serious question time

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by 61, Dec 19, 2014.

1. 61 No. B

for those with parental aspirations, how will you raise said offspring or adoptee regarding technology?
    I was getting a haircut today and some lady was talking to her kid about using her phone to do something.
    I was like what the heck you're talking about her still not being able to sleep in her own bed yet she has a cell phone? why
    I know this is like a thing where younger kids are getting more technology now but it's still shocking to me.

if i ever had a kid they would be raised on the same tech i was. none of that fancy **** until they're older.

2. KeybladeSpirit [ENvTuber] [pngTuber]

Phones, smart or not, will be out of the question until the age of five. At that point I will instruct my children on how to dial 911, home, and my cell via (a) the landline at home, (b) my and my wife's cell phones, and (c) the cell phone belonging to the regular babysitter. From there I'll decide when they can get their own phones depending on necessity and maturity level. Ten years old will probably be when they get their phones with who they're allowed to call being limited strictly to 911, home, myself, and their mother. Depending on where that goes, they will be allowed to add friends and such to the list of people they're allowed to call later on, probably at age 13 or 14. "Apps" will be restricted to games whose content I can verify as appropriate for them and all "in-app-purchases" will have to be approved by me. Maybe I'll give my kids $50 each per year on a gift card to spend on microtransactions.

I will make sure that my children are in some way exposed to computers and computer games for as long as they're alive. We will have family game night at least once a month and it will consist primarily of casual video games that can be played with four or more players, Scrabble, and a stack of pizza pancakes, which my kids usually only get to eat when it's my turn to cook on nights when mom isn't home because you know she wouldn't approve of feeding them that sort of thing every other day. Mario, Smash Bros, and the like will hopefully be the most popular. By the time Stuart is ten I'll have tracked down two original 3DSes and copies of whatever the last Pokemon game on it is so that he and Idaia, his older sister by no more than two years, can have something they'll be able to play together without us grown-ups having to ruin their fun. If they don't like video games then they'll have entertain themselves by playing outside like real kids.

I do not know about tablets yet.

3. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Same. I want my kids to learn technology in steps like I did, so they appreciate how great it really is.

4. Antidote Façade

No tablets, mobiles or games consoles until I feel they're at the right age. I'll introduce gaming first in small steps. I will encourage them to be active.

My nephew is 8 years old and has like every games console and never steps outside. It literally disgusts me.

5. Karuta Reborn

None of their own tech until I feel they are at an age where it will be beneficial.

I will probably let them use some of my tech at an earlier age, like for example, I might buy whatever new Nintendo console is at the time and let them play some child friendly games from time to time, probably some puzzle games or games where they have to use their heads.

They will definitely have their own computers before their own games consoles. I'll probably buy them a computer at the same age that I got one, which was 10.

When they start using the internet, which is inevitable, I will do my best to make sure they are productive with it, and use it for learning as well as for fun.

At the age of 12, they can have their own games consoles, but with no access to multiplayer, and the games they play will be approved by me.

At 13 or 14, I'll probably relax a bit and let them play multiplayer and stuff, and at 15 they can have full access to whatever.

They can have smart phones when they're 15.

6. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

I am considering a scheme where I limit the network activity on their devices to dial-up levels and state that they can use the full internet when they figure out how to enable it.

Not sure how successful it would be.

7. Fearless A good and beautiful child

Ya'll are talking about limiting your kids stuff untill they're 15 or whatever, but you do realize that the majority of users on this site (especially the oldies like me) found this site circa age 12, right?

Personally, I'd probably go for a mix of how I grew up and my own thinking for what is best. I literally cannot remember a time when we didn't have a computer in my house, which I used, on my own, from the age of about 2 or 3. One of my earliest memories is playing the original Mario on a NES with my cousins.

Phones, yes, definitely limited. Kids don't need their own cell until they're AT LEAST 10, imo, but that might change when I actually do have kids. I might have a kid who's really mature at 8 or something. Either way, all they're getting until jr high is a crappy prepaid phone, at which point I will reevaluate the situation, talk it over with my spouse and the kid, and go from there.

Tablets... we'll see. Both of my nieces got tablets for christmas when they were 4 and 6, and that is waaay too young for expensive tech. Those tablets that are made exclusively for kids don't seem worth it to me, as they'll be useless once they hit like 5th grade, but no way in hell would I give a young kid their own IPad. (I might be persuaded to let them play a bit on mine, though).

I imagine I'll have some sort of 'family computer' or something when I get to that point, so they're free to use that. I don't see the point of limiting the internet with parental blocks, really, except that tab in the chrome settings that changes how NSFW your search results get. And when a kid reaches the point where they know how to turn that off, well, I guess they don't need it any more anyway. Like how when a kid figures out how to get out of their crib, they're ready for a real bed.

Finally, consoles. Dunno about my future spouse, but I don't really own many games that would be considered 'not cool for children'. Just the horror games, which are easily hidden. Stuff like the N64 and SNES will be free to use, stuff that's a bit more expensive will be a bit more regulated, but I probably wouldn't buy them handhelds until grade school, at the very least. And it'd be like. A 2DS or something.

I sound like I'd be way too chill as a parent, and I probably will be, but there's a gigantic difference between talking about how to raise your child, and actually doing it. You have to be extremely flexible, especially about stuff like this, because being too stubborn just causes more problems.

8. Fork These violent delights have violent ends

As if you guys aren't going to instantly introduce them to KHV when they hit double digits.
    All our children, and their children, will continue to run this site forever.

9. 61 No. B

on my parents computer with limited time and access.
    i wouldnt limit them too crazy much, but i would introduce them to things at stages so they appreciate the value and take care of what they have.
    real talk tho ill prob never have kids so it doesnt matter

10. Doukuro Chaser

I never want to have kids but I have a nephew who's addicted to tv and games. He's four, five next month. Feels like it's way too soon, especially when first thing he does upon waking is watch tv. And throws a fit when he can't. Hoping it'll change but yeah. Agreeing with the argument kids shouldn't have too much tech. However phones to be able to call parents and/or 911 is important, once they're able to use a phone and all.

Though it seems very hard to be control everything. Me and both of my siblings found ways around the rules as did many of our friends. So balancing tech and activities outside is a good thing to teach. My mom did that when we got our first computer.

11. Hyuge ✧ [[ Fairy Queen ]]

^ This.

I feel like a lot of children are too spoiled these days with technology. The only gaming system we had in my house for the first half of my life was the classic NES and half the time we weren't allowed to touch it because my dad was afraid we would wreck it. I grew up with a tv in my bedroom, but I didn't have my first cellphone until I was 13 and I only got it because I used my own Christmas money to buy a prepaid phone. My children will be allowed to have nice things, but not until they reach an age that seems appropriate. I get seriously ticked when I see 9-yr-olds with iPhones. They don't need them.