PC Steam Controller Revealed

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by libregkd, Sep 27, 2013.

1. libregkd -

2. Janime6 the truest queen of them all

That thing looks pretty hideous, in my opinion. I'll have to give it a shot before I judge whether it is actually worthwhile or not, because it seems interesting.​

3. Hayabusa Venomous

I have absolutely no clue what to think about this thing. I was looking at the Portal 2 scheme, and I couldn't find the button for jumping. I'd need to try it to make a real opinion, but right now, it seems like it needs more buttons?

4. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

I get what it's trying to do but.... no. You'll never fully emulate mouse movements, there's no reason for the left pad to not BE A PAD, and that button placement... OW OW MY THUMBS ALREADY.

5. jafar custom title

well, i'm actually excited for this. should be interesting, even if it may flop, it's just interesting to see what valve is trying to develop here.

6. C This silence is mine

Is Valve trying to make the boombox popular again?

7. jackdaniel0 Twilight Town Denizen

I honestly wonder how the hell they managed to make that, but with today's technology something like that is probably "Lol w/e make shuttles huehue"

Seriously though, I can already think of a few problems, then again they might have all, if not most been answered because I barely read any of the article. Like what if you accidentally press a button as you move the touchpads? Or what if your fingers/hands aren't big enough?

Hopefully, I'm just being stupid, because the concept is pretty nice.

8. Menos Grande Kingdom Keeper

I loved the "Dual trackpad" idea, this is genious! The problem is that while X Y B A are all in diferent places it becomes impossible to "dedicate a hand for the action buttons, and ocasional camera shiffiting , and the other to movement"..

That doesn't sound so good.. just imagine that you are walking and has to press "Y+A" at the same time!

I think they may have foccused too much in the FPS players and have forgotten about other titles like adventure(games with mutiple combinations of buttons like INfamous or prototype), fighting games (imagine playing SF or MK ), etc..

9. Sara Tea Drinker

My initial knee-jerk reaction: "Oh my God..." *laughter in voice*

It does seem like the original Xbox controllers. Anyone who owned an original first market Xbox in the U.S. probably know what I'm talking about, it was f'ing huge and couldn't fit people's hands well. They even have it in articles as one of the worst mistakes in gaming history. Along with top five worst controllers ever made... Just size wise, I don't see myself, someone with small hands, being able to hold this comfortably.

The controls, eh... I don't see myself using it. I like something other than touch screen to use. It's just me, I like joysticks and D-pads, call me old fashioned, but I'm comfortable and used to it. The buttons I see as another problem on the way that they're spread out. The PS3 and Xbox, hell, the Genesis, SNES, NES, N64... All had easily accessible buttons that you could just move your thumb a little bit and use it. Which is fantastic when you're doing a combo and/or going through an event where you have to remember the buttons quickly and press them fast which is NOT just QTE, there are games that also use this. I don't see this as being as easy.

I don't know, if you play Halo and need to constantly switch weapons and other strategies or a game like that, it's going to be a ***** also because with quick switching and other types of strategy will be hard. Though maybe I'm wrong. I am not trying to be totally negative, but something about this controller rubs me the wrong way every single way possible.

10. jafar custom title

11. cstar stay away from my waifu

Oh man, the way the buttons work... I know this controlling would make me rage quit so fast because I just naturally have issues with controllers anyhow... but from how this review sounds I would at least try to give it a chance.

12. Fellangel Bichael May

It looks...interesting at glance. My biggest knock in the head moment is how the hell would these things function...Comfortably.

It looks so bizarre and odd. If I were to make a controller, it would look NOTHING like this. This looks like a hassle to use. My opinion can be very shallow and unappreciative since I have never had a hands-on use of this controller, but it does not look very easy and/or comfortable to use at first glance

13. A Zebra Chaser

I think this looks great. The fact that it has advanced haptics alone has me excited

14. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

It sounds incredibly customisable, which is a great thing, and it sounds like you could basically use it in whatever method you want to, whether it's touch based or more traditionally button based. I'm not too bothered about it but I like its innovations to say the least when it comes to touch controllers, an almost non existent concept.

And the complaint of it being bulky... i'm not bothered at all. I've got big hands, and wrapping them around tiny controllers is an annoyance more often then not, so to have something that fits more comfortably is a nice thing. The original Xbox controllers were just a bit too big for me, slightly, for what I wanted, this seems to be a good medium at least.

15. libregkd -

16. Yozora Archer

It's hard for me to believe that people are actually disliking the controller. Every time there's something new that is also drasticilly different, people turn the cold shoulder. I guess I was the only person in this forum that was immediately hooked on the controller's look when they revealed it? Im also curious as to how those other buttons will work.

Im really digging that touch pad sequence on the controller. I just want to get my hands on this thing. A new experience is always fun.

And honestly, if there are problems you guys can think of, then they will obviously fix it. Im sure they are recording the number of times testers' heads explode from the controller's unnatural look and overcomplicated button layout.

17. Menos Grande Kingdom Keeper

I like the pads, what I dislike is how the buttons are spread there is no hand dedicated to press the action buttons as they are all over the control.

18. jafar custom title

triggers are more of the main action buttons, abxy buttons are to be used sparingly. it's rather simple. it's just the focus is placed on different buttons. trackpads can also be clicked down on.

19. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Y'know what, not gonna knock it until (if) I try it. The only things that worry me from the demo are the constant pressure on your thumbs, and the movement range of the right trackpad. I'm sure you can adjust the sensitivity, but that's not exactly ideal for emulating a mouse. Aesthetically it looks fine to me, least it's not lopsided or anything.