Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan)

Discussion in 'Anime and Manga' started by Splodge, May 11, 2013.

1. Splodge Twilight Town Denizen

I am really enjoying this anime, and I think the way that these people slay the titans, using hooked wires, using a machine at the waist,to latch onto the titan, and use special blades to destroy the back of the neck. The art direction id different from other anime, but fits the show well, and one gets used to it after the first episode.
    Being in the horror genre the amount of blood in scenes is a little crazy for example,
    When their mother gets devoured by the titan, her body explodes in a shower of blood, seriously, that's a bit much.
    It is based of a manga, and I hope to see how it is resolved.

2. Gamefreak103 A Freak of Games

I heard this series was good, but I think I'll wait until the anime has ended before I watch it.
    Then again I did the same thing with sword art online and that show ended up being rather bland.
    Hope this show doesn't disappoint when I finally do get to it.

3. Fellangel Bichael May

I've watched the first episode and it's very intriguing so far. The art style is interesting, but blends well with the anime.

I do have a few gripes with this so far. One, I dislike the main character. Just his whole attitude and being annoys me. Second, his plotline is kinda cliche.
    Mother dies, sister is a badass and is more mature than him, and he wants revenge on his mother's death
    I dunno. I wish they could make him more interesting rather than having a similar story to like 40+ other animes out there.

Overall, it's an intriguing anime that could use some work. I'll keep an eye on this anime as of now.

4. Jayn

I can see where you're coming from, sort of. I mean, I guess maybe at first glance he seems like the cliche fired-up protagonist, but maybe this is more evident from the manga, but Eren is kind of crazy and he's meant to be. He has issues. He's not just hot-blooded and fueled because shounen character angst. He's kind of psychotic?

Anyway. I'm enjoying Shingeki a lot. I started it on a whim and now I can't stop and I picked up the manga [ VERY RARE FOR ME ] and I just can't stand waiting for new episodes, oh my god. The art, the music, THE INSERT SONGS ARE GREAT, the story.

But I don't know, I'm generally into dramatic survival anime anyway.

I'm interested in seeing how it all unfolds and I'm just really interested in the story and what's up with them Titans. And it's a 25 episode anime? So much to come. I'm doing it kind of weird. Watching the episode, then reading the corresponding manga chapter after because I see a lot of those who read the manga being really particular / harsh with the anime. High expectations and whatnot.

I don't really have a close connection with any of the characters individually, as much as I'm just interested in Mankind's struggle as a whole. Eren is interesting and angry but that's it, Mikasa ... I don't really like her? I mean, she's badass, but comes across a bit too apathetic / monotone, unless it has something to do with Eren. I guess you could consider her a strong female character because she can fight or whatever, but based on what we've seen in the anime thus far I do wish she came across less one-dimensional / cliche at times. 'Badass, monotone girl with dark past can fight and is mildly yandere for this guy because of things'. Armin is ... I can see what they're trying to do with him, but he's just Armin to me. The smart one who had cowardly tendencies and insert character development here, whatever.

Everyone is like ... in love with Sasha but I'm not feelin' her. It isn't her fault, though. So far in Shingeki, some of the comedic moments have been lost on me because everything is just so grim. Sometimes it's difficult for me to tell when they're making a joke / being silly and when they aren't so the humor is kind of lost on me, at times. So Shingeki's comedic relief is just kind of awkward to me, though appreciated.

I guess that's all I have to say until later lol. There's still so much to come that it's unfair to judge / review the characters / events as if it's over. Opinions subject to change.

5. Menos Grande Kingdom Keeper

I really like these series even when it were just the manga! But the anime is being so well made that is even better than the manga (something rare) , there is only one scene that I didn't like that might cause some timeline problems in the future, that was presented at the beginning of the manga (Eren's father experiment) and after the attack on the anime (leaving him with one night to do the experiments, pick his son from Mikasa without being noticed and return him to her without being noticed as well).

That being said! There are a good amount of good points of the anime! First! At the manga a lot of characters look alike and as they end up dieing so often is difficult to care about anyone that isn't from the main trio... the anime made a bit of character development before send people to be killed by titans what made some random characters like Thomas seemed like a real character that died!

Armin is a GREAT character, even though the series right now is a bit Eren-centric Armin started to bright with his quick decisions and good plans ! He end ups saving a lot of people in the process! The anime already showed that, but we will be even more important when they venture outside the walls!

Even though the character seems cliche at first they are not at all!
    You see your common male protagonist is often that optimistic guy that never gives up at adversity and stuff like that.
    Even though Eren share the trait of "never give up at adversity" from most characters he has also a very nihilist view of the world SINCE HE WAS A KID, that is something not often common! We can see that well at the episode that he saves Mikasa (when she was a kid), he kills the guys who capture her without a flinch! He is hardend by life since he was a Kid!

Mikasa as well seems cliche.. but her episode as a kid shows her motivations, she is led by Eren to see this world true color: Carnage! We see it everywhere but we don't notice it as we are "anesthetized" by the recurrence of that... and because of our egocentric view that we are different than animals, the struggle to survive was always there is only that being at the "top" for so long made us human soft.

This is the real theme of the series really, the willinness to fight in front of adversity is what make us intitled to survive, but we've denied it.

If you look all the series, even though the Titans sure are stronger than humans 95% of human's casuality is often due given up and stop fighting, we will see a little number of people that acutally kept fighting until the end and died.. we've became sorrounded by walls for one hundred years , and thus became soft cattle ready to the slaughter.

6. PirateNinjaHanyou Traverse Town Homebody

I'm not particularly fond of any of the characters, but it's still a fantastic series so far. What it lacks in characters, it makes up for in pretty much every other department (EX: Storytelling, plot, atmosphere, art, soundtrack, etc.) Although, I suppose that though I'm not particularly fond of any of them, they still help make the story the way it is, so it's hard to complain about them.

7. Nowaki Destiny Islands Resident

I started watching shingeki no kyojin about a month ago. The first episode was kinda... irritating for me. I didn't know what to think about the anime because it is very different than any other anime I've watched before (and I've watched many). But after 'accepting' how different and unique the idea behind SNK was, I started loving it! I'm totaly addicted and I can't wait for saturday/sunday every week to watch the latest episode!

8. Mysty Unknown

Anime is about the human race being driven to extinction by large human-like creatures named Titans. The last hope was that of a city built to protect the remaining humans. It is divided into 3 walls. Each being strong and higher than the last. The anime follows a boy named Eren and his sister Misaka as they try to defeat the Titans and give humans a fighting chance once more.

Its a good anime. Fairly new at that as well. The manga is said to be recent and done very well. Do note the anime is very gory so it may not be for the light of heart. Lots of action, creative concept.

This is one of those anime's I just love. It has all that I ask for: Conflict, likable characters, plot twists, action, and the capturing of real human emotion through animation. I suggest everyone watch the first 4 episodes before letting it down. The first 3 are a tad slow being that it is more about the main characters getting to where they spend most of the anime. Plenty of action in the beginning to, so it may not bore you.

9. parabola Destiny Islands Resident

Thought of this series when considering my top 5 animes. Obviously it's too early to say given that it's only entering its second season, but from what I can tell it's as universally beloved as any highbrow TV series like Game of Thrones or Mad Men. Seems like it's classic-worthy from its first season, but a lot depends on what they do from here. It could fairly easily become formulaic and melodramatic. Considering that last frame, though, it seems like there will be no shortage of surprises and interesting developments. What do you guys think?

10. CaptainMIG Gummi Ship Junkie

attack on titan is scary the design of them just creeps me and the story is mess up. I also read the manga and it's weird that...
    people hated the titans but the titans actually gave the people protection and not to mention that people will turn into them sooner or later.
    but yea I like the anime it's pretty cool my favorite character is mikasa the badass.

11. Glen Returned from the dead

Haven't seen this myself, but I have heard many, many good things about it and honestly the next time I find myself without an anime to watch, I am diving straight into this one. It looks great visually, sounds like it has a great OST, voice acting seems top notch, yeah it looks to have a lot of pretty awesome things in my mind.