Sony: Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by libregkd, May 18, 2012.

1. Sforzato† Banned

Local Time:
    10:12 PM
    >No knocking people out to kill them
    >Super moves are the only way to kill

What the FFFF. This coming from my latest GameInformer, so not sure if true. Sounds kinda funky though. I dunno.

Ok, but. All cards on the table? The only thing I'm thinking about right now is WHERE THE #@$& IS CRASH BANDICOOT.

You know what just keep the FF characters

I want my bandicoot
  2. libregkd misty's slave

Local Time:
    7:12 PM
    Okay so there are two interviews that include quite a bit of gameplay footage as well as some cool new info regarding g the game

[video=youtube;IT-2X8APAdo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT-2X8APAdo[/video]
    [video=youtube;rWFLhQACK3I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWFLhQACK3I[/video]

To sum it up:
    - Original VAs re-recording their characters. No reused lines from their games.
    - Ken Levine wrote the story for Big Daddy in this game
    - you can use a dodge roll to evade a super
    - you can use a super to counter another super
    - There are items that can protect you from supers
    - you can turn off environment hazard and items
  3. Jⱥy King's Apprentice

Local Time:
    3:12 AM
    Any word on any pre-order bonuses or special editions? It might be nice to be able to have a few downloadable extras also.
  4. Sforzato† Banned

Local Time:
    ...I just had a thought. What do you think are the chances of Sol Badguy getting in? Guilty Gear has always been a part of Sony history. A lot of those big crossover "group photo" drawings centering around the Playstation show some GG love. I don't believe any confirmed characters are from overseas, but do you think it'll happen? Have they mentioned it in any press releases or interviews?
  5. libregkd misty's slave

Local Time:
    Maj, who is working on the game, has revealed some rather specific gameplay details. To those who don't know who Maj is(sonichurricane), he is a big part of the fighting game community and is known for knowing the technical sides of fighting engines as well being apart of the competitive fighting scene.

As per usually I'll update the OP whenever I get something decent to type on ;-;

Also I'll leave with this video of Parappa's Level 3 Super
    [video=youtube;VZDY2rIPEc8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZDY2rIPEc8[/video]

Skip to the 2:15 mark for the awesomeness to begin.
  6. libregkd misty's slave

Local Time:
    Two new characters seem to be confirmed. Jak from the Jak & Daxter series and Toro, Sony's mascot in Japan.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. Ami Mizuno Sailor Mercury
    Reporter

Local Time:
    Nice to see Jak there!
  8. Tyrant Valvatorez Gummi Ship Junkie

Local Time:
    RIP truthful tags
    [video=youtube;PsB8mX2RBRg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsB8mX2RBRg[/video]
  9. libregkd misty's slave

Local Time:
    Lpj
    You're a few months late to the party. Most sane people have moved on.
  10. Jⱥy King's Apprentice

Local Time:
    3:12 AM
    Hopefully they'll let you choose what Jak from the series to play as.

Maybe each Jak from the series is a different costume.
  11. libregkd misty's slave

Local Time:
    Well it looks like we'll be getting some character and stage reveals at EVO this weekend.

via PS Blog
  12. Ami Mizuno Sailor Mercury
    Reporter

Local Time:
  13. libregkd misty's slave

Local Time:
    Might want to include a pic of the pre-order costumes:

[​IMG]

Sweet Tooth and Big Daddy are fantastic. The blog comments also lets in some light on the game

Roster Number:
    About Ezio being in the game
    About costumes
    About Crash being in the game
    About Snake being in the game
    About Jumping Flash
    Some additional info from Amazon:
  14. Ami Mizuno Sailor Mercury
    Reporter

Local Time:
    Ezio AND Crash in the game as well?

Please be true, please be true, please be true!
  15. libregkd misty's slave

Local Time:
    The two new characters revealed today were Toro and Heihaci(Tekken)

[video=youtube;j14U-BwHxsk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j14U-BwHxsk[/video]
    [video=youtube;v77RwbxaLog]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v77RwbxaLog[/video]

Also to note, there was a Parappa the Rapper level in teh background for both reveal videos.
  16. DigitalAtlas Hollow Bastion Committee

Local Time:
    Correct. It actually looks like the battles are a bit more action focused rather than strategy focused. Also, there have been other mascot fighters. One with Naruto, DBZ and One-Piece characters, and another I know starred Bomberman and, get this wandering readers, Optimus Prime

Personally though, I'm not excited. I don't think this will work due to lack of character blending. This is a prime case of Dreamworks vs. Pixar. Dreamworks, or Sony in this case, fills the ranks with as many celebrities as it absolutely can and as fast as it can while Pixar, or Nintendo here (Sakurai, more like), take the time to blend the characters into one setting well. I don't think I can ever picture Big Daddy and Parappa working in the same game, but I can easily see Link and Mario though that's possibly because it's already been done.
  17. libregkd misty's slave

Local Time:
    I can see this as a valid complaint. I think one of the big grips I have right now has nothing to do with how it plays or the content within it. The style just looks...off. Nintendo characters do have that feeling of all belonging to a "big family" Which probably has to do with the fact that most of the games in Brawl come from series created by Miyamoto. There were some exceptions to that though, Snake and Sonic both felt like out of place, but welcomed additions. Battle Royale right now, outside of the generic looking UI, seem to be having trouble mashing together such a diverse cast of characters in a way where each character retains their uniqueness while at the same time is able to compliment the rest of the roster. Some characters, like Drake and Kratos, just look really odd due to the lower ploygon character models. Like its just really weird seeing as they come from graphic intensive games. The absurdity of having Parappa the Rapper face off against BIg Daddy is certainly something that draws me in, but its also something may turn others off. I've seen people get incredibly turned off by the stage mass-ups(Such as God of War x Patapon) but I personally think its a fantasically brilliant idea.

I really have no doubt that the game won't be fun, I just hope it does well enough to warrant a sequel because I get the feeling they spent alot of time figuring out how the game was going to play and perfecting that, not so much on a completely polished and well "blended" presentation. I feel a sequel has a really good chance of improving that aspect.
  18. DigitalAtlas Hollow Bastion Committee

Local Time:
    I agree with pretty much all of the above. Nintendo characters have been grouped together for so long that it just worked when they were in the same game. This... not so much, and I'm a guy who appreciates absurdities (God Hand is my fav game bro, c'mon). It's exactly things like what you said with Kratos and Drake though. And personally, even with as odd as they look, they just don't look like they belong in the same game.

I think I'm going to skip the game honestly. It will probably be fun in a "pickup and play" kind of way, but that's just not how I game. This feels rushed and while I feel like you're right in that a sequel would massively improve this, but I dislike that way of thinking. I prefer the hopes that they wise up and take time to delay the game till the next console and take the time to work on the character blending and the stage blending idea (which is brilliant, if they can blend the styles) as well as the roster and maybe even the depth. With as out of nowhere as this game came, it seems a tad rushed for players even if it's been in development for years.

Also, this game would've been SOOOO MUCH COOLER if it were released at the end of the PS1's life cycle.
  19. libregkd misty's slave

Local Time:
    Fair enough. Though to be honest, as awesome and fun Big Daddy looks, I'm sorta iffy on his inclusion. When I think Playstation, a Big Daddy is probably one of the last things that come to mind. I mean yeah its on the PS3, but the game started off as a 360 exclusive. I'm not sold on his inclusion to be "celebrating PS History" but I am sold on him for a gameplay perspective, so I guess it evens him out. Heihachi on the other hand is golden and is exactly the type of 3rd party character I think about resprenting Playstation. The one good thing that does come out of Sony's diverse line up is that there are probably going to be literally zero clone characters in the game, something which Smash is guilty of to varying degrees. Though on the subject of fitting in, it seems half the roster can fit in together. Like Toro/Sly/Parappa/Fat Princess really work well together while Drake/Big Daddy/Kratos/SweetTooth work well together. I can see the final roster panning out in a similar way.

I generally agree with avoiding that train of thought, but atleast the crew making this game have their priorities right in making sure that the game is first and for most FUN to play. The game is at EVO right now and most people who've played it enjoyed it, so from a fighting game persepctive it seems the game is turning out to be great and has alot more depth than what Smash has. Which I suppose is to be expected given the team working on the game is comprised of Fighting game developers and some prominate members of the FGC. I really doubt it'll be delayed now., next year is going to busy with GoW Acension, The Last of Us, and a possible PS4 launch. And if the PS4 is launching next year, I don't think a switch in platform at this point would do much good. It'd likely be a somewhat more polished, but still identical game on a platformer with a ridiculously smaller userbase. Besides, Sony has literally nothing for the holiday outside a rumored PS3 remodel. They have this, Sly 4, and LBP Karting competing against MS with Halo 4 and Nintendo with the Wii U.

People are complaining right now that this game doesn't has IP brand power that Nintendo characters do. A PS1 era release would be alot worse I would think giving the small amount of series Sony would have to work with. I mean even Nintendo waited until their 3rd console to produce Smash. Doesn't mean I don't want some PS1 characters though. Really hope Robbit, Crash, Tomba, and Sir Dan make it into the game.
  20. libregkd misty's slave

Local Time:
    So here is some footage from the games panel at EVO this year. The team behind the game goes into more specifics of the gameplay, balancing, combos, dodging, goes more in depth on the KO system in place in their game, as well as some other little suprises through the panel.

[video=youtube;U3W09WTIorU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3W09WTIorU&list=UU7cV13rvCfoh5U-btGZzVBQ&index=4&feature=plpp_video[/video]
    [video=youtube;mvP7FTJ8rlc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvP7FTJ8rlc&list=UU7cV13rvCfoh5U-btGZzVBQ&index=3&feature=plpp_video[/video]
    [video=youtube;UNV0JvmmYgM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNV0JvmmYgM&list=UU7cV13rvCfoh5U-btGZzVBQ&index=2&feature=plpp_video[/video]
    [video=youtube;d6qT_E4ukKY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6qT_E4ukKY&list=UU7cV13rvCfoh5U-btGZzVBQ&index=1&feature=plpp_video[/video]

On an unrelated note, it seems that another stage was leaked. The general consensus is that its an Ape Escape level.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)