When They Cry: Higurashi

Discussion in 'Anime and Manga' started by Shikou, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Shikou Kingdom Keeper

A anime about a guy the moves into a small village called Hinamizawa in the 1980's and makes friends. During a yearly festival that takes place on June 8th, someone dies and someone goes missing. He starts to suspect his friends are murdering people and tries to get answers when all hes doing the most of the time is survive. I adore this anime. Its truly a piece of art. I highly recommend it to anyone that like horror mystery anime. :inlove:
    There is a English Dub by Funimation but that is only the first season, the rest is left unfinished except for season 1. There is a manga in English by Yen Press if anyone is interested because the anime version feels a bit rushed and the manga version is more close to the original version of the story (The visual novel). There is also live action movies based on the original story too.

For people that get confused on their first time watching here is the story line in order.
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (season 1, 26 episodes)
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai (season 2, 24 episodes and the original story line ends here)
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei (OVA, 5 episodes)
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira (OVA, 4 episodes)
    [​IMG]

2. Bushy "Don't think. Imagine!"

I swear we already have a thread for this, but oh well. XD
    I can't find it anyway lol

I love this series.
    Higurashi is probably the best psychological anime I have ever come upon.
    I have all the currently out manga of it and the DVD boxsets. (trying to get the game lol)
    Everything about Higurashi is truly awesome. It is probably an anime I would say to add to the 'Must watch before you die' list.

But yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of Kira will play out. Or if we'll get some OVA eps of the manga chapters that never made it to the anime such as the 'Demon Exposing Arc' or the 'Beyond Midnight Arc'
    admittedly, I can see why they weren't a part of the main series being kinda separate from the main action, but they were still important and very good parts of the series.

Yup, to whoever hasn't given this a go but is thinking about it:
    WATCH IT!

3. Shikou Kingdom Keeper

Does it matter if we already have a tread about it even when someone like me doesn't know it exist? lol
    I got bored and wrote about this anime because I love it so much.
    Like seriously, how could they not add "Deamon Exposing" or "Beyond Midnight" arc? Im happy they are giving Shion more screen time (UNLIKE Higurashi Rei!) but like OMG if they are making stuff out they should at least make a episode where Shion and Satoshi date because they were not able to show them happy together at all which makes me sad because me and Shion are like the exact same, I know exactly how she felt about Satoshi (except Im a guy lol).

4. SparksOfLogic Merlin's Housekeeper

I only liked the first season of this anime. It was a very simple 'let's start of light hearted andgo psychotic every few episodes' format. The newer seasons focused on a structured storyline. Let down. :/

5. Sanya Orussia’s 586th Fighter Regiment

That's kinda the point. The first season is the question arc where nothing makes sense, the second season (Kai) is the answer arc.

Anyways I loved ni, kai and rei (the first two season and the first five ovas). Manga wise I own the demon exposing and time killing arcs. Video game wise I have Higurashi Daybreak which is pretty damn amusing.

But yeah, one of my favorite series of all time. Don't give up on the first season because it is confusing, you need to watch season one (ni) and two (kai) as a pair to get the most out of the series. Rei is optional but was pretty awesome too.

As for Kira... well don't expect anything from that, it's just studio DEEN having fun with the 10th anniversary of Higuarshi.