Community The KH-Vids Musical

Discussion in 'Community News & Projects' started by Jayn, Sep 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayn

Hey guys! A lot has been going on recently with all of the KH Anniversary events, along the one year anniversary of KHV Chorus. To add to the excitement, we've got a brand new KHV project to bring to the table!

If you have any questions after you read the thread, PLEASE ASK HERE! That way anyone with the same question will be able to see. If you're confused about something, please ask.

What Is This? ⬊

The KHV Musical is a site-wide collaboration that will be worked on over the course of the next year. The project will bring together various creative sections of KH-Vids and will ultimately result in an actual musical that will be released to the public September 2013. The musical will feature original artwork, original music and lyrics and an original screenplay. It will be showcasing the various voice talents of our very own KH-Vids members, and there will be auditions held for parts starting in May!

The musical will be compiled in the Visual Novel software Ren'Py, and there will also be a watchable Youtube version, and perhaps a Livestream of the play-through at some point. The estimated run time is 45 minutes to an hour, or so, but there is no fixed time.

Timeline ⬊

Late September - October: Characters, Setting, Story/Plot
    November - December: Screenplay, Logo
    January - February: Concept and Character Art.
    March - April: Music & Lyrics
    May: Casting
    June: Audio Production //Singing
    July - August: Production

(Phase 1)

Characters
    Who are the characters that will be in the musical? Are they original characters? KHV members? What are their stories? Basically, all of this needs to be figured out.

Setting
    Where is the story taking place? Post-Apocalyptic Japan? ...Maybe just a high school?

Story/Plot
    What IS the story? What's going on? What's the plot? Beginning to end.

(Phase 2)

Screenplay
    This is an entire two months dedicated to actually writing the script. A how to write a script tutorial will be included. By this time, the plot and characters should be developed, all that should be left is dialogue. We'll have proof readers, etc. It should still be a collaboration, so I'm thinking that who's writing what will be split, maybe beginning middle, end, scenes.

Logo
    Sometime like the banners used for KHVC. Simple, lol.

(Phase 3)

Concept Art
    Rough sketches of the characters appearances and general attire. Any weapons and fixed settings should be sketched here too, if they exist. Depending on the plot.

Character Art/Settings
    Actual art, lol. The finished, colored artwork. We need the characters in different positions/basic facial expressions. Sprites, almost except not really. LOL. All of the characters should be drawn as such, including the minor ones. By now the script is written, so we know who we need to draw and how they need to be drawn. We want the artwork to be relatively the same style so that's something to keep in mind. Should be high quality. Meaning if it's scanned or something, it should be HQ and not fuzzy or awkward lighting.

(Phase 4)

Music & Lyrics
    Music composition and lyrics written. Lyrics should be written after the music is composed. In terms of the background music, we can use existing royalty-free music and those will need to be compiled and gathered.

(Phase 5)

Casting
    Casting = the voice actors/singers of KHV pop in for this one and audition. At this point, everything should be done, meaning that we have a clear idea off who is actively involved in the project. Those most consistent and involved in terms of production and behind the scenes will be the ones to judge auditions. Ultimately, it's okay to voice act and not be able to sing. It's possible to duel cast. Ex. Someone can't sing, but someone is cast for their singing part and sing for them. Of course, the voices should be similar/realistic, YADDA.

(Phase 6)

Audio Production//Singing
    This part is easy. The singers just sing. It's mixed and mastered, etc. Actors do their lines, too. Sound effects should be gathered.

(Phase 7)

Production
    This is where it all comes together. Plums and I and whoever else who ends up with enough time and dedication at this point compile it all and bam. Released in September 2013.

Involved Sections ⬊

Seems like a lot to do, huh? Well, don't worry, we'll hopefully have a lot of helping hands, and we have a year! Different sections are responsible for different things. Currently, these are the sections the threads will be posted in.

The Nook/RP Arena: Characters, Setting, Story/Plot , Screenplay
    Audio Projects: Music and Acting/Casting
    Poetry: Lyrics
    KHV Chorus: Audio Production (Singing)
    Traditional Art: Concept and Character Art, Backgrounds/Scenery.
    Graphic Art: Logo
    Off-Site: Production

How to Help? ⬊

Following the timeline, the first thread that will be posted is the brainstorming thread for the actual story, characters, settings and plot. This will be the only thread posted until November. When the thread is up, I will link to it here and you can jump in, if you'd like. This holds true for whatever month it is. Just keep your eye on the timeline and myself and Plums will keep you all updated with our progress and what's going on.

Thanks and good luck! I hope to see you guys involved in this!

Questions? ⬊

What if we don't all agree on what the plot should be? Or what the logo should be?

For those kinds of decisions, we'll have a poll to decide (the case that there are multiple options).

If I help with one thing do I have to help with the rest?

Nope! For instance, if you help with writing the Screenplay, you don't have to be involved in anything else but writing. Everyone who helps will be credited.

Do I have to download Ren'Py?

Not at all. You don't even have to use Ren'Py. Towards the end, Plums, What? and myself will be finishing most of the production stuff. You don't have to worry about this at all.

Will I have to have a good microphone to act/sing?

You don't have to have an $1000 microphone, but as of now you have about a year to work on getting a better microphone than, for instance, a bad laptop one. I have lots of microphone recommendations, message me if you want one.

This sounds really intense, will it really get done?

We are prepared for the inevitable drop outs and inconsistencies. In the event that things get disorganized or some members disappear, Plums and myself are %100 ready and willing to jump in and save the day. It will get done, even if we end up doing it all ourselves. That being said... You guys should try not to drop out and disappear and such.

How will _____ work?

Each phase will have it's own thread with extra specifics and details. Please wait until we're actually there. For example, please don't ask about how something in June will work, if it's September.

What staff members are helping/apart of this?

Plums, What?, Peace-and-War, Sabby, Stardust, Krowley and myself are likely to pop in to post the individual threads and help with other behind-the-scenes and production things.

A year sounds so long! How can we speed this up?

Help! The more help and activity, the faster we'll go. For instance, if we finish planning before the end of October, we'll move onto the next phase. If we finish the Screenplay before January, we'll move and all dates will be pushed up.

Threads! ⬊

Characters, Setting, Story/Plot Development
    Screenplay Writing
    Main Character Nominations

2. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

Big undertakings have big results, no?

Should be fun doing it! : D

3. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

I am so definitely onboard with this.

4. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

I'm hopping on this bandwagon. Sounds like a load of fun.

5. Midnight Star Master of Physics

Wow, this sounds amazing, I hope to help out anywhere I can~

6. Heart ❤ Enjoy every moment with all ya got

Omg This sounds so awesomely amazing! I for sure is going to help with this idea if I can ^^

7. Iskandar King of Conquerors

I am so joining this thing. It'd be fun to do for sure

8. Korosu Kingdom Keeper

Sounds amazing! Looking forward to it! I may partake. Good luck with it all.

9. Llave Superless Moderator

Marvelous of an Idea. I can do almost everything with the concepts and actual art. Tis right up my alley you see, and it would be tremendous practice for the real deal. Hook me up sistah.

10. Saxima [screams geometrically]

Hi. I'm Saxima. I'm here to help with the following things: everything except drawing.

Excited to work on the project!

11. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Basically this.

I love musicals, so I'm excited about this. I may become obsessive with the story telling and scripting of it all, because I'm really into that stuff, so if I act like a jerk, feel free to hit me.

12. Chie Satonaka Twilight Town Denizen

I'll help with concept art!!!!!!

13. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

OH, I should probably mention what I can help with. *headdesk* xD

I can definitely help with writing—that is, helping develop the story with all included areas, and helping to write the actual script—maybe some art as well, and I'd love to audition for singing/voice acting, too, once we get around to that.

14. flowergothic Twilight Town Denizen

As long as nothing related to my life comes up, two words: I'M IN. =)
    I would like to help with the lyrics or plot.... if you indeed do need one of those. =D

15. Dinny I am Anime ( ⚈้̤͡ ◡ ⚈้̤͡ )

Oh my, this is such a splendid idea! I would love to help in any way I can,

even if I might be busy ; ;

BUT DINNY WILL HELP !

16. Anixe Hollow Bastion Committee

I'll help out. c:

I'll probably see into script writing and definitely auditioning for parts. I'm no singer, but just an acting part would be awesome, hehe.

(I was also gonna say I wanna help out with choreography, but herp-derp >.>; )

17. Beau Hollow Bastion Committee

I would love to participate!

I'm not very talented, but I'd be willing to help in developing the script/characters/plot, the logo, and perhaps some voice acting or singing.

I've been in a few musicals in my time as well. :'D

18. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

This goes twice for me.

You know how to get in touch with me Jayneycakes.

19. Neku_Sakuraba Gummi Ship Junkie

I can pretty much do everything except drawing, although I don't think my type of voice would be suited for this, unless I'm young Sora, LOL.

20. Hiro ✩ Guardian

I can help with any voice acting and stuff. I'll definetly be trying out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.