Digital Art 「Christmas Challenge 2012」

Discussion in 'Arts & Graphics' started by What?, Dec 3, 2012.

1. What? 『 music is freedom 』

What is this self-imposed challenge?
    The nature of this thread is quite simple!
    To make at least two avatars every two to three days until Christmas Eve.
    To develop my existing graphic art skills and potentially learn new tricks.
    Every two or three days I will make a collection of terrible avatars in such a way that I can be festive and fun and Christmas-y while also being able to look directly on my past work and see where I can improve. To put it simply, this thread serves as a self-journal of continual improvement along a single continuum.
    Critique is heavily encouraged, as this is about improvement. It would also be fun if any other graphic artists wished to join this little challenge - they are certainly free to!
    Happy Holidays!
    Borders :: Curved
    Dimensions :: Approx. 200 x 200 with potential deviations
    Use? :: Permission via thread (if you are crazy enough to use these. It is akin to wearing an artist's concept sketches)
    December 03
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

December 04

[​IMG]  [​IMG]

2. T3F Chaser

This is absolutely gorgeous! I love the colour and the softness. Keep up the good work!!!

3. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

Okay . . . these are terrible? I don't know what you define as a good avatar, but in my book these are absolutely lovely. I dabble in avatar making myself and with what little knowledge I have on the matter I can assure you that these are excellent ^.^ I would like to take a few tips from you actually, this journal will assuredly help not only yourself (you don't really need it) but also others too.

4. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

Yeah What? these are lovely and I may partake in thsi challenge as, although I make a lot of avatars, I want to improve and I need to play around with colours more :3 I look forward to seeing your huge collection!

5. What? 『 music is freedom 』

Thank you dearly! Achieving a balance is a fun task.

Danke!

I would certainly not mind giving tips! Is there anything particular you are wishing to achieve from the above work?

Ah, please do! The more the merrier, especially when 'tis the season, and improvement is always applicable. Thank you very much!

New submissions!

December 04
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These two avatars are a bit simpler in process. There were less focuses on the background of the icons and more on attempting to emphasize certain parts of it, or the foreground as a whole. Sharpening and a wee bit of blurring was also used more selectively here and there. Also some experimentation with a few filters. Though much of it seems a bit subtle.

6. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

How do you get all of them to have such an elegant feel?

7. Railos Hollow Bastion Committee

Wow, these are really cute. If this is what you call terrible, then good must either be the other way around for you, or incredibly awesome.

8. Shinichi Izumi Totally Pink and stuff

some of these are incredible! could i use?

9. NightCrisis Twilight Town Denizen

I love the December 4 ones. The girl's really cute. <3 Did you design these yourselves? As in to say--made the design?

10. What? 『 music is freedom 』

(Well it seems that I was never able to complete this due to business. Next year it is!)
    Various effects -- dodge and burn is a godsend, and messing around with levels and sharpness is a good way to make things kick and stand out, for one. Clipping masks are also an amazing tool to use when done effectively, along with transparent layers.

It would be an honour.

I did not draw these, sadly, you can credit the lovely artists at Pixiv and elsewhere for that! For many graphics around the forum, the prime things to look for are the graphical effects, as the base image is but a stock to develop things from.

11. NightCrisis Twilight Town Denizen

That's too bad, really... But they're still nice. ^ ^