21 first as an anime before I began reading it (which was actually just over a month ago). For those of you who don't know, it's about American Football and this at-first-wimpy kid Sena Kobayakawa who is going into high school as a "gofer", but thanks to his amazing legs, which are described as "golden", he becomes apart of the Deimon American Football team which from there out, starts to grow into awesomeness.

[​IMG]

8. Sanya Orussia’s 586th Fighter Regiment

Re-posting this, was deleted apparently.

[​IMG]

Click For Larger Version

If you are recommending anime not on this chart (or backing up something on this chart), please follow this format to make your recommendations the most appealing:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Name of Anime:
    Genre(s):
    Number of Episodes:
    Additional Info:

----------------------------------------------------------------

My Recommendations (that aren't already on the chart)

Name of Anime: Puella Magi Madoka Magica
    Genre(s): adventure, horror, psychological, magical girl
    Number of Episodes: 12
    Additional Info: A show that will "redefine" the magical girl genre forever, I'll leave it at that.

Name of Anime: Steins;Gate
    Genre(s): comedy, drama, psychological, science fiction, time travel
    Number of Episodes: 24 (still airing) - Currently on Episode 21 from this post's date
    Additional Info: First couple of episodes are rather confusing but just keep watching it, you won't regret it. And no you don't have to watch Chaos;head first, in fact, don't watch that at all.

Name of Anime: Angel Beats!
    Genre(s): action, comedy, drama, fantasy, romance, school life, life after death
    Number of Episodes: 13 + ova
    Additional Info: Probably the most entertaining characters you'll ever watch in an anime. Good action, and personally one of my favorites.

Name of Anime: Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~
    Genres(s): action, drama, psychological, assassins, crime
    Number of Episodes: 26
    Additional Info: A very addictive show with an amazing soundtrack, the only anime imo that Beetrain did right. Lot of "bone-chilling" moments and good characters.

Name of Anime: Redline (Movie)
    Genre(s): action, science fiction, tournament, racing
    Number of Episode: It's a movie, so 1
    Additional Info: Untz Untz Untz Untz Untz Untz

Name of Anime: [C] – Control – The Money and Soul of Possibility
    Genre(s): action, fantasy, mystery, economics, finances
    Number of Episodes: 11
    Additional Info: A rather short anime, but entertaining to say the least. In a way it's similar to Zatch Bell. Worth the watch.

Name of Anime: Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai
    Genre(s): comedy, drama, romance, supernatural, love triangle
    Number of Episodes: 11
    Additional: If you liked Clannad, this will be right up your alley. Very sad anime but definitely one of the best from last season.

(Will add more to my personal list later, but in the mean time, start posting your own recommendations)

Remember to keep all recommendations in this thread to reduce spam.

9. Amaury Legendary Hero

Name of Anime: Digimon
    Genres: Action, adventure, comedy, and drama
    Number of Episodes Total: 307 (including season 6, Xros Wars, that is currently airing in Japan)
    Additional Information: A show about digital monsters.

Name of Anime: Pokémon
    Genres: Action, adventure, comedy, and drama
    Number of Episodes Total: 653 (United States and not including season 14) and 659 (Japan and not including season 14)
    Additional Information: Current season is season 14, Black & White.

10. Iskandar King of Conquerors

would you mind telling me why Bleach isn't on there?

Name of Anime: Bleach
    Genres: Action, Comedy, Drama, Fantasy, Shounen, Super Power, Supernatural
    Number of episodes: 336 in Japan, 208 in America
    Additional Information: A show about a teenager who can see ghosts

Name of Anime: My-HiME
    Genres: action, drama, magic, romance
    Number of episodes: 26
    Additional Information: Very good show

Name of Anime: Yuyu Hakusho
    Genres: action, comedy, drama, supernatural, thriller, tournament
    Number of episodes: 112
    Additional Information: great if you like mysteries and/or action

Name of Anime: Kaze No Stigma
    Genre: action, comedy, drama, fantasy, romance, supernatural
    Additional Information: Like supernatural and elements? You'll like this

Name of Anime: Black Cat
    Genre: Action, Comedy, Drama, Sci-Fi, Shounen
    Additional Information: The show goes a little more into the story than the manga

11. Pinekaboo Chaser

Name of Anime: Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha, (A's, StrikerS)
    Genre(s): Action, Sci-fi, Magical Warrior
    Number of Episodes: 13, 13, 26 (52 total)
    Additional Info: Starts off very much like a standard Magical Girl anime, but with some slight differences to the norm. Third season (StrikerS) is somewhat different to the previous two, with the focus shifting to the Sci-Fi elements slightly more.

12. jojoj13 Hollow Bastion Committee

[​IMG]

Name of Anime: Bakemonogatari
    Genre(s): Comedy, Supernatural
    Number of Episodes: 15
    Additional Info: It's actually a pretty smart anime. Made by SHAFT.

[​IMG]

Name of Anime: The Place Promised In Our Early Days
    Genre(s): Romance, Science Fiction
    Number of Episodes: Film
    Additional Info: If you liked Makoto Shinkai's "5 Centimeters Per Second", you will love this.

[​IMG]

Name of Anime: Summer Wars
    Genre(s): Science Fiction, Comedy
    Additional Info: It's directed by Mamoru Hosoda, who also directed "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time", "Digimon: Our War Movie", "Digimon Movie", etc.

[​IMG]

Name of Anime: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure OVA
    Genre(s): Action, Supernatural
    Number of Episodes: 13
    Additional Info: I wonder why it isn't even in there.

[​IMG]

Name of Anime: Sword of the Stranger
    Genre(s): Action
    Additional Info: One of the best action-packed animations I've ever seen, very beautiful.

[​IMG]

Name of Anime: Millenium Actress
    Genre(s): Romance
    Additional Info: A great movie directed by the legendary Satoshi Kon (RIP), this movie really goes greatly with the style "movie with a movie".

13. Heart ❤ Enjoy every moment with all ya got

Name of Anime: Yu Gi Oh (original)
    Genre(s): Action, Drama
    Number of Episodes:224
    Additional Info: I've only ever watched the dub but it's a great anime. I grew up watching this and I still enjoy it now that I'm 13... And I still have the same favorite characters from when I was little xD

14. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

[​IMG]

Name of Anime: Mushi-Shi
    Genre(s): Supernatural/Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Drama
    Number of Episodes: 26 (Guess what? It won't take years to watch, because there's only one season!)
    Additional Info: It was difficult to place it in a genre. The stories in each episode are separate; they don't technically have to be watched in a certain order (but I don't see a reason why one wouldn't). The one constant being Ginko, the Mushi Master. Watching the English dub is beneficial for this anime because it is better to listen to any dialogue rather than have subs detract from the experience.

15. P Banned

[​IMG]
    Name of Anime: Elfen Lied
    Genre(s): Horror, Psychological, Seinen, Slice of Life
    Number of Episodes: 13.5
    Additional Info: Contains gore and other explicit material. Not appropriate for minors. Good psychological anime. Ended around a third of the way through the manga. Has an OVA. Worth watching. Has an English dub.

16. Heart ❤ Enjoy every moment with all ya got

[​IMG]
    Name of Anime:Inuyasha
    Genre(s): Adventure, Fantasy
    Number of Episodes: 167+ 26 of the Final Act which finishes the series
    Additional Info: The Final Act isn't dubbed yet by according to Viz Media it will be dubbed in early 2012 so sometime this year it will get dubbed then that is no one knows <_<

17. Splodge Twilight Town Denizen

Name of Anime: Chuunibyou demo koi ga shitai
    Genre(s): school life, comedy, romance
    Number of episodes: 12
    Additional Info: This anime is not a disappointment!

Name of Anime: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
    Genre(s): school life, comedy, action
    Number of episodes:28
    Additional Info: Season one is by far superior, because season two has, endless eight...The show is still very good though, it has a movie, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya,as well as a chibi series, The Melancholy of Haruhi-Chan and Nyoron.

18. CaptainMIG Gummi Ship Junkie

[​IMG]

name: great teacher onizuka
    genre: Action, comedy, drama, slice of life
    number of episodes: 43
    additional info: it's about a teacher who wants to be the best teacher of all and he like high school girls

19. Splodge Twilight Town Denizen

Most people in anime do...

20. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

Name: Toradora!
    Genre: Comedy, Romance, Tsundere, School Life
    Number of Episodes: 25
    Additional Info: One of the greatest romantic comedies i've ever seen. This one made me cry, laugh, and rage all at the same time.

Name: Acchi Kocchi
    Genre: Comedy, Romance, School Life
    Number of Episodes: 12
    Additional Info: One of the greatest romantic comedies i've seen. This one was so cute I could cry. It's short, but well worth the watch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.