So apparently stopping sexual assault is bad?

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by Te Deum, Sep 20, 2014.

1. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

2. burnitup Still the Best 1973

What is the logic behind that?

3. Trigger hewwo uwu

THE QUESTION IS WHICH SIG IMAGE

We talked about them literally last night LOL

4. KeybladeSpirit [ENvTuber] [pngTuber]

Problem 3: Teddy's strawman argument. He's taking the quite reasonable, "I shouldn't have to hear about serious issues like sexual assault from the source that I go to for news on my favorite video game," and equating it to the quite idiotic, "Stopping sexual assault is bad."

5. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

MAYBE I SHOULD GET SOME CHICKEN FRIES BEFORE DECIDING

Maybe if we talk about raining money on Skype, then it will come[DOUBLEPOST=1411245575][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Let's not be aggressive here. Let's keep it about the images posted and be rational.

6. Laurence_Fox Chaser

I've never seen that hashtag before. Can't really remember something I haven't seen. And in this case, I was not referring to gender but legal sex.

And overall, I was more disgusted with the flagrant and misuse of rape in the comments provided than the gender of any of said commenters. And what's worse, trying to be funny with it.

Also, there wasn't any trigger warning for it. Was slightly panicked at the time I made that original comment.

7. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

In these situations it's usually used as a qualifier. Women are raised to be afraid of sexual assault. Men are not. Negative reactions are bound to be more common among males than females while positive reactions are bound to be more common among females than males.

Recognizing that they are all dudes is kind of like excusing them. As in, "It doesn't bother me as much because they are acting out of involuntary ignorance/lack of interest." Contrast with, "They understand our concerns first hand and still want us to stay silent about it." A woman who shares their ideas, however, cannot be excused for ignorance. Their view most likely exists alongside personal experience of fear of sexual assault. It's harder to forgive someone for being on the wrong side of the fence when they have every reason to be on the right side of it.

8. 61 No. B

okay i'll be "that guy" and say that i dont see much wrong with their comments. i think it's reasonable wanting to keep social issues and your hobby separate. i dont think anyone thinks stopping sexual assault is bad, but why should that be brought in a place for video games, especially when that post is calling for action?

i mean if the place i go for comic news suddenly started talking about stopping sexual assault and telling me what i can do to prevent it, id leave a comment and go somewhere else because i go there for comics and not to be preached at.

9. KeybladeSpirit [ENvTuber] [pngTuber]

They say it's victim blaming. I won't go into the whole of the article here, but the gist of it is that inventing this very useful product is making it the woman's responsibility to prevent rape rather than the man's responsibility to not rape her. The people saying this seem to forget that rape is considered to be among the worst things that a person can do. Here are a couple of quotes to help you remember this faulty logic.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish, you make it his fault when he goes hungry."
    "Don't teach the kid not to run next to the pool, teach the concrete not to be hard and slippery."

10. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Read the comments again. There's a constant trend of "I don't like feminism" "feminism is bad" "this page must be full of sjw, which are bad".

All of these stem from a comment about stopping sexual assault. Not a comment about feminism or social justice.

These people are obviously anti-feminists who associate anti-rape with feminism and social justice. They see it as a package deal. And they believe that the whole package is bad.

It's not an argument. They're not inviting discussion or entering a debate. They're defaming the page with their own straw men (being against sexual assault makes you a feminist and/or sjw) and threatening to unlike the page if it doesn't stop. In other words they are threatening to not take part in any discussions at all.[DOUBLEPOST=1411246320][/DOUBLEPOST]
    If no one thinks it is bad, why do they associate it with feminism and SJW in a tone that implies those things are bad?

11. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

Not your shield is a hashtag on twitter showing awareness of people who're not cisgendered white males fighting for "GamerGate". The point I was making is that you can't write something off because "legal sex". Telling someone they can't talk because they're a certain way (any way at all) is wrong, ya know? Limits thinkers and people who could be helpful. So to me, saying "Oh boy ,they're all male.. but then I saw that female and it shook up my opinion a bit" is wrong to me. Who cares if they're male? They're being extreme, and wrong. Gender has nothing to do with idiocy.

12. libregkd -

13. burnitup Still the Best 1973

So let me get this straight, someone made a thing for women to protect themselves from rape and people are saying it is victim blaming because only men have the power to make the choice not to rape a woman, therefore such a device is unneeded. Is that about right?

14. 61 No. B

Because those are the people who bombard them with it in their place dedicated to something entirely different? Wanting someone to shut the **** up and leave you alone does not necessarily mean that you disagree with what theyre saying, maybe you're just tired of them talking. I hope you're not implying that these people who just want to enjoy their hobby without being preached at support sexual assault, because that's insanity.

15. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Great. I told you to stop this.

Rape is considered one of the worst things to do on paper, but if you bring up a particular instance of rape people become far more divisive. They can't agree that it was rape. Many say that the victim invited it because they could have prevented it.

If I say, 'If someone was raped, how would you feel about it?' you would say, 'I would feel horrible.' That's a hypothetical. Easy to take in and make a judgment on. What if I bring up a specific case with real people? My guess is you would be skeptical and want to hear both sides. You might have trouble accepting that it was a rape or might want to see it as a double fault.

Similarly, everyone believes that police brutality is bad in theory. But bring up an actual accusation and most people will see it as justified, even with video footage.

The best argument against products like that is that they entrench acceptance of rape rates into the culture. It's a fact that they put the burden on the victim to protect themselves.

Unfortunately, there is no way around that. Rape is the hardest crime to prove in a court of law that I know of. The argument against them is based in righteous outrage that the rape victim is at a disadvantage both socially and legally. Rape forces all of the responsibility onto the victim by necessity.

The purpose of these arguments is to increase that outrage in the hopes that it might effect some kind of change. Socially, if not legally.[DOUBLEPOST=1411247307][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I'm implying that these people wouldn't have complained aloud if the page started posting unrelated comic strips. Those who didn't like it would just leave.

They have a problem with the subject matter in particular. They dislike this particular type of post. Not all unrelated content.

16. libregkd -

17. Laurence_Fox Chaser

18. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Thanks, Laurence. May I quote that later if I need to explain male privilege to someone?

On that note, the post was not talking about the subject. It was not inviting a discussion on the page about the subject. It was, as far as I can tell, a one-time call for people on the page to voluntarily click a link and take part in preventing sexual assault.

The people who complained are tired of people wanting to put an end to sexual assault? Are tired of being reminded that feminism exists? What is it? Because it's definitely not people talking about it.

19. Te Deum Hollow Bastion Committee

20. burnitup Still the Best 1973

So was the original thing that sparked all this purely about sexual assault on women or did it refer to both male and female sexual assault?