Dream Drop Distance About the Title

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts HD II.8: Final Chapter Prologue' started by Mako Tsunami, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Mako Tsunami Kingdom Keeper

Seeing as how Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance is technically the continuation of Sora's storyline, Can it technically be called Kingdom Hearts 3?

Discuss.

2. Mama-mia Merlin's Housekeeper

Chain of Memories continued where KH1 left off, and that's definitely not KH2.

3. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

This. Kingdom Hearts III is the title that will be released once FFvsXIII is done.

4. Mako Tsunami Kingdom Keeper

True. Then again most people I know considered CoM to be a Kingdom Hearts 1.5, as it was a key part in the main storyline. With that in mind, would this be a Kingdom Hearts 2.5?

5. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

I suppose. I don't get why you'd refer to it as anything other than 3D or Dream Drop Distance in the first place, though. *shrugs*

6. Hayabusa Venomous

Birth By Sleep = 0
    Kingdom Hearts = 1
    Chain of Memories = 1.5
    358/2 Days = 1.75
    Kingdom Hearts II = 2
    Dream Drop Distance = 2.5

Didn't include Coded because lol that game.

7. Mako Tsunami Kingdom Keeper

I'm just saying because I was wondering, why the complicated title? But now I see a pattern here. First game, exposition, second game, (insert filler here) exposition, third game. Maybe we've finally cracked Nomura's storyline blueprint!

8. Mixt The dude that does the thing

It does have relevance in 3D as shown in the trailers. Though I'm honestly guessing it is going to feel very staple plotted and not have a lot of relevance to the plot overall.

9. Hayabusa Venomous

Well, I only know of the ending really having much relevance. Haven't played it, nor intend to.

I'm guessing if I had to give it a number, it would be 2.25

10. Mako Tsunami Kingdom Keeper

The only real relevancy Coded has to 3D is the discovery of data from other people inside Sora, and Yen Sid deciding to put Sora and Riku through the Mark of Mastery Exam. Both of which could be figured out just by playing 3D. So it doesn't hold much purpose, IMO. Plus the Sora in Coded isn't actually Sora, which doesn't make it a part of the main storyline (Sora's timeline).

11. Mixt The dude that does the thing

And Maleficent is really interested in the Datascape for some reason.

12. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

Just a sidenote: all the side- titles in the kingdom hearts series have something to do qith computers or computer notation, possible with the exception of days, though I guess the / instead of divide?

Just a small thing I thought was relevant considering we were discussign the game's title.

13. Hayabusa Venomous

What do you mean by side-titles?

14. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Coded
    358/2 Days
    Birth by Sleep

Coded is obvious
    Birth by Sleep = BBS = Bulletin Board System
    And I thought there was a cleaner way to make Days fit the theme

15. Hayabusa Venomous

Oh, abbreviations. Yeah, I don't see how 358/2 Days fits that though.

16. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

Well the only way I see it divide in computer code is always / like the title ... but that's all I've got for that one.

17. Krowley Moderator

Taking the mark of mastery is an achievement but not enough to be considered a main title.

The Title Dream Drop Distance was explained a few days ago by Nomura in an interview;

Source;
    http://www.siliconera.com/2012/03/23/nomura-explains-kingdom-hearts-3d-dream-drop-distances-title/

18. Mako Tsunami Kingdom Keeper

From what I've seen of trailers and the game's opening, this game won't JUST be the Mark of Mastery. There could be very important plot points that make the cut for "main title". We simply don't know yet.

As for the interview, yes, I've seen it. But this thread isn't about the deep meaning behind the title but why it needs a complicated title in the first place, instead of just calling it KH3.

19. Krowley Moderator

Ahh, I see. I always though main titles originated only on consoles, and Valid plot points were featured in Portable games.

Birth By sleep (PSP)
    Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
    Chain of Memories (GBA)
    358/2 Days (DS)
    Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2)
    Coded (Mobile Phone)
    Dream Drop Distance (3DS)

I don't count the RE: Versions.

20. Mako Tsunami Kingdom Keeper

Birth By Sleep was considered to be a "console game" by Nomura. So we could call that Kingdom Hearts 0.5 (exposition), added to the fact that it contains the biggest plot points of the whole series and (somewhat) follows Sora's timeline without him being the main character.

Kingdom Hearts 1 was the beginning of the series, and followed Sora's timeline, so obviously it's classified as a main title.

CoM was ported to the PS2 after a large protest from the fans, but was still treated as an "exposition game" since it has major plot points and follows Sora's timeline.

358/2 Days had very little to do with the overall plot whatsoever, therefore it is filler.

Kingdom Hearts 2 followed Sora's timeline, had major plot points and follows the exposition game, therefore it is a main title.

Coded has little to build upon the plot at all since the main plot points it contributes are automatically known once you play KH3D, and it doesn't follow Sora's timeline, therefore it is filler.
    Since you play as Data Sora.

With this in mind, Dream Drop Distance, since it follows Sora's timeline and is after KH2 and before KH3, is the next Exposition Game and not KH3.

Am I the only one that sees the pattern?