''Sora, dinner's ready, come on down.'' ....

Discussion in 'General & Upcoming Kingdom Hearts' started by Afro-Lion, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Afro-Lion Moogle Assistant

''Sora...?'' (Poor Sora's mom)...

''We may never see our parents again'' (Riku)

OK, am I the only one here who actually bothers about their parents?
    I read once in a forum that in the KH world, the parents weren't part of the important values of the series.

I understand that allright, however, if this was the case, I would've prefered the 3 characters to be orphans at least...

I mean, if parents were not that important in Sora's heart, why would they have bothered putting a dialogue from Sora's mom? She must be deadly worried about her son disapearing for about two years...

I wish Nomura would've presented more the life of sora, riku and kairi when they were living on the islands and their town, don't you?

2. Sennitz Destiny Islands Resident

Haha well, you've a point there :p It's true that Sora never mind about his family, but there's one thing you're missing:
    In KH I, the Destiny Islands are destroyed, so we can assume that everyone who has survived that (and ended in another worlds) was worried about everyone. I mean, it wasn't only Sora, but the sons and daughters of every father in the islands.
    At the end of the first game, when all the worlds are safe and complete again, no one on the islands remembers Sora or Riku (this is explained in KH II) even their parents.
    And when Sora and Riku finally returns, well, we suppose that their family remember them again (Do they remember not seeing his son for like two years? That's a good question...).
    So the only "problem" here is why Sora doesn't care about his family.
    And about the orphan thing... that's something that has been seen in lot of movies or stories, so maybe the parent's idea is something new... but that's just my opinion
    Finally, seeing them living on the islands, that would be something pretty interesting... But not knowing too much, opens the door to imagination.
    I've tried to picture a lot how his life was on the Islands after playing the first game, and the more we discover on the upcoming games, it becomes a more "normal" village (maybe contrary to my expectations of a place with a different culture, but I've never been dissapointed)
    Sorry if my english it's a little bit messy, it's not my first language

3. Explode Who?!

I think it's fine how they handle the parents. It's not that they don't care about their parents: it's just the parents aren't really important to the story. We only see parts of three days (only a few hours), on the island where they go to hang out. Part of the "Disney magic" is about making it just about the three of them going on an adventure and nothing else. Having too much emphasis on the parents and their ordinary life would take away from that. I agree that it's a little weird, but for good effect. Making them orphans creates unnecessary drama, and makes it harder to relate to for an average child. Even if they're orphans, that raises even more questions. What happened to their parents? Do they live in an orphanage? Are there any adults, or is it just an island of children?

Riku does say "We may never see our parents again", but that was because their world was being destroyed. Their initial plan wasn't to never return, but things changed and Riku didn't know if they could return home after. And at that moment Riku was acting strange, presumably already having met Ansem. Riku being so casual about leaving everything behind makes that scene more surreal and dreamlike. Clearly Sora thinks it's weird because of how reluctant and quiet he is during that scene.

And to correct what Sennitz said, everyone forgot about Sora (because of what Namine did in Castle Oblivion), but not Riku. Both Kairi and Selphie remembered him, but Selphie didn't remember Sora at all, while Kairi could only remember this boy that she used to be friends with.

4. Labrys King's Apprentice

Well the way I see it, Sora left abruptly, and didn't even stop for a sec to consider whether he should say goodbye to his family or not. So I can't blame anyone if they assume that Sora doesn't really care for his family. Also, I could tell that he put his friends as his top priority, which isn't bad, but not good if it's a priority over family and other important issues. Which makes you think, what if both sides are in endanger, who would Sora try to save first?
    Riku obviously.
    It's a little bit if you ask me, even Sora isn't perfect.

Oh and The Destiny Islands is just one small world. There wasn't any living inhabitants, so when the world was consumed to darkness, only Sora, Riku, and Kairi went along with it. Most likely what everyone saw in khII was a small urban city, but because it's enclosed away from the Islands, it was it's own world. So the disappearance of Destiny Islands didn't really affect anyone.

5. Sennitz Destiny Islands Resident

I agree with everything except that the island where Sora and friends play, and the island with the village, it's the same world. All those are the Destiny Islands, not different worlds :P

6. Explode Who?!

He just thought it was a typical storm at first. No reason to say goodbye. He just panicked and ran out because he was worried the raft would drift away, or get destroyed.

And yeah, the world is called Destiny Islands (plural). Meaning there's at least two in that world. In KHII, we saw the starting island in KHI was off in the distance from where Kairi and Selphie were. And in BBS, Riku mentioned that there was a "main island" where people lived. And that Sora's dad took them on the boat to play on that island.