The Lounge: Official Spamzone Community Thread

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by DigitalAtlas, Jan 3, 2014.

1. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Sounds great minus the apartment. Not actually owning a place to live during your lifetime is a drag.

2. 61 No. B

but like that means i have to spend more money. of course ill want a house if i can afford it but i dont want one if im gonna be scraping by just to live in a nicer place.

3. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

I never said it had to be nicer. A condo/house/something you actually own to live in can be one of the better investments one makes in a lifetime.

4. 61 No. B

tru

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

My last activity of 1:46 AM today for the date of yesterday was not the intended last activity, but I may not count it against me this once. Here's the weird part: typically, the reason for my "bad nights" is due to me laying down in bed to watch something or me laying down just to rest my eyes because I'm feeling tired, but I am waiting for something to finish, so I don't want to go bed quite yet--doesn't always work, obviously--or something similar. I don't remember any of that happening this time. One minute it's around 2:00 AM; the next thing I know I'm waking up at 4:46 AM for a short time, noticing my computer is still on.

I must have laid down, but I always remember that happening. This time I didn't.

6. 61 No. B

i dont normally like the breakdowns as the kids say but theres beauty in the simplicity here

7. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

8. burnitup Still the Best 1973

[​IMG]

9. Hayabusa Venomous

[​IMG]

10. 61 No. B

its like these people freaking out about the cap thing have never picked up a gd comic book before
    this type of **** happens every other week. like. welcome to the wonderful world of comics.

btw, this is your fault internet. the same people who churn out these mcu memes and tag hail hydra whenever possible are almost certainly the same people complaining about this. so dont be gettin all pissy now. in a couple months we're gonna get some big reactionary shock value anti hydra cap reveal (that is if its not next week, thanks for freaking out) and ill be surprised if theres no hashtag right in the dialogue balloon. poor nick spencer

also its important to remember that this isnt chris evans saying that. i know thats an obvious thing to say and that people are much more continuity savvy these days and i doubt anyone is actively thinking that, but i think a lot of people have the idea of movie captain america in their head when they think of all things captain america. comicbook captain america is not movie captain america. while i have not once read a single captain america comic in my life and care nothing at all about the character and therefore have no stake at all in what they do with the character, of the books that ive read where he appears and just peripheral things i know about the character through osmosis alone based on where im active on the internet, i can tell you with all certainty that there are differences in characterization and tone surrounding the character which make this far less blasphemous than it may seem. same thing can be said for iron man. im3 is the only thing resembling cb iron man we've got out of these movies and i love it. these movies are not perfect adaptations so dont go judgin the comics based on the movie sensibilities.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  11. Hayabusa Venomous

This article explains why I think this twist is worse than you're making it sound. It doesn't matter that they're going to just undo this twist. This is worse than Superman "dying" or Doc Ock taking over Spider-Man's body or whatever. But this is just one perspective.

(and yes I've read comics before if it ain't obvious)

12. Hiro ✩ Guardian

Honestly the Cap thing is insulting to those who lost family in the holocaust. Forget the fact he's an American icon, he's the escape from the awful reality we had in the 1940's. I think downplaying all the awful stuff that happened back then just for the sake of a comic is pretty bad. It'll be undone, we all know it, but the article that @Hayabusa linked explains why it's so bad really well. How many people grew up as Holocaust survivors in the 1940's? How many of those people that have grandkids said "oh, they're picking on your for being Jewish at school? Let me show you someone who helped me in my time of need."? It's a huge middle finger to them. I'm not upset because it affects me personally. I'm upset because they're downplaying something so serious.

13. 61 No. B

citing the holocaust as why this is insulting is the stupidest thing ive ever heard and if anyone is actually insulted by that they would be better off not reading comics at all because there are so many more immediate topics to be outraged about that your enjoyment cant possibly outweigh your grievances with the medium or current industry at large. also, has the next issue been published yet? do we know how this plays out? i dont follow current comics so i honestly dont know, but based on the fact that the only image ive seen is that one above im gonna assume we havent. which means that people are judging this reveal which is for all intents and purposes given the recent reboot and lack of follow-up, contextless. now ask yourself for a second if you think marvel comics would genuinely turn their a-list all-american hero into a nazi on his 75th birthday. first of all, no. and if they did its probably because theyre going somewhere with it that we havent seen yet. and if you are so short-sighted as to start screaming all kinds of -isms at this before allowing the writer to make his point, like i said before, youre better off not reading comics at all because these stories are serielized. and is anyone actually judging this story for the story? ive heard nothing except reactions and criticisms of the shock value ending. well looks like it shocked you pretty dang well. pls shut up internet. atp im done with this topic bc i can feel myself starting to get worked up over a comic i didnt read of a character i dont care about from a publisher i dont like that much. but holy **** could you imagine if dark knight came out in this age. frank miller may have literally been crucified rather than retroactively denied his legacy. like when that one guy says "i hope he goes after the homos next" the inernet would light the heck on fire and nobody would realize what the intent behind that line is. ****.

14. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

If anything this Captain America thing is just another example of people SELECTIVELY getting mad about something. The amount of thrills people get over war, death, tragedies, etc through various types of media (comics, books, movies, tv, etc) is overwhelming. Saying that this is appalling or insulting to those with family who were in the holocaust holds no water when you turn around and go enjoy other types of media that glorify killing, violence, death, etc.

Either you actually give a **** about this, and back it up with your actions. Or you are just another person standing on their ivory tower.

15. Stardust Chaser

i know you wanna let this go so no pressure to respond to me. but i don't get the impression this is what everyone takes issue with necessarily, e.g. from the article Haya linked earlier. the author doesn't believe it's permanent either. she's not mad because she thinks this twist will have any staying power, she's mad because she feels it trivializes the holocaust for shock value.

anyway i didn't even know this was a thing that happened until a minute ago so i don't really have an opinion on this rn. just felt like the article did address this.

16. burnitup Still the Best 1973

Guys, the holocaust angle is a stretch, let's be real here. What the actual problem is that the twist Marvel gave was horrible in what it represents: a character who was created by two Jews to criticize Hitler and the Nazis in a time in America where that got them met with outcry and death threats was revealed that he was a HYDRA sleeper agent: i.e. A NAZI SPLINTER GROUP. And not just a Nazi splinter group, but a Nazi spliter group with such evil, diabolical members that even most of the major villains of the Marvel Universe are too disgusted by them to willingly work with them. Hell, even The Joker doesn't want to work with the Red Skull. Whether intentionally or not (most likely not), Marvel is outright spitting on both the legacy of the character and his creators. It isn't even mind control or an impostor either, the writer has outright stated that isn't the case. This is Steve Rogers of his own free will being a member of HYDRA. Of course I know it won't last, it'll be revealed he has implanted fake memories or something but it doesn't change the fact of what this represents.

17. Hayabusa Venomous

Feel free to keep telling people what to do or that they're being high and mighty, I'll still think this twist is a fucking stupid decision Marvel let happen when it could have easily just worked as an else-world thing like Superman's Red Son series.

18. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Judge the story for it being bad in your opinion? That's fine.

Make posts saying this is wrong because of "X, y, z" tragedy, and I think you are full of it (not you specifically). How many movies, books, comics, tv shows, etc, have come out and in some way shape or form the death/killing is what makes people like it? A lot. If that is the case, then why aren't we up in arms about the death in all forms of media? Just because it has some form of historical reference, doesn't make it any better or worse. Don't get me wrong the holocaust was terrible, fcking terrible. But news flash, so is ordinary death that nobody seems to give a fuck about anymore.

All I am saying is you can't say "this is wrong" but only say it to a selective group of things, only to exclude others because you either like it or don't care enough. If we wanna talk about why the holocaust was bad, and how perhaps this particular comic isn't respecting that, then let's do it. I'd love to talk about how not many people actually give a damn about these tragedies, and only seem to care when it lines up with their agenda/benefits them. Oh wait did I say that out loud?

This happens all the time. It used to happen back when I was on youtube. If I can recall correctly there was this big fiasco with this girl who (unfortunately) ended her life due to bullying (now this was years ago). Everyone was up in arms talking about how bullying is bad and we need to stop it. They made great videos with commentary about how it is wrong, how they feel about it, and how we can potentially change it for the better, but in due time nobody said a word about it afterwards. Almost like they don't actually care. I'm not saying that nobody actually cares about these important subjects, its just hard to believe that the majority does when they only talk about it when it is trendy. Look at Donald Trump for example. It becomes trendy to make fun of the guy (not saying its right or wrong, he does say some outlandish things), but when it became popular to do so, all of a sudden everyone in my age group wants to talk about the health of this country and how Trump is going to ruin it....Like what the actual phuck? Where the heck were those people BEFORE.

Cold as it may sound, but if you give it time, a large majority of these people will go back to not caring about the holocaust.

19. 61 No. B

this was very polite so i will reply tyvm
    what about when they made superman a communist in 2003? this entire situation with cap only exists because of the attention the movies bring. both in it existing in the first place and how people reacted to it. to my original point, you shouldnt judge one thing from sensibilities based on another. and turning this into a question of victimhood trivializes storytelling. essentially to say the story doesnt matter, its how we think people will react to the story that matters. dont tell any story that might make someone feel like a victim. has anyone said "im a jewish person and this offends me because of x y and z." and if they have what are x y and z? not to say that if they have come forward that this story would be invalidated, but that it seems like people are more concerned with the possibility that someone could be insulted rather than defending someone who already has been. just on principle stories cant be too concerned with who thinks theyre being victimized otherwise they limit themselves. also like i said before, the article is also judging this story before its even happened. "disguising clickbait as storyteling" how do you know? cliffhangers are basically mandatory practice for serielalized stories and the rest of the story isnt even out yet. if its not clear yet i vehemently disagree with this whole putting feelings first thing so i suspect this argument has simply nowhere to go but down bc no one will budge but whatever its fine

ps this is from my phone and im at work so im sure typos are all over the place[DOUBLEPOST=1464716480][/DOUBLEPOST]
    whoa we both used xzy weird lol

20. Hayabusa Venomous

I understand where you're coming from: the hypocrisy of people can really be infuriating.

But much as we try to as people, almost everyone of us has been hypocritical at some point about stuff that's important not to be. Actually caring about the Holocaust being one of them. That bullying thing you brought up being another.

It's also incredibly tough to say who's being "genuine" when stuff does become trendy. Which is why I don't even bother bringing it up. Who can say who cared about something before it became popular?

Death isn't something I'm constantly up in arms over because violence and death are seemingly permanent parts of humanity, and so is storytelling. And if we did get up in arms over all forms of death, I'm not sure how we as social and empathetic organisms would be able to handle daily life. We probably wouldn't be able to continue operating when something like the Holocaust did happen, but that doesn't mean something that is integrally influenced by the war that saw that happen (this thing being Captain America) should be written as if that event didn't hold the weight it did on that thing's creators. They were Jewish writers. Their friends and family were inhumanly killed off. Captain America was a strong symbol for them to create because even if someone wasn't actually fighting the Nazis at the time, these guys' character was. And that means something, at least to me and the character's fans. If it doesn't mean much to you, that's fine. You don't get the same response from it.

Someone else's death sucks to experience, this is obvious. but how it affects you as a person will always depend on a variety of things: proximity, time, relationships, how the death occurred, how many people died at a time, etc.

You kind of have to say "this is wrong" to a selective group of things because we can't know everything, and we don't get the same reaction out of everything. I'm not saying this is right or wrong: it's how people just seem to operate, from what I've seen.

I did bring that up though...it was an elseworlds thing so it didn't feel like a betrayal, but Marvel's thing is apparently that all the currently running comics are the canon now, which is where I think part of the issue comes from.