Anchored Down

Discussion in 'Retirement Home' started by cstar, May 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cstar stay away from my waifu

[​IMG]
    ooc thread

It isn't clear how long you have been dead. It could feel like minutes, it could feel like weeks. Either way, everyone who was arriving in the New Arrival station had died within the same week.

The room looked kind of like an airport waiting room, only nicer and with very few people. Although much of the room was white, it wasn't an overbearing while that hurt the eyes. There were tables every couple or so feet with a colorful bouquet of flowers with a card in each one. There was a line of windows and a couple of the chairs had marked boxes on them, tied with a bow.

There may have been a few people who had already arrived, but there was one girl in the room holding a letter in her hands. Everyone just arriving had only a letter on them, indicating where they were, and what they would be doing.

The little girl, Rosemarie, had been in the room the longest out of the arrivals. She felt like she had been there forever, and she couldn't get over the fact that she'd passed on. However, when she saw someone new arrive, she would always go over and help the person out by explaining what was going on. She wished she had had that luxury, no one was here when she passed.

Everyone was waiting, adjusting to the situation, or arriving. Arrivals would come through a really fancy door to the east side of the room. When they entered, they stumbled in with an array of colors trailing them, like a rainbow. They arrived as if the last second of their life was interrupted, surrounded by only colors. Going through the door brought them to the room where others just as confused as they could adjust.

They were all waiting for whoever was coming to take them to the first meeting, but that shouldn't stop them from talking to others in the room. Or looking around the room.

2. Maka Albarn It's called love

[​IMG]

Gwen stood close to the wall by one of the many tables with flowers, taking in silent, deep breaths of air through her nose, then letting it gradually through her mouth. She had no idea how much time had passed, or what she was doing here, even though a girl named Rosemarie explained it to her the first time she stumbled through the door. Dead? Why? What happened? And if she was dead, was this Haven or Hell? How did this happened? So many questions circled through the girl's mind, giving her a slight headache.

"
    Calm down," she said to herself, inhaling again through her nose. She then exhaled, feeling the tension through her being let lose for a moment. She came on a Wednesday... That much she knew. What day was it now? She had no idea. Something had happened... She was here instead of home with her twin sister and parents, or ballet practice. But what was it...?

Finally figuring out she probably wouldn't get far by just standing around doing breathing exercises to calm down her nerves, she moved her feet in place and looked down at her hands. There was a letter, everyone got one. Maybe she could start here. That's right, she barely remembered Rosemarie saying something about everyone getting a letter of some sorts that explained things. Gwen was just freaked out that it slipped her mind. Standing still now, she opened the paper that she had found on her, and looked down to see what it said.

As Gwen quietly lipped the words from the letter, she felt a sense of dread form within her. So... This wasn't some weird dream. She was actually dead. Anchored for some reason to earth. But she was dead. Deceased. Gone. But someone... was going to help her. Or this group... And they had something for them?

Gwen lowered the letter, looking up at the row of chairs with boxes wrapped up with a pretty bow on them. Maybe that's what the letter meant. Pressing her lips together, Gwen walked over to one of the boxes, trying to figure out if there was a name on it or something to say that it was hers or not.

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  3. Aelin Best Waifu

[​IMG]
    A young girl stood in the far corner away from everyone. She had been in this waiting room one of the longest but unlike the other girl was not willing to go talk to people the moment they walked in. She had a blanket wrapped tightly around her, not because the room was cold, but that had become a source of comfort for her back when she spent half her life in a hospital. The day she knew was coming for a long while had come to pass recently and now she was rather at peace with it. Although she thought death would bring an end to her sickness, and though it did for the most part she still had symptoms at times, mainly a bad cough that would come up for a short period of time before dying down again.

Looking around the room there were letters and boxes, and despite being their for a while Camilla didn't bother investigating. She was not sure how to take everything still. The nineteen year old was surprised at the amount of younger people here, and she thought she had died fairly young. Though spending as much time as she did in the hospital she saw a lot of young people die before it was her time. Camilla slowly walked over to one of the boxes and started to untie the ribbon out of curiosity of what was inside and a lack of anything better to do at this time. She didn't know what to say to anyone else. She lacked social skills due to spending most of her life in a bed.

A young boy stumbled through the door as he looked up and around not sure what had happened. He was mumbling something. "I-I have to do it before Tasha comes home. She can't see me do this. I can't be more of a burden to her." He mumbled nervously as he brought his hand up to his temple feeling for a hole where he had shot himself, but it wasn't there. He looked down searching for the gun to try again, but it was gone. He looked around not recognizing where he was, and remembering very little except trying to kill himself. "Where am I. What is this place?" He asked in a nervous mumble stepping forward slightly.

They boy looked at the people around him and the white room and didn't know what to think of it or what any of it was. He took another few steps in. "What is this place?" He asked again forgetting that he had just asked it. His hands shook. "Did, did my sister set this up. What is this?" He stammered once more.

4. Fellangel Bichael May

[​IMG]
    Was it fortunate for Sasha to have died later than everyone else? "Darkness...and cold...was that really the last experience I felt before...I passed on?" She clutched the letter within her hands as she eyed the pure-white room. She wished everything on that letter was some sort of joke. Apparently not. She let out a few soft coughs, a rather annoying trait she happened to have as soon as she set foot in the place. "Did I really die? I expected the afterlife would look more like a cloudy haven. Maybe it will once we find out what happened...but it's annoying. How I can't remember what happened before coming here..."

She scanned the room. Apparently she wasn't the only person that was confused over all of this. Not to mention the layout of the room was puzzling. Boxes, chairs, and all other sorts filled the room. She walked over to a table and ran her fingers along the surface. She wondered how long the other people were in this room. Possibly weeks before her arrival? Due to the situation, it seems she died much later than the rest of the people. She wandered over to the rather confused boy and sighed.
    "Believe me. I think we are all asking them ourselves. Not to mention I doubt your sister has anything to do with your...our current predicament."

5. CrownMoksha Decimo

[​IMG]

This was all quite the set up. Was the first thing that came to mind as Ken looked around the room he'd just walked into. In his hand was the letter than explained everything, why here was here. What he was doing here and most importantly, that he'd died. That would explain why the last thing that he remembers was a sharp pain to the his head. To be honest, he wasn't expecting to die anytime soon, despite the bad luck he's had throughout his entire life. Shame he was only able to get so far.

All that aside it was time to get a better feel for his surroundings. There were a couple of other people here already, flowers on the table and boxes with bows on the chairs. People had already started to look at the tags of said boxes. Much like two other people, he was getting curious as to what was in the boxes so he started to make his way towards them. Doing so had allowed him to get a closer look at one of girls who were looking at the boxes. For a brief moment a surprise looked arose on his face, but it soon faded as he walked up to Gwen and lightly tapped her shoulder.
    "Hey."

6. Glen Returned from the dead

[​IMG]
    Jacob hobbled over to the boy that had asked the question and the girl that had responded to him. He had a cane and used it. He didn't have need of them, but it was what he was used to. The man held up the letter he had received, as if it was the most important thing in the world at that time. "If you'd bother to read the letter that was given to you, it would explain things a little more, I should think. As difficult as it may be to swallow, young man, you are in fact dead. All of us here" he said, gesturing around the room at the other inhabitants, "are dead. Your sister has nothing to do with this, the young lady is correct. If the letter is correct, we shall be brought to a meeting point shortly, so I would suggest waiting here and gathering your thoughts in the meantime. The last thing we need is some young whippersnapper making a lot of noi-" he began, before he was interrupted by a loud yell.

[​IMG]
    "Yahoooooo!" Mark Furgot yelled as he dashed through the door and into the arrival station, leaving a trail of rainbow colours behind him and one very powerful look of irritation on the face of the old man that had been speaking. "Damn, this place looks preeeeeetty neat" he said, gazing around. "It's so....fancy" he added, before noticing the letter that he had hanging off of a piece of string on his scarf. How long had that been there? Opening it up, he read it, and as he did so his eyes grew wider and wider. "I'm dead?!" he exclaimed. "B-but I can't be dead, I f-feel so alive! How can thi- PRESENTS, awesome!" Mark shouted gleefully, forgetting his predicament as he raced over to the marked boxes and began reading what the writing on each said, hoping he could find one that was labelled with his name on it.

7. Mysty Unknown

[​IMG]

It was all a faded memory. Her life was only just beginning and it had ended so soon. She looked at the contents of the letter. Thankfully it was in her own native tongue. She was only visiting whatever foreign country it was with her father. She just knew she fell asleep and then awoke in this place, a place of white that blended with her own hair.

She had died apparently. The usual smile had become a frown and the sadness was beginning to take hold of Emi. "How did I die? How will mama and papa handle this? I'm.. I'm scared." She began to shake as she felt all alone among this crowd of ghosts. Her gaze looked forward, looking through the bodies in front of her, only seeing her own memories poor into her. The people she loved, the friends she had made, the country she had now been separated from: all were gone within a flash.

Emi lost her composure and let out a scream. Her hands covered the top of her head as she fell to the ground into a ball. Tears ran down her face as she cried in sorrow. Her mind was filled with negativity on how those she had interacted with would react.

8. Maka Albarn It's called love

[​IMG]

As Gwen was examining the package, she felt a tap on her shoulder. Nearly jumping out of her skin (so to speak), she whirled around to see who had touched her, thinking it was one of the other dead folk or...

"
    Ken?!" Her jaw dropped in disbelief, not expecting her best friend to be here. She placed the package back on the chair and gave Ken a big hug, pushing aside the fact it could make him uncomfortable or not. "What are you doing here?" she asked, pulling away to get a good look at him. "Erm, I mean... Wow, that was stupid." She scratched at her neck nervously, trying to piece words together as they rushed through her overwhelmed mind. Duh, they were here because they were both dead somehow. She tried again. "What... What happened? Are you okay?" Wow, she just couldn't ask the right questions. She put her hands behind her back, giving Ken some time to answer before she let her mouth run wild again.

[​IMG]

Nikola was by one of the many windows, clutching his throat as he took in wheezing breaths of air... He felt nothing though. Nothing. He couldn't breathe, but he was fine. If he swallowed, there was nothing there TO swallow. But he couldn't feel his chest moving up and down at all, or feel the beat of his heart pounding in his ears the moment he died. He half listened to the conversations coming from behind him, still processing the letter he had read since he arrived here. People young, and also some rare old folks, were freaking out just as much as he was. Sputtering out one final cough, Nikola felt the sensation of choking disappear for just a moment, giving him some kind of relief from this weird dream. But he didn't get to relax long.

A shrill scream shook him out of his thoughts, making him turn to face the source from whence it came. He turned just in time to see a girl with white hair collapse to the floor in a ball of despair, clearly having a meltdown from all of this. "
    Oh boy," he whispered under his breath. Glancing around at the others that were in the room, he decided to be brave and began to walk up to the sobbing girl as carefully as he could. "Hey," he said gently to try to not frighten the crying girl, sitting beside her on the floor. "I'm scared too," he said with a small but kind smile with a tilt of his head. "My name is Nikola. Kind of rhymes with Coca-Cola. But you can call me Niko or Nick." He shook his head at his own silliness and then looked to the young girl. "Did you read the letter?" he asked softly, trying to coax some small talk of some sorts.

9. Aelin Best Waifu

The young boy, Caleb looked down at his shaking hands. "You mean I actually... I actually did it? I pulled the trigger? I-I didn't think I had the courage.... Oh goodness. Tasha." Caleb put his head in his hands trying to regain his composer as he thought to what his sister might be like now, finding his dead body on the floor. Caleb's entire body trembled as he stepped forward to get his letter that the people here were talking about. Apparently it was meant to explain things, that what the others said.

"Uh, eh, thanks..." He manage to grumble before he took his letter and sat on the floor in a corner. He tried to think of everything that had lead him up to this but he couldn't even remember his thoughts walking in the door to this place. Caleb considered opening the letter to read it, but he really didn't feel like it. He didn't feel like doing anything at all. Just sitting their staring at a blank wall. That had been a common things in the months prior to his death. He just wanted it to end, all of it. But the familiar feeling of emptiness seemed to follow him into the after life as well. So the letter sat sealed in his hand that was propped up on his knee. He stared out at the other people mulling around but didn't say anything, just watched.

[​IMG]
    Camilla stopped untying the bow of the package for a moment as she turned to a rather loud young man running towards one himself. Camilla watched with curious eyes. He seemed so happy. How could anyone be so happy about dying? The other boy that stumbled in not long before was like most, upset and confused. When she died she was sad but at peace given the fight was finally over, she didn't have to spend another day trying to hang on as people scurried around her trying to save her, but no one talking the time to talk to her, see her as just a person. They were all so busy, always.

Camilla caught herself staring and quickly looked back down at the box in her hands, gently untying the bow to keep the ribbon in the best shape possible. "W-what do you suppose is inside?" She asked quietly and nervously to the others who were looking at boxes themselves. Camilla began to shiver and cough for a moment before it passed and she felt perfectly fine once more. Though during her coughing fit she grabbed her arm to try to make herself small and keep warm, not that it was needed anymore anyways. Now that it was over she hadn't let go of her arm, just held it and stared at the box not sure what to do.

10. cstar stay away from my waifu

The three boxes that were laying on the chairs all had people approach and attempt to open them.

The box in front of Mark was marked "Yesterday." Inside there was another box with a lock, but no key to open it.

The box in front of Gwen was marked "Today." Opening it revealed a small heart-shaped box that was easily able to be opened. There was an inscription in cursive on the box that read: Everything happens for a reason, even if it hurts.

The box in front of Camilla was marked "Tomorrow", upon opening it, a bird flew out of the box and landed on the back of the chair. The bird tweeted happily and seemed to be unafraid of any of the people. It flapped it's wings as if waiting for something.

11. CrownMoksha Decimo

[​IMG]
    The surprised reaction to seeing him was well within Ken's expectations for how Gwen would react to seeing him again. The hug however wasn't, but he didn't push her away or anything like. It was Perfectly natural to have that kinds of reaction after now seeing someone for so long. Plus, given the conditions of them being here, it made it more so okay. "It's complicated."

After Gwen had given him some space after their hug, she'd asked him some more questions.
    "I'm fine, relatively speaking of course." The pain in the back of his head wasn't bothering him so yeah, he was perfectly fine despite being dead. His eyes glanced over to the boxed labeled 'today' and he took a step over to it to open it. He was curious as to what was in it after all. What he found inside was a heart shaped box, which he proceeded to show to Gwen. "Not sure what this is for."

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  12. Maka Albarn It's called love

[​IMG]

Ken was his usual self; not one to give much of an explanation or to go into details. That gave Gwen some comfort that some things were still normal in the limbo world. She watched as Ken reached for her package which was labeled 'Today' to reveal a beautiful heart shaped box. "It's a gift to us, the letter says so. I think it said 'Here's something to have before the meeting starts'... I think it meant that. But I'm not sure why... There's more boxes," the girl gestured to the others on the chair while seeing others open theirs as well. A bird flew out of one and landed on a chair not too far away. That was unexpected. This place was starting to remind her of something out of Harry Potter... But less magical. Gwen reached into the box and took out the heart shaped one into her hands, carefully looking it over. "Everything happens for a reason, even if it hurts," she read aloud. Curious, the girl opened the lid and peered inside. She raised an eyebrow, showing Ken the contents of the other box; a package of small crushed up bread crumbs and a tiny bell wrapped in a lemon yellow ribbon. "I wonder what these are for," she mused. "Maybe this one is for the little bird?" she guessed with a smile, pointing to the bread crumbs. Gwen then picked up the small bell and gave it a little shake to see what kind of noise it would make.

13. cstar stay away from my waifu

Despite being a tiny bell, the ring was loud and echoed throughout the room. A cracking noise was heard, and up high in the ceiling a small hole appeared. There was a strange humming coming from the hole, and an occasional clanking noise.

The bird on the chair looked up at the hole and let out another chirp as it didn't take it's focus from the hole.

None of the chairs could reach the ceiling, even if every single chair was stacked up on top of one another. It was that high up.

14. Aelin Best Waifu

[​IMG]
    Camilla jumped and dropped the box as a small bird came out of it. She looked around at the others then picked up her box and walked over to the small bird, doing her best not to scare it off. She drew closer as if she was going to pet it, but her attention got drawn away by a ringing of a bell and a crack. Camilla looked up to see a hole in the roof far above and a strange humming noise. A machine? It was possible. Camilla looked to the others for help on the situation. She wanted to ask them but she felt silly asking, everyone would be asking the same question wouldn't they?

Turning back to the bird Camilla finally felt that she could talk sort of, at least if it counts as talking when the only words spoken were to a bird. "Hi there, what were you doing in a box? Are you dead too, do birds also have an afterlife?" Camilla asked it as she brought her index finger up to gently pet the birds. She didn't want to be rough with it, but at the same time there wasn't much her thin, weak body could do to it.

15. cstar stay away from my waifu

The bird let sung out a small song as it hopped onto Camilla's finger. After a few more seconds it flew up to Camilla's shoulder and rested almost on the warmth of her neck. It then continued to look up at the ceiling.

16. Maka Albarn It's called love

[​IMG]

Nikola covered his ears when he heard a loud ringing, and then looked up when he saw a crack in the ceiling, and then a hole appeared at the top. Nikola took his hands away from his ears, staring up at where the new hole was. He could hear some kind of humming noise and a clank. "That was weird," the young man said, glancing over at the frightened girl. He smiled gently and then looked around the room. The gifts were already opened, but there were flowers in vases along the tables against the walls. "Do you like flowers?" he asked the girl. "Here, let's go take a look, hm?" Nikola stood up, gesturing the girl to follow him if she'd like to. He walked over to the first bouquet of flowers, seeing that there was a card placed in it. He took the card and opened it, peering inside to see if there was anything on it.

[​IMG]

With wide eyes, Gwen held the bell as she stared up at the hole she had mysteriously created. "Oops..." She could hear a humming noise, and clanking of sorts coming from the opening. "Well, that was unexpected..." She carefully placed the bell back in the little heart shaped box, not wanting to disturb anything else. "This is why we can't have nice things," she joked with a sheepish smile, glancing at Ken. She then looked over at the small bird that had seemed to take a liking to the girl who set him free. The bird didn't bother to fly up to the hole, or leave the girl's side. Strange. Hesitating, Gwen took out the bread crumbs and walked up to the girl, closing the lid on the heart shaped box as she carried it with her in the other hand. "Um, hi," she said, rocking on her heels a bit. "I got this in my box... Not sure why. I thought maybe your bird might like it." She held it out to Camilla, waiting for her to take it. "My name is Gwen by the way... My friend over there is Ken." Gwen nodded her head to Ken, giving him a smile before looking over to Camilla.

17. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

[​IMG]

Rajesh was still reeling from trying to process what happened. He sat shaking in a chair, his face buried in one hand, the letter clutched in the other. The cheery words danced in his head, "Welcome to the afterlife, you're dead!" accompanied by screeching tires and sharp lights. He felt like he was going to be ill. Only vaguely was he aware of the other people and goings-on in the room, until someone rang a bell. His head jerked up, and his eyes widened at the sight and sound of a hole opening high in the ceiling.

Having been jerked from his thoughts, he found himself feeling somewhat guilty for being short with and brushing off the young girl who had approached him upon arrival--Rosemarie--as he'd imploded. Rajesh strained to remember some of her words as he glanced around the room, still keeping his eyes low. Most everyone here was so young.

He remembered from Rosemarie and from the letter that everyone gathered here was intended to form some sort of group...yet Rajesh still felt too agitated to interact or socialize yet. However, he did stand and shuffle awkwardly to the nearest table. Spying the card placed in the flowery centerpiece, he plucked it up and opened it to read.

18. cstar stay away from my waifu

Each card approached contained something very similar written on each one.

For the one Nikola looked at, it was written:
    In Loving Memory of Caleb Rask
    -Tasha

For the one Rajesh read, it was written:
    In Loving Memory of George Froio.
    It's not goodbye, it's farewell for now.
    -Lisa

19. Aelin Best Waifu

[​IMG]
    Camilla felt the warmth of the bird on her neck and smiled, she even giggled slightly. However the giggle sounded out of place, almost embarrassing. Given the current situation, it seemed no place for giggling. But she had accepted her death, meaning their was room for enjoyment. Some others however didn't. Camilla had been waiting to die for months before she did, it wasn't unexpected for her. She noticed it was looking at the ceiling again, so she too looked up. "What is going on up there? Do you have any idea?" She asked the bird gently as she pet the top of it's head.

It was then that another girl walked over to her. She brought some bread crumbs and began to introduce herself. "Perhaps he would. You can try feeding it to him." Camilla said not sure how else to respond to it. She didn't know what the bird would want. "My name is Camilla Shrinder. Nice to meet you." Camilla said in a slightly awkward tone. She didn't know if she was allowed to sound happy or not, and what else she should say. Social situations were hard, but social situations when everyone just died were worse.

[​IMG]
    Eventually after sitting with the letter in his hand for a long moment Caleb decided to open it and see exactly what this was all about. The letter was so cheery. What was so cheery about being dead, except you were no longer a burden to those you cared about? Apparently there was going to be some sort of meeting as well. A big waste of time is what that would be. Caleb threw the letter on the ground beside him and simply watched as the roof opened. It was certainly odd but this whole thing was odd, it was none of his concern. Grumbling he stood up. "When is this damn meeting thing going to start. Sooner it starts the sooner it is over and I can go on with my dead life." He spoke irritated with everything.

20. Maka Albarn It's called love

[​IMG]

Nikola hummed when he read the message on the card and read the name of who it was addressed to. It was like something someone would find at a funeral home or a memorial site. Turning around with the card in his hand, he realized he didn't know who he was looking for. Clearing his throat, he decided to call out the name. "Is there a Caleb Rask here? Caleb Rask? Um... These flowers are for you. Someone named Tasha gave them to you?" Or at least it was addressed to him by Tasha, but Nikola decided to not try to change what he said. He looked around, seeing if anyone perked up at the mention of that name.

[​IMG]

"Nice to meet you, Camilla. Here, hold out your hand," Gwen said with a smile and a tilt of her head. "He seems to like you the most. I don't think he'll trust me so much. You did open the box to free him after all." Gwen didn't notice the social awkwardness much. Ken gave her practice to not mind things like that at all but try to talk to people and get them to gradually come out of their comfort zone. "Strange place, isn't it?" Gwen said, looking around at all the people still milling around and then looked up at the ceiling where the hole was made. "I did that," she whispered softly. "Don't tell anyone else." She shrugged her shoulders in embarrassment, grinning shyly. "I got a bell with the bread crumbs... It's so tiny though, I didn't think it'd make a loud sound and do that. I wonder what's up there."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.