Accents.

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Glen, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Glen Returned from the dead

Should be pretty obvious what this topic is about. What's your favorite accent? It frustrates me how some people are convinced that they don't have an accent, when just about everyone does have one. Discuss.

2. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

I believe my favorite accent is when Americans speak Norwegian. It's adorable.

3. Saxima [screams geometrically]

I love thick Russian accents~

I'm also very fond of British accents and Italian accents. I used to have a Spanish accent growing up, but it was after I moved away from Mexico. It's gone now. The Southern Louisiana drawl makes me sleepy, so I like that one too. c:

4. Amaury Legendary Hero

Well, if it's, say, an American talking to an American, then, technically, there are no accents.
    However, it it's, say, an American talking to a Mexican, then, yes, there are accents.

5. Jin うごかないで

mine are , italian american , which my cousins have , Scottish and Australian , they all just sound awesome xD and i just have a plain old British , west Yorkshire accent

6. Fayt-Harkwind Where yo curly mustache at?

There are multiple accents for Americans, just as there are for any other country.
    Besides, if two people with the same accent talk to one another then they can't hear their accents as accents but they still have an accent.

There are different accents I like and some I don't like but if I get to know people with them then they'll grow on me and I won't mind them. Lately I've been hearing a mixture of different scouse accents and I don't mind scouse accents since I know a lot of people with them but for some reason these variants of the scouse accent I've been hearing lately have been very jarring. It could just be because of the people they belong to to be honest but one of them is so scouse I thought he was Welsh for a few days.

I do hate forced or tweak accents though, like when the person has an accent already but they decide they want to make it more noticeable so they try to do their accent at a much stronger rate. Sort of like putting an accent over an accent. Pretty much everytime Hugh Grant is on tv. I also dislike the type of English accent where they sound posh even if they're so far from posh they might as well be scouse to match stereotypes. I'm also not fond of when people say "British accent" because there's the Welsh, Scottish, Northern Irish and English to account for before you've even started on all the accents in each place. I know that they mean "That posh accent of the bad guy from that Steven Segal film I saw last night" but still, it's not the right term to use.

I've never really heard my own accent properly because I don't know my own voice and I haven't heard my voice on video or audio since I was like 12 but apparently people seem to like it a bit, except I tend to have a sore throat a lot and suddenly everyone thinks I'm from Poland or something if they don't know me.

7. Day~Dream Kingdom Keeper

French accents are my favorite. It sounds so sexy and sophisticated in my opinion. XD

But I understand what you mean about the whole annoying thing when people w/ accents swear they don't have one. Of course they wouldn't hear it. (can't really blame them) People tell me I have a spanish accent all the time though I never hear it when I speak. (I believe it though cuz english is my 2nd language so there's bound to be some hint of that in my voice)

I really like people with accents. They sound so cute! I just wanna give em' a hug.

8. Llave Superless Moderator

I have quite a huge fondness towards Scottish accents, they are very distinct. For some reason, I do like a bit on how Glaswegian Scottish accents sound, but I suppose I like all of them. I think the thing that tips me off the most are their use of syntax and vernacular. "Aye, I dinnae ken where the fellow be." I love saying this. I hope to develop a Scottish accent over time, it would be quite fun.

9. Krown King's Apprentice

My favorite accent would be Italian. It just sounds so soothing. ​

10. Glen Returned from the dead

Well naturally i have an aussie accent, but i like American accents and British accents. New Zealand accents frustrate the hell out of me usually.

11. Llave Superless Moderator

Uh oh... P, pay no attention to that. ^

American accents are quite broad. I do find it interesting how we pronounce our 'r's more in the back of our throats and 'd' and 't' sound kind of the same. So "metal" an "medal" sound the same. That's of course, "Standard American accent". I personally find there are little tidbits of your residential area in little words and such. For instance: When I was in Missouri for about 3 months, people could tell I have an "accent". I often say "yeayeayeah", which is a more "Philadelphia" quirk. xD

12. Korosu Kingdom Keeper

Irish accents are just so friggin cute, I love them. Daxa and Ingrid<3 I find it interesting to listen to how people from other places pronounce things, it most of the time gives me great amusement. I get what you mean, I say it all the time "I don't have an accent!" etc. Not my fault, I can't hear it since it sounds normal to me. I dislike it when people try to tweak their accent, making it more noticeable, it annoys me slightly unless it's cute then I don't mind~
    Also, french accents. numnumnum

13. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

I want to add some funfacts here. It's about dialects in Norway, so unless you're interested, don't read this.
    Norway is known (at least for the people who have visited several places in Norway) all the different dialects we have here.
    The reason I'm posting this here, is because the dialects are so different that some people don't understand each other.
    For example, I'm from the South-Western part of Norway, and I have a very unique dialect. There are many people from Oslo who don't understand me. The first year I spent in a college in Norway my advisor was from Oslo and she didn't understand me.
    Anyhow, Norway has 430 municipalities and though this is very general, there are about 1-2 dialects within each single one. By multiplying 430 with 1.5, you get 645.

It's a rough estimate, but that means that there are approx. 645 dialects in Norway. If you are interested in dialects and accent, take a trip to Norway, or ask me to demonstrate a couple of them.

And to make this related to accents; as far as English accents go, I think Irish has to be my favorite.

14. Feenie Finny, Fin of the Feenie Fish

I really like Irish accents, I find them really nice to listen to.

15. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

If I'm honest, I love the English accent, not all of them though- not a big fan of the Brummy or Scouse accent but I do love the West country, Nothern and Cockney accents xD. It's only very recently that I've been beginning to notice these accents and the differences between them. I also adore the Welsh, Scottish and Irish accent (so anything from the UK XD) as they just seem to remind me of comedy for the reason that it's me watching stand up comedy that gave me this insight to distinguishing accents. For example, when someone says Welsh I think of Rob Brydon or Rhod Gilbert, if someone says Scottish I think of Kevin Bridges or Danny Bhoy, if someone says Irish I think of Dara O'Brien or Ed Byrne and if someone says English I think of Michael McIntyre using his multitude of accents xD.

There are other accents I like but I can't tell the difference between American and Canadian accents and any accents within those countries because to me they all sound similar. I do love the Texan accent though as it reminds me of the Engineer from Team Fortress 2 or Ellis from Left 4 Dead 2.

So bottom line, I like accents that remind me of things I enjoy xD which is slightly weird I do realise.

16. smeen Destiny Islands Resident

I adore Australian accents. They are just so... I dunno, sexy?

17. miaulement Traverse Town Homebody

This is definantly something to get me to say I like Australian accents, isn't it?!

... I like Australian accents. :C There.
    I also find French and German accents pretty neat. :)

I have an American accent. Southern accent, west Tennessee dialect.

18. Te Deum Hollow Bastion Committee

Those scare the **** out of me.

Even though I'm part Russian.

My favorite would have to be Spanish accents.

19. x0xnaminex0x Destiny Islands Resident

I did like russian accents in the past, but english accents have grown on me lately. i do love most accents i believe that accents show who you are and the country you represent, but thats just me thoughts. all in all i love english and russian accents and i think they are just lovely.

20. Daxa~ #stalker

Irish accents are getting some love here <3

Myself,I adore Scottish accents.
    So much.
    *cough*Clawtooth*cough*Finny*cough*Kitty*cough* :3
    And French accents are sooo lovely aswelll.....nomnom.

Since I am Irish,I do posses an Irish accent.
    Surprise!
    But I am not a leprechuan.
    Just saying :3