Of Monsters and Men

Discussion in 'Retirement Home' started by Magick, Sep 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladek515 Hollow Bastion Committee

[​IMG]
    Alastar had made the long treck to White Orchard as the cold snow fell from the skies. Nothing that he as a Skelliger couldn't handle as the bearschool armour was thickly padded to help protect him from the elements. Protection or not the Witcher was still glad to finally find some sort of decent shelter. He walked down the slippery snowy roads into the small village walking with an inborn ease through the snow. He went for the door on the largest building in town, the inn. He stepped inside brushed the worst of the mud off and sat himself down at one of the tables. He sat down as the Inn keeper came to him asking him what he wanted, first things first, he decided to stuck up on some supplies and a nice cold cup of Temerian Rye.

As the Witcher enjoyed his drink a balding fellow joined him at his table. "
    You're not from around here, what brings you here?" Alastar looked, not the usual treatment for Witchers, but he'd take it. "I'm looking for someone, girl, medium height, medium long brown hair, carries a long bow around, might be traveling alone or in the company of other witchers." Alastar said, the man shook his head. "Haven't seen any other Witchers around here in a long time, Master." Alastar nodded, figured as much it was only a small village after all even if it lay on the main road with roads to both Novigrad and Vizima, the man left him alone again and after Alastar had finished his drink he went about the other guests of the inn, most telling him to leave them alone as he was a freak. Some outright stood up and walked out. Though one man, a merchant from Maribor asked him if he had some time for a game of Gwent, saying that because of the weather he wouldn't travel on and it didn't appear to be changing any time soon. Alastar figured he could use the downtime to distract himself and agreed to the merchant's offer getting out his Northern Kingdoms deck as they started to lay down some cards.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  2. Relatively Sane Gummi Ship Junkie

[​IMG]
    "Am I getting into your head yet?" Solomon suddenly appeared at the bars of the cage. hands gripping the metal with ferocity, his face only inches from Veera's "Madness is a worm" he scowled "It crawls into your ear and burrows into your mind. It eats away at your sanity. It eats away at your life. Until nothing is left but an empty husk of what you once were. Your heart may beat. Blood may still pump through your veins, but you're not the same. You're not alive" Solomon grinned at her menacingly "You've got all that to look forward to"

Crouching low and silent in the bushes, Vyle was almost invisible to his own companions. He could have been mistaken for a statue in the dim light of the afternoon
    "He's baiting us. We can't get caught in his trap" Vyle said quietly "I think... we need to draw him out. If possible. We need our own bait..." he turned his gaze to Zephyr and Selene, their new witcher friend, and stared, cogs turning in his head for a moment.
    "You want me to be bait?" Willow whispered incredulously
    "That's not necessarily what I was implying..." Vyle winced and backtracked slightly "Perhaps bait is the wrong word. Perhaps one of you could go out there and challenge Solomon? Try to draw him out maybe?"

Evelynn was getting tired of teaching, and Annabelle wasn't learning very fast. She sighed as the girl was startled by the lightning and picked up the book she dropped. "Now we've lost what page we were on" Eve sighed melodramatically. "I love storms, it's exhilarating. As a child I used to run out into the rain when it was stormy. Mother would chide me so, she'd say it was not fit for a young woman to go gallivanting in the rain like some barbarian heathen. "Leave that to the savages on Skellige" she'd say. Oh I do miss her terribly though. After I'd been scolded for running out in the rain she'd get cook to make me up a lovely pie, warm and meaty, filling. Oh those were the days. But these are these days. Just be glad you're not still with Violet, I doubt she'd let you inside if you were in the middle of training" Evelynn rambled, before collecting up the books "Come along then. We'll go somewhere less noisy"

3. al215 Kingdom Keeper

[​IMG]

They parted ways after making the sale at the apothecary and he went out to sort a few things out. Notably, with the haul from the monster and the coin he had on his person he was able to purchase some new chest armour. It was a reasonably good set, and while he would miss his old cuirass that he ordered, specifically fitted for him, this didn't seem too bad and he could still reuse some of the armour. He managed to knock the price down a little further by adding in some of the arm plates that no longer really fitted with the new piece. Now, he wore a red leather jacket with his shoulder pauldrons over the top and beneath, a short mail shirt sewn into leather at the edges and striped with leather running down the shirt. Below that, he had his old gambeson. He had his old gauntlets on and he still wore the plated boots and knee guards from before. While it wasn't quite as protective as his previous chestplate, it'd do nicely and he was already thinking of ways to add to it whilst keeping the general aesthetic. Next time he brought something into town he'd put the money into getting some metal plates to tie across his chest to provide a little more protection. And to look cool. Part of being a Witcher was looking the part.

By the time he was done, the weather had turned and dark clouds hung over the sky. Claps of thunder boomed across the city as little white flakes of snow drifted down from the sky, each a precious little creation before falling on to a muddier, much less precious patch of ground in the not at all precious city of Novigrad. He walked the streets, enjoying the cool touch of the snow on his face and thought it a nice change from hot blood, whether it be his or someone (Or something) else's. He thought about their next move. Kaer Morhen was a distance away and it'd be a long journey. By the time they got there, he had no idea whether Veceslav, or Alastar or any of the others would actually be there. Vec usually stuck around, so maybe they'd find him but it was a long shot that they'd find Alastar. Knowing him, he might come looking for Treasa.

Thinking of the devil, he spotted her coming towards him as he made his way towards a nearby bridge. The sound of flowing water often helped him think, but it looked like that was off the table. He gave a little wave as they drew closer.

"Like the new look?" He asked with a smile. "You all done here Treasa? If so, I suppose we ought to think about our next move."

[​IMG]

Adolin considered the question and grimaced. No luck, and they were running out of time. They only had a couple of hours now before everything got started so they had to make a move on. They'd burned most of the afternoon. A storm had come, and snow was falling. Perhaps the sound would be a little distracting for the guards so they might not hear a crowd on the move coming if it came to that, but he'd rather get everything done subtly. He was despairing as to what to do, now that the only people who knew this city were gone. How were they to know who was a Doppler and not? He could shift into Carrak of Cintra and use the Medallion to find out, but beyond that he didn't see much else working.

"For now - Meet back up with Seth. Then, we'll just find who we can and leave this city before the killing starts. And if people are already leaving, then let's see whether we can gather any of them up into any sort of cohesive group." He replied, leading Tessa back to the inn where they had organised to meet up. When they arrived, a while later, they found Seth outside in an alleyway to the side. He ducked into a quickly.
    "No luck on your part either. Finding them is out of the question. Do you think this Sigmund you mentioned will help? If not, then it's up to us to do something." He posed the question to the pair.

[​IMG]

The general smiled at the Witcher.
    "Not only am I aware of the threat, but I am also moving into to deal with it promptly. If you look outside, you'll notice that I am leading a reasonably sized force to deal with this mage." He responded in a heavily accented voice and stood up. "Time is wasting and the men are ready to move out. Care to ride with us, Witcher?" In the meantime, as the thunder roared and snow gently fell, the Nilfgaardian army moved into position. It was a mighty procession of soldiers, all in ranks marching forth in uniform black. Banners depicting the Great Sun hung in the air like beacons of hope, heralding the salvation coming to the land at the hand of the Nilfgaardian Empire. He rode near the front of the column, but not at the very front. They had scouts riding around the area at all sides to keep an eye out. It paid to be careful.

Corporal Ardal aep Skellen rode further back in the line, a frown etched across his face. He was not happy, to say the very least. His parents in law had been killed before he had got the chance to even meet them, and the tragic part of it was that they were just about to try to make that connection. Now the girl he loved was in an even worse state than before. Her parents were dead, and she hadn't even been able to say goodbye. Her brother Gordon was barely a man, and he seemed just as distraught. But his attitude was different.

"Ardal, can I come with you?" The boy had asked quietly. He shook his head firmly, there would be no more dead Buttles while he could avoid it.
    "This is a military operation Gordon. I can't let you come with me." Ardal had told him, but he wouldn't listen to him.
    "I want to see the people that killed my parents, and my friends."
    "I want to avenge them."
    "I've got to do this, for both of us."
    There were a variety of justifications, but he wasn't having any of it. He knew that if Gordon actually got into a fight, then he would almost certainly die. But, Matilda got involved.
    "Come on Ardal, this is the only closure that we'll ever be able to get for this!" He understood what she meant. One of them had to see it with their own eyes, to know that whatever it was, was dead for good. But how could he condone something so dangerous? Eventually, they won out. He sighed and made a deal with them. Matilda, he left with some of his men back at the camp. Some soldiers were staying behind at the army's camp to hold the position down and he kept some of his most trusted people to take care of her. He knew that he could rely on them. Gordon, he reluctantly allowed to come with them. He was riding clumsily and the armour that he wore was ill fitting. He could see the expression of someone who didn't know what they were doing nor why on his face. He shook his head. The corporal had done his best to convince him otherwise, but there was no arguing with both of them. And now he was going to have to protect Gordon and make sure that he didn't get killed out there. He had to keep them both alive, for Matilda's sake. He didn't know what would happen to her if he or Gordon died out here.

4. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

[​IMG]
    Teliana glanced at Vyle, though he wasn't looking at her. Something twisted in her gut, and then she stood. "I'll do it. He might remember me. It's how you and I met, after all." Gods, but that seemed like forever ago. She looked back out at the castle. "I'm not letting Zephyr be put at risk," she smiled apologetically at him, " and you need to be the one to grab him, Vyle. You're stronger and faster then any of us here. He might not know Selene, so it has to be me." She felt the fire burning in her veins, itching to come out and form a shield. She wouldn't let it.

"I hope you're ready." Then she slipped away, before more could be said. Before she could be stopped. Because frankly, Teliana had something to prove to herself, besides the mission. She had to show her own mind that she wasn't fragile, or delicate. She wasn't spider webbing glass. She was still herself, strong, underneath those scars. Strolling up towards the castle, she paused before the gate. "Remember me?" She asked the stone quietly, her hands balling into fists at her sides.

[​IMG]
    Veera looked up when Solomon appeared, her eyes narrowing at his words. She leaned in close enough to kiss the bears, her face emotionless. "No, I don't. Want to know why, Solomon? Because I'm not weak." She leaned back, her face still blank, her eyes glowing in the dim light. "I'll never be driven to the same depths as you. I'll come out stronger. You'll be worm food, and I'll be a legend."
    [​IMG]
    Treasa turned to see Derrick, her lips twitching into a smile in spite of herself. "I don't know how we're going to get anywhere, the women will be all over you." She teased, giving the river one last glance before facing him fully. "I've been waiting on you, actually. Turns out women don't take up as much time as men do, shopping for the latest fashions." She paused, her eyes sparking before she tucked hair back behind her ear before the wind could blow the strands in front of her face. "And for our next move...I know you wanted a job here, but I think we should leave. There's been....some bad things, reaching my ears." She glanced around, noticing a few guards not too far away.

"Lots of...unrest, in various manners." She hadn't seen any hard proof, but the city didn't feel peaceful. The view might be misleading, but the tone was not. Something wasn't right."But I'll follow your lead. I'm a stranger here." She folded her arms across her chest, gazing out at the sea of people, hardly any of whom were dressed practically. Novigrad must not get many pirate attacks, or all these people would be clothed for attack, not as if they were going to a party. She shook her head before turning her gaze back to
    Derrick with a raised eyebrow.

[​IMG]
    He was in a carriage, now. He didn't have windows, or any doors from what he could see in the black space, but he could tell by the swaying motion that he was moving, and by the sounds that it had wheels, and an animal of some sort pulling it. Where he was going, he wasn't sure. All he could do was put his head in between his knees and hope he didn't vomit.

[​IMG]
    Tessa sighed, before following Adolin back through the streets. With no luck, she wasn't sure what their next move was. She was beginning to tire, perhaps more easily so because of her still healing injury, her anxiety, and the general emotional roller coaster. But she refused to be the first to submit to her exhaustion. No, she would wait for sanctuary, for them to find a place to sleep, and then she would rest her head. Adolin managed to find Seth again, much to her relief, and she went to the other doppler's side, gently squeezing his hand with a small smile.

She had cooled down from earlier, but that didn't mean she wanted to see
    Matilda again any time soon. The only person who had ever been allowed to tell her what to do had been her parents, and then Bryce. Both were dead, and she wasn't looking for another replacement. No, her heart had been broken enough. "I think Sigmund is our only hope if we don't want to sleep outside." she whispered, looking back to Adolin.

[​IMG]
    Alyse glanced at Terra. "Damn right you will. Second drawer, right side. Water has to be drawn from the well, obviously. And you're lying, but that's fine. I'm Alyse, and you're Terra. Keeps it simpler. I don't care who you are, as long as you clean up your mess, and you do it right the first time." She turned away from what she was doing, noticing Sweallow was awake. "Oh goody." Walking to his side, she pulled over a chair, letting it scrape across the floor before pulling on his arm. "Does that hurt? Make a fist. Wiggle your fingers." She held out her hand. "Squeeze, as hard as you can." After he completed the tests, she sat back, frowning as she folded her arms, twiddling her fingers. "There's some muscle damage that I couldn't heal, but it'll get better over time. Don't use the arm for the next two days, and we'll see where we're at."

Twirling a strand of blonde hair around her finger, she kept her green eyes on
    Sweallow. "So what do you do the next time you come across a rather large bear?"

5. Aelin Best Waifu

[​IMG]
    Terra went to the drawer to grab a cloth first while mentally preparing herself to face the storm outside. She wanted to just part the clouds as she walked, clear a path for her to the well. However given everything that had happened, and the fact that she just woke up after passing out due to magic overuse, it was not realistic to do so. Terra wasn't particularly dressed for the cold, but she had a feeling that Alyse wouldn't give a crap about that. After all she had to carry Sweallow back here when she could barely walk or stay awake, why would she care if Terra was cold. Though she supposed she should just be thankful that when she got back from fetching the water, there was someplace dry and warm to go back to.

The entire walk to fetch the water, two words kept echoing in Terra's mind. "You're lying..."
    Alyse didn't believe who she claimed to be? It shouldn't have been that much of a surprise since many assumed her dead after not being seen or heard from in twenty years. Plus she outright stated that she didn't care who Terra was. However it still seemed odd to be so sure of that fact. So sure that she was lying about who she was. Why would anyone lie, claiming to be her... to be the her from 30 years ago who destroyed families and fueled wars on command of others? She supposed that if someone wanted to be feared they could try faking being her, but this situation, there was no use in drawing people to fear her. The only reason she used the name she did was because she had failed Eric. She did not deserve to use his last name, only leaving her with her own.

Entering back into the cottage, Terra barely paid attention to
    Alyse as she dealt with Swellow. Instead she simply set to work dunking the rag into the bucket of water that she had just drawn and scrubbing the floor. She grimaced at the strain it put on her still wounded back from scrubbing, wondering how much it would take to reopen the wounds once more. Terra honest to goodness felt pathetic. She had been wounded trying to protect her kids and now she couldn't even get the damn wounds to heal before being thrown into another situation that she wasn't prepared for, all the while thinking about what happened to the kids. How did she go from a much feared mage to this mess? It was embarrassing really. This only through Terra into her cleaning more, scrubbing harder and putting more force into wringing out the bloody water. She didn't want to think of any of that right now. She didn't want to face the reality of her situation. So she lost herself in cleaning, not having any other way of distracting herself.
    [​IMG]
    "It would be my honour to ride with your party Commander. You may call me Keenan." Keenan introduced himself. He was grateful that the Nilfgaardians seemed willing to help, even if it was more for their own gain. If he could get Veera and her mage friend free, then he would be truly grateful. That being said, Keenan couldn't help but wonder how many of these men outside would fall in this battle. They weren't fighting for his sake, but he still felt slightly responsible for these mens lives given he had requested this help. It was always hard to watch people fall in battle, that was something Keenan thought he would never get used to. That being said he had learned to live with it over the years of being a witcher. There was no escaping such things.

With a whistle Keenan called his horse to him, joining the soldiers ready to march out of on the castle. His two swords peaked over his shoulders as he sat tall and road along. It was all that was needed to set him apart from the rest. Not to mention he was not wearing any sort of Nilfgaardian armour, instead armour crafted specifically for witchers. Taking one last check of his supplies, Keenan set off with the rest of the army, marching right back to the place he had left earlier that day.

[​IMG]
    A wave of relief washed over as he spotted Tessa and Adoline. They were both safe, thank goodness. Tessa found her way to his side, giving his hand a light squeeze while Adoline spoke. They were running out of options here, he knew that. There was only so much one could do to find a person in a city as big as this, and they needed all the help that they could get. And as Tessa mentioned, Sigmund might be their best chance at a warm bed. "As much as Sigmund doesn't seem to like me. He didn't seem to mind what we are and offered us shelter. He may be of help or at least a warm place to stay for the night. Given this storm we want to get there sooner rather then later. He was also the one who sent for Matilda in the first place. He might know how to contact her again. As much as I don't care to go back there, it seems like our best option." Seth admitted. He couldn't help but wonder if Sigmund would be pissed at him for not doing as instructed, or let it slide due to the event earlier today. He hoped it was the second, then things would be a whole lot easier.
    [​IMG]
    Annabelle could barely bring herself to pay attention to Evelynns ranting, nor did she care that much for it. The library that had amazed her when she first walked in felt suddenly dark and creepy as the natural light had all faded only to be replaced with flashes of light the would illuminate the room, casting shadows that to her looked light monsters, before fading back into the dim light of the candles. Annabelle was however thankful that she was in here out of the storm instead of training, and she was more thankful when Evelynn had at last finished her ranting and offered to take her somewhere less noisy. Annabelle reached up and grabbed Evelynn's hand as the woman guided her to a quieter, less scary part of the castle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    "Are you sure you want to go child. I can find another way to get you the supplies." Uncle Benge continued to argue despite the fact that Matilda was already bundled and ready to go.
    "Yes I am sure. Listen this is the way it has to be. If the guards find us here, I might not be able to defend all three of us. Greg is too young to fight and Talon is in no shape to fight. I am trusting you to protect my family because I can't. I can protect myself. And if I can't... well I am a woman, I am not the heir to anything. These two boys are who will carry on our family name and legacy. Talon just needs to learn to not go and try to get himself killed, and then I believe he could be even better then father one day. So please, you can't stop me. I am going to get my supplies. Stay here and keep these two alive until I get back." Matilda approached the old man and kissed him on the cheek. She left before another word could be said. Her bow was slung over her shoulder, the hood of the dark cloak up, in order to hide her face and protect her from the blowing wind and snow. It was a miserable day, though that did make it a little easier to hide herself for any guards who might be watching for her. ​

6. CrownMoksha Decimo

[​IMG]

Zephyr couldn't help but to feel a chill when Vyle's gaze was directed towards him. Hearing him bring up the idea of being bait only further cemented the bad feeling that had arisen. He most certainly wasn't feeling up for being bait with the odds against them. There was always the witcher, Selene, who could do it instead. While Zephyr was silently thinking about this, Teliana had spoken up. She'd decided that she was going to be the one to try and lure Solomon out and left. This had left Zephyr with mixed emotions swirling about inside him.

The unfamiliar voice, Alyse, had walked closer to him and pulled on his arm. When she asked if it had hurt, Sweallow shook his head. Following that was a assortment of tests involvement simple movements of his fingers or hand. Upon each request, Sweallow did as he was instructed til said tests had come to an end. It was a bit ironic that he was/had been treated despite having medical training of his own but Alyse was likely the reason that he was even still alive so he simply went along with it. "Thank you." He said before muttering under his breath. "Curse the gods for the luck they had given me."

7. al215 Kingdom Keeper

[​IMG]

Derrick shrugged and grinned at the comment.
    "Nothing new there then. I just can't get away from them. And hey, I've got to make sure that my armour is good. So what if it's stylish too?" He had the good sense to actually start behaving seriously when she was discussing the next step with him. Looking around him, he could feel the tension in the air. It was like a drawn bow, string taut and ready to be loosed at any moment. Depending on who he looked at, it was different. Some kept their heads down and rushed through the roads, others strode purposefully around as if they were on the hunt. He frowned. It was a bad atmosphere.
    "You're right... I'm good for supplies. That was another part of my shopping trip. We can get going now if you want." He looked up at the grey skies with the gently falling snow. "Not that the weather is good for travel. If this snow holds it's going to be impossible to get to the Kaer, the pass might be blocked by the snow and we'll be stuck." If there were weather gods, he cursed them all.
    "But it is March. Maybe it won't stick." He sighed. "It's up to you. If we want to run the risk of weather then let's be off, because something doesn't feel right here."

[​IMG]

"Fine, this Sigmund sounds like our only real chance. Lead the way. Time is short." Adolin instructed both of them, as he didn't know which of them actually knew the way. He made sure to look at Seth more, because Tessa didn't seem overly knowledgeable about Novigrad so he presumed she didn't know. "On the way, tell me about him. I want to know what he's like and who he is before I meet him. No more surprises."

[​IMG]

The army was moving well, making good time towards the castle. General Godyvron was most satisfied. He turned to the Witcher who rode with him and the command staff.
    "So, tell me what you know of this... Mage. We'll need to be fully informed when we're taking the fight to him." He requested. Meanwhile further down the army, Ardal watched Gordron struggling to stay on the horse and sighed. If he actually got into battle then it was going to be a rough time for the boy. He doubted that he'd actually stay seated, let alone survive.

Further ahead, the first scouts arrived at the castle. It was a dilapidated stone structure, much what they knew to expect from a Northern castle. They could see signs of movement from inside - It was clearly occupied and they most curiously saw a lone woman at the gate. The two scouts frowned as they spotted this, but wheeled their horses around and rode at full speed for the rest of the force. They were close now and they just needed to complete their march and the siege could begin.

8. Relatively Sane Gummi Ship Junkie

[​IMG]
    "No wait!" Vyle exclaimed, shocked, as Ana volunteered, but it was too late. She had disappeared. Vyle bit his lip and cursed. This was exactly what he didn't want happening, he couldn't afford to lose Ana again. But then again, this was clearly a sign of her trying to be independent and take risks again... Vyle considered his options. On the one hand he could try to protect Ana, and she'd resent him for it forever. On the other, he could let her be, and face the risk of her being captured or killed or tortured and the longer he took making this twice-damned decision the more danger she was in and Vyle was really starting to panic now "Damn this" he uttered, before shadow enveloped him and he launched into the air. Black cloak flittering around his silhouette, red eyes glared through the night to where he could see Ana standing by the castle. The black shape swooped down towards her and landed next to her, becoming more Vyle-like as he arrived. He suddenly gripped her arm, paused, and let go again. "I can't let you do this... please understand"

"Here we are!" Evelynn trilled as they arrived in Evelynn's personal solar, a relatively large office with several bookshelves "I'm intrigued, Annabelle, why did Archon choose you to become his heir? It is an interesting conundrum isn't it? You certainly don't have a noble upbringing, and you don't seem particularly remarkable, oh no offense meant dear"

[​IMG]
    Solomon glared with interest for a moment, then a sadistic smile crept across his face as he narrowed his eyes. Stepping back slightly, Solomon continued to stare at her
    "...I like you. You're going to be a lot of fun" he waggled his finger at her "Very determined. Very dedicated. Fighting against the negative opinions that others thrust against you, right? If someone says you can't do something, you can't be something, you'd try as hard as you could to prove them wrong" he suddenly moved closer, challengingly "I know people like you. I was one" he paused for a moment, and looked her up and down with a sinister appraising gaze. "You may become a legend. When I die, and I'm sure it won't be much longer, I'll be a legend. The legend of Solomon. Raiser of dead. Destroyer of villages. They'll sing the tale of how my head was chopped off and paraded around the city. They'll talk about me for a long time. After all, legends never die"

Zavarius sat astride his horse just outside the city gates of Oxenfurt. behind him, set up on a nearby hill, the armies had gathered. But this mist was just ridiculous, there was no way they could fight an enemy within that supernatural fog. Nevertheless, it was likely this confrontation would turn to battle. "I am Zavarius Boldhorn, member of the Royal Council and representative of King Archon Dragoncrest, first of his name, Supreme Ruler of Redania" the mage yelled "I demand to speak to the leader of who, or what, currently holds Oxenfurt, so we can come to some arrangement"

"So. Have you discovered anything of use?" Archon asked levelly. The alchemist he was speaking to gulped and stuttered nervously. His gaze occasionally flickered to the object on the slab in the centre of the room.
    "Now that depends on-"
    "I asked a yes or no question" Archon interrupted, his voice not threatening, but reminding one that it could very quickly become threatening with ease "The only acceptable answers are 'yes' and 'no'. Which is it" the alchemist avoided the king's gaze, but eventually drew his eyes up to stare blankly at the king's face
    "...yes" the alchemist stated. A dangerous atmosphere that was barely noticeable dropped as the king became slightly less intimidating
    "Good. What?" Archon questioned emotionlessly
    "W-well the source appears to be magical and we've been able to replicate the process in small animals" the alchemist explained, pacing around the small dimly lit room, trying to avoid looking at the object on the slab.
    "Impressive. But?"
    "But... well... it's a very dangerous experiment. Most of the animals died in the process. And we believe the reaction would be very different in humans, and definitely in mages"
    "So... you need human test subjects. You need mage test subjects" Archon concluded. The alchemist merely nodded slowly. "I can give you humans. Mages would be more difficult. For the moment, carry on with your work. I am impressed with your progress" Archon left the room swiftly, purple cloak billowing behind him. The alchemist was alone now in that accursed room. Well, except for it. He turned, and stared with morbid fascination at it. It stared back. It tried to scream, but its mouth was gagged. It tried to struggle, but its arms were bound with silver chains. All the troll-like being could do was stare with those baleful eyes.

9. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

[​IMG]
    Teliana stared up at the imposing castle, shifting from one foot to the other. She wasn't sure what to do now, exactly. Part of her had thought that Solomon would be watching, waiting for someone to appear. She had wondered if he would recognize her; she was a very different person from the woman who had been pinned to the ground by living corpses. She felt a little colder, a little more uncertain. Tentative, even. But, she took a deep breath, and continued to look up at the stone, the empty windows, the half ruined corpse of a building that maybe once had a noble purpose, but had been long forgotten.

Her revere was not long lived, as a dark shadow landed beside her.
    Vyle. She pressed her lips together, going still as his hand touched her elbow, then receded. She turned her face only slightly, enough to see the barest part of his expression. "Good thing I didn't ask your permission." She replied quietly, shifting away a step before turning to look at him. "You could force me not to. You could knock me out. You could drag me away. Are you going to?" It was an honest question, demanding an honest answer. Vyle couldn't protect her from the horrors of the world, not forever.

[​IMG]
    Veera watched Solomon, her face expressionless, emotionless. Only at the end of Solomon's speech did her lips curve upwards slightly, though her eyes remained dead. "Even legends, die, Solomon. Faces fade, and names are forgotten. If you are remembered, it'll be as a monster. Something mothers use to frighten their children into behaving. A bedtime story." She shrugged, tilting her head back against the bars, her eyes half lidded as they stared at the mage. "But if that's what you want from life, then I won't stop you. In fact, I'll make sure to help tell it."

"Although...I can't promise your head will get to stare at a single other person after I'm done with you. Perhaps I'll let the drowners have it. Or a ghoul. They do so love the smell of the dead, I'm somewhat surprised they haven't completely cleaned through your forces." The smile disappeared. "May wonders never cease."

[​IMG]
    Treasa watched Derrick look up at the skies, letting her eyes run over the crowd. Her skin crawled, and it seemed the hardest thing in the world not to jump off the bridge and try to swim away. As he talked through the options, filling out what they could or couldn't do, she raised her eyes to the dark water, moving sluggishly along the banks. "You're letting me decide?" She asked, her tone only slightly disapproving as she turned back to Derrick, crossing her arms over her chest. It might have seemed a move borne out of attitude, but really she was just reaching for the knife she had stowed in her belt, just in case.

"Now that doesn't seem such a good thing. Letting the stranger to the land, the weather, deciding our fate." She looked up at the sky, biting her lip. "I would bet that what you consider impassible passes, are just knee deep snowdrifts too hard for a pretty boy like yourself to bother with. But me...that's me." She turned back to him, and raised an eyebrow. "Are you sure you want me to decide?"

[​IMG]
    "I'll talk to Sigmund. You just get us there." She told Seth with a gentle smile, brushing the snow off her hair. The fine colored flakes nearly blended in with her light hair, and she made a face as her fingers ran over damp strands, some of the frozen water already having melted. "He's a mage...I think. He's rich. He's a friend of a witcher." She looked from Adolin uncertainly to Seth, and then back again. Now that it came down to it, she really wasn't at all sure about anything she knew in context with Sigmund.

"Something's a little strange about him. The witcher sent us here to be safe, but he also wanted us...." She drifted off, brushing her fingers continually through her hair as she followed behind Seth and
    Adolin, her eyes on the ground, her mind wandering. What had been the connection between the two? Why had Veceslav decided to protect them? Why hadn't they all come with?

[​IMG]
    Alyse raised an eyebrow, then got to her feet. "The gods could have done you a lot worse. Believe me." Her face shuttered for a moment before she turned away, watching Terra come back in with the bucket. Alyse nodded to herself, pleased that the stupid woman had the sense to at least clean up her own mess. "Throwing rocks at a goddamn bear." She muttered, stalking over to the cabinet and pulling out three cups. She sighed, missing Teliana more then ever as she stared at the small fire in the stove, waiting for the water to bowl while she pulled out the tea leaves.

Pouring out the water into the cups, she balanced the three of them and set them on the table before sitting back down, raising an eyebrow at
    Sweallow, then Terra. "Well you both can come sit down. Don't feel pressured to talk, though. I don't like stupid questions and I hate small talk." She let her finger drift around the rim of her own cup, studying the two guests in her house.

10. Aelin Best Waifu

[​IMG]
    Her back was screaming in pain by the time she had finished cleaning, but from what Terra could tell, it had stopped bleeding. Now that she had rested up and they had started to heal a little bit, her magic had taken over and helped speed up the mending process. As soon as it finished healing, hopefully in the next day, Terra would be able to leave and not cause anyone else any more trouble. However she felt like Sweallow would throw a fit if she tried to leave before then given he had not allowed her to leave before. Then again he never really seemed to get that angry of forceful, so he probably wouldn't do too much to stop her if she did leave now.

When they were invited to sit, Terra picked up the bucket of filthy water and walked outside first to dispose of it. The floor was clean now and there was no use for water latent with blood and dirt. Terra quickly emptied the pale in a corner of the property away from any walking path, before coming back to the warmth of the house and the tea set out on the table for them now.

Taking a seat, Terra remained quiet and she sipped her tea and looked between
    Alyse and Sweallow. She didn't like small talk, and Terra had a feeling most questions would be considered dumb. The silence quickly made her uncomfortable however. "Thank you for your hospitality towards us, but I think it might be best if I leave before I manage to bring any more trouble your way. Sweallow, would you like me to teleport you home before I go?" Terra offered.

[​IMG]
    "To be honest sir, I don't know too much. I had met up with a fellow witcher on the road and had offered to help her with her mission." Keenan started to explain to the general as he looked on towards the direction of the castle. "What I do know is what I witnessed when we arrived. The mage can control the undead like you well know. You must be careful because these undead are found behind walls, beneath the ground, anywhere really. They will reach up from the ground to grab your ankles and hold you in place till the others arrive. From what I can tell however they do not have any will of their own. In essence, cut off the head and the body will die. Kill the mage and the undead will no longer attack and likely return to being dead. However the problem would be getting to the mage. He probably has thousands of undead that he can control making it near impossible to get close. The man is also insane. I don't claim to understand his reasoning but it is more than just bloodlust." Keenan continued to explain before approaching a more dreaded subject of the undead themselves.

"As for the undead, most seem to be pretty weak on their own and need numerous to work to over power you. However this isn't the case for all of them. It so happens that he has one of my brethren as one of his undead. A young witcher, fresh in the field died and is now under his control. It seems he didn't die long ago meaning his body is mostly intact, and he will probably be as strong as he was when living. The more decayed ones will fall easier then the ones that are still rather fleshy. If it comes down to it, let me handle Aaron since I will know his strength better then any of you. I can't say I have ever fought an undead withcher, but I fought Aaron so at least I am better prepared." The thought of having to fight Aaron was not a pleasant one, but if someone had to do it, that would be either him or
    Veera, and considering her situation it would likely have to be him. No one else had the knowledge or right to bring down another witcher besides the two of them.

[​IMG]
    "...We were sent to him to keep Tessa safe and for me to serve a punishment." Seth filled in the rest of why they were sent to him. "Not too much information was given to us on him, but he was reasonable enough with us, not talking much about himself. I was to work to pay for some care as my punishment, and since I haven't been looking for the job I was supposed to, I am a little worried what he might think." Seth finally explained the rest of the story to Adolin. He then glanced at Tessa with a gentle smile as he guided them through the street. They were going to be okay, he wanted to make sure she knew that, but he also had to convince himself of such things. There was a certain uneasiness about all this that Seth couldn't seem to put to rest, however Tessa did say she would do the talking, and since she was the innocent one, then perhaps Sigmund would listen better. His eyes returned to the streets ahead as he sighed and tried to think about what they were going to do about this all. "Honestly that is about as much as we know about Sigmund, so I would be prepared for anything if I were you." Seth advised Adolin as they entered the rich area of town near Sigmunds house.

[​IMG]
    Annabelle followed Evelynn into her office, taking in all the bookshelves before turning her attention back to the woman. The small girl didn't take a seat since she hadn't been given the okay to do so. It was one of few things that she had learned around the castle so far in the way of how she was supposed to act now that she lived here. "Well... I don't know. One of Archon's mages found me and her gre-Yana. He managed to chase her off and free me from her and then he brought me here. I don't particularly know why myself. My parents were farmers before Yana murdered them and made me follow her. I am nothing special at all." Annabelle explained wondering if any of that information might help Evelynn figure it out, but she doubted it. It didn't seem to make sense at all and this time Annabelle didn't think it was because of her lack of education.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Matilda managed to make it through the streets without anyone looking her way. She was just another face in the crowds that was not particularly noticeable. The young teen took extra care to avoid the area around her own home as she walked down the streets towards Sigmunds house, not knowing how safe her home would be if anyone decided to try to wholeheartedly look for them. On the other hand given everything that was going on, Matilda was not convinced that there was going to be much of a search for them, more likely guards just told to keep an eye out in case they do see them. It wasn't like her or her brother were dangerous anyways.

It had taken a bit of time, but Matilda at last found herself standing at Sigmunds front door, taking a deep breath before knocking, waiting for an answer. All she needed was to get her bag and then she could leave. She would patch up her brother and then they would leave the city for a while, until it was safe for them to return. Matilda clenched her hands into a fist as she fought off the dread of it all. She could do this, and she would, for her families sake they would flee. It wasn't safe here, even if it she didn't know much of the world beyond. At least she had her knowledge of medicines and herbs so if she had to she could get money for them, at least till her father found them. ​

11. Vladek515 Hollow Bastion Committee

Within the City a single Ghoul rushed towards Tobias delivering he message that Zavarius had brought wishing to speak for an arrangement. If they could come to an arrangement it could mean the prevention of the massacre of his children. Tobias headed for the gate and he went up ontop but remained out of sight behind the battlements to prevent a ranged hit. "You are speaking to the leader. My name is Tobias, who am I adressing?" The man asked shouting. "I am willing to parley with you to prevent bloodshed."

There was a knock on the door of the house, Sigmund hadn't been present at the murder of the Dopplers in the city, instead remaining at home, it was purely an act of populism, not surprising, people needed someone to blame and the King presented them with someone to blame. Sigmund headed for the door with a letter in hand, a letter from his old friend, requesting his aide at the Kaer, help with the Trial of the Grasses, it wouldn't be the first time for him to help out with these with his old friend, he opened the door and saw Mathilda standing in the doorway, minus Seth and Tessa.... "Good afternoon Mathilda, I didn't expect you back so soon, much less on your own, what happened?" The old mage asked.

[​IMG]
    Alastar was quite enjoying the game of Gwent as it provided a distraction, kept his mind occupied from the guilt for what happened to his neice. He knew what had happened and he doubted she wanted him to beat himself up over it, despite the promise. Like the time after he had attacked her on accident. He felt guilty then an initially she let him feel that way, but she'd tell him to stop beating himself up over it, that she was alright and had forgiven him for what he had done, knowing it wasn't his intention. Now that moment wouldn't come, he knew that. He took another sip of his Temerian Rye and placed the final card winning him the game. He agreed to another match and ordered another drink.

12. Relatively Sane Gummi Ship Junkie

[​IMG]
    Prince Vyle Blackwing, the Night Hunter
    Vyle's eyes narrowed "I could quite easily. I could do anything to stop you from running headlong into your death" He stated unemotionally, but avoiding eye contact. Suddenly he looked up and stared into her eyes "I have devoted my life to protecting humanity from the horrors the lurk in the dark. Horrors I have to constantly convince myself that I am not" He put his hands to his temples and closed his eyes, fraught with indecision "Why are you so stubborn...FINE" he barked "But at least let us face this together"

High Treasurer Evelynn Sylvig, the Storm Lady
    Evelynn rolled her eyes "Of course you're special, you're a mage" she exclaimed "And from what I've seen, you're rather skilled" she ignored the tragic backstory of the murder of the girl's parents because it was boring. "Anyway. If you're going to be ruler one day you should learn about our nation... I'm assuming you do know what nation we're in..?"

[​IMG]
    Solomon, the Deathbringer
    "You're right. Legends die. But death has never stopped me before and it never will" Solomon grinned. Suddenly he paused, and cocked his head to the side. "Hold that thought, someone's arrived" Solomon skipped away elegantly and soon arrived at the battlements of the outer wall with the hooded undead form of Aaron and a wraith beside him. He said nothing to the two gathered below, and simply looked down with a sinister smile.

[​IMG]
    Kilian Kadmark, the Voice of the Wild
    Sprint, jump, run, chase, sprint, run, leap, chase. Prey. Prey. I am the predator. Pray, Prey. Pray to your gods. They will not save you now. Chase. Sprint. All fours, chase. Howl. Growl. Prey can't escape. Prey within reach. Leap, pounce, grab. Claw, maul, shred, tear, rip, devour, drink. Blood. Raw meat. Delicious.
    Kilian looked up from his kill, and wiped his mouth. He scanned the forest. The prey had friends. He would let them live. They would spread the word of what lay within the forest. A terrible creature. They'll tell of how it sprang from the undergrowth and devoured two of their friends. Prey. They were so easily frightened, so quick to run instead of holding their ground. They'd run back to their stone walls and hide. They thought they were so safe. How wrong they were.

Zavarius Boldhorn, the Monster Slayer
    Zavarius waited a moment, impatiently. He could smell the foul monsters that occupied the city now. Suddenly a very humanlike voice called out, though the mage doubted anything human would live in such a place with such monsters "You are addressing Zavarius Boldhorn, member of the Royal Council and representative of King Archon Dragoncrest, first of his name, Supreme Ruler of Redania" the mage rattled off again, he hated having to repeat himself "If you move you and your... 'subjects' for lack of a better word... away from Oxenfurt and away from any Redanian city, we will let you leave in peace. Otherwise there may be bloodshed and if it comes to that we will not give up until Oxenfurt is reclaimed for the king. We have the city surrounded. Make the smart choice"

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  13. CrownMoksha Decimo

Sweallow didn't say anything in respond to Alyse for he knew that she was right. The gods easily could've done much worse to him if they saw fit. He certainly was fortunately to have escaped with his life. He continued to sit idly while Aylse placed the three cups on the table, only getting up and moving to the table when she said so. Despite the offer to speak, there wasn't much that he could think to to say at this given moment so Sweallow too was silent as he took a drink from the cup Aylse had provided.

The silence was eventually broken by Terra speaking. In truth he didn't think that she was in the best condition to be trying to use a portal, but he was out of it for some time so he didn't know the full extent of her current condition. She was able to make it to the table with no troubles, but walking to a table and creating a portal were two different matters "I thank you as well for your hospitality towards us. As for your offer Terra, I don't think that you should try to portal anywhere in your current state Terra."

14. al215 Kingdom Keeper

[​IMG]

"Ah, what the hell. You're right. Let's saddle up if you're ready to go. I'm a Witcher not a bloody princess. And neither are you." He shook his head, disapproving of his own caution. He still wasn't used to working alongside other people, at least other non-Witchers so he was likely overcompensating for other people's limitations. And it was only a light snow. "And yeah, of course. You come from Skellige. Must be a load of snow up there. You'll have to tell me about it along the way, never been. Never had cause to." Derrick began to walk towards the stables where they'd left their horses. He moved with a light stride, rolling his shoulders and getting used to the new equipment. He bet that the Old Crow would probably scold him for having something so stylish because it put a bit too much form over function in places but hey, he could deal with it. He had been scolded for the past few years of his life, he could deal with it.

[​IMG]

"Interesting. Sounds like this Witcher didn't seem to care that you were Dopplers. I suppose not all of them are indiscriminate killers." In the back of his mind, Adolin considered the possibility that he simply hadn't been paid to kill them. Though it did generally seem odd and even he, who was cynical of Witchers could not find a logical reason for the Witcher to send them to this Sigmund for any particularly evil reason. With the memory of Kaer Morhen fresh in his mind, he felt a pang of guilt. He had already accepted that what he had done may not have been morally the best. He and Alanna decided that. He hardly felt comfortable going to this confidant of the Witchers, but the news surely could not have spread so soon and he could probably be well shut of here by the time that the news eventually came around. "This friend of yours is rich. If he was willing to help you before, I'm sure that he'll be understanding now." A hand fell to his sword hilt. I hope he is.

[​IMG]

The General listened intently as the Witcher delivered an explanation of what he knew of these undead and quickly began to consider countermeasures for them.
    "Very well. Send word to the officers down the line, the tactics for handling undead will be thus - Our large shields out in front to hold them back, greatswords in the second rank and pikes in the third. Greatswords will stand behind the shieldbearers until they come too close for the pikes, at which point they will aim to carve these things to pieces and cripple. Beyond that, our infantrymen will fill in for the pikemen. Ensure that our most heavily armoured warriors are used, we want the most protection against these things. If I've judged the Witcher's words correctly, then there might not be too much to punch through our plate armour." Godyvron explained. "In the event that our men encounter this... Aaron without the Witcher's help then they will surround him with shields and impale him with pikes. If that does not stop him, then the greatswordsmen will put him out of action permanently." The messengers nodded once they had received their orders and rode off to deliver the news down the line and the General turned to face Keenan once more.
    "I apologise for the desecration of your comrade's corpse. It is simply practicality. I do not wish to see my soldiers dying to him. We've all heard stories of Witchers and a dead man walking is perhaps more terrifying than the living ones, if only for the shock factor." He explained. "The men we'll be deploying are professionals and should not break rank. These are hardened veterans and would rather fight for their lives than flee."

15. Aelin Best Waifu

[​IMG]
    While Keenan might not have liked the command, he understood it. He couldn't really expect anyone to hold off against Aaron for him to get there, if undead Aaron still had the same skill set as alive Aaron. If he asked the general to change his orders, he would be asking the general to send his men to their death. While they may or may not be already marching to their deaths, Keenan would not encourage anymore than necessary. "I understand sir. I would not ask you to hold back and put your men in more danger." The thought of someone that wasn't their own putting Aaron out of his misery was not a pleasant one, but he could understand it and it could be necessary. Keenan was not about to argue it, especially not when these men were his only hope to save Veera.

"We are getting close I trust you and your men are ready. I hope they are, for all of our sakes." Keenan commented in such a way that he hoped it wouldn't sound like he doubted their ability, more just hoping for the best. As he slowed his horse, he checked his gear one more time, to make sure he himself was ready. He had a few Swallow potions and his swords were in top condition. He wore a good set of witcher armour, so in theory he should be more than ready. However there was a little doubt in his mind, because this was not a typical contract. This time one of his family members life was on the line.
    [​IMG]
    Did being a mage really make her that special? Weren't there a lot of mages in this castle? Why was her being one any different. Maybe it was because she was a child mage and Archon needed a heir? Annabelle had met quite a few adult mages in her life, but she didn't actually remember meeting another child with powers like she had. Perhaps she was special. But certainly that couldn't make her special enough to be a princess. Ether way her mental questioning was cut short by more lessons. "Of course I know where we are. We are in Redania of the Northern Kingdoms." Annabelle announced, proud to know at least something of what was asked of her. It seemed up to the point all she could do was disappoint whoever happened to be teaching her at the time
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Matilda looked up to see Sigmund and no one else thankfully. That didn't mean Seth and Tessa were not here, but she didn't have to deal with them right away at least. And given how surprised he seemed that she was alone, Matilda guessed that they had not returned yet at all. Maybe they wouldn't return at all. Though that mattered little to Matilda, right now all that mattered was getting her supplies and back to her brother. Once she patched up Talon they would have to leave the city and then none of this stuff would be her problem anymore.

"I had a bit of a disagreement with them you see. We went our separate ways so I could find my brother while they did their own thing. And well when I did find him, he was injured. I just came here to get my medical supplies and Greg's toy so I can make sure my brothers are alright. I don't mean to intrude or anything." Matilda tried to explain the situation as loosely as possible, fearing more detail would lead to more questions, and more questions meant delaying getting back to her brother who had a wound that needed properly cleaned and bandaged. ​

16. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

[​IMG]
    Ana didn't say a word as she watched Vyle work through whatever his thoughts were. He was right; if he wanted to stop her, she couldn't do a damn thing about it. But she would remember, and it would be a long time before she would be able to forgive him for taking her freedom away. In that regard, he would be almost as bad as Milosh. Without the torturing bit, of course. Struggling to hold still when his gaze suddenly swung upon her, she squashed the desire to quail before him and instead imagined her spine made out of the hardest steel, keeping her back straight and tall as she stared back. And then incredibly, he caved.

Teliana blinked, a little uncertain as to what had happened as her brain struggled to process that she had actually won. And when she did, the smallest of smiles slipped onto her face before evaporating. Still solemn, she reached out gently and took Vyle's fingers in hers, gently entwining them for a moment before letting go.
    "Together." She promised, turning to look up at the ramparts of the ruined castle. It was then she saw a figure, staring down at them. Ana had only seen him once more, but there was no mistaking the awkward shape of his hat, or the sinister aura she could feel even from this distance. "Solomon." She whispered, to get Vyle's attention, but to also remind herself why they were here. It was time to end this, for all the people who had suffered because of him.

[​IMG]

Veera stared at Solomon, unwilling to rise to his taunts. She remained quiet until he turned and left, a small sigh leaving her lips at his departure. She ran her fingers through her hair, and then looked at Kruez. "Well you've remained silent this entire time. What are you thinking?" She asked, her eyes flicking to the doorway the mage had disappeared through before returning to the captive one at her side. "Come up with a way to get us out of here yet? Or simply wondering what we're having for dinner? If we even live that long." Letting one hand rest against the bars of the cage, she studied them, studied Solomon's words, and plotted. Death has not stopped him before...

"What kind of spells do you know? What magic do you work with?" She asked suddenly, lifting her hands from the bars to rub the aching wound on her shoulder as she turned to look at Kruez once more. "Perhaps we need not wait for rescue, if it ever comes. As much as I would like to count on the assistance of my fellow witcher, I cannot." Nor will I ever be able to again.
    [​IMG]
    Treasa started to follow Derrick, then grinned. "Funnily enough, I was about to call you "Your Highness". Kind of hard to tell the difference in that fancy armor of yours." She shouldered her way past a particularly rude bystander, making a face at them behind their back before carrying on without another glance. She didn't want to start a fight, after all. Not too badly. "And there isn't much to tell about Skellige. A collection of rocks and snow. But it's home. I hope to go back one day." Although she didn't know what she would do when she eventually, if ever, did return. Become a thane and serve the king, perhaps, or learn to eck out a living in the countryside as a farmer or a mercenary. There was always marriage, and a life as a housewife, but Treasa had never thought that would be the life for her.

She stood back while Derrick went up to the horses, still not entirely comfortable with the animals yet. If she had managed to ride them while injured and barely able to stay conscious, then she could do it when she was almost completely herself, right?

[​IMG]
    Tessa watched Seth, then Adolin, a small frown on her lips as she walked with them. Seth didn't seem as sure as she was of Sigmund's help, and she wondered if she was being too trusting. The habit had gotten her into a lot of trouble before....but then was she being too trusting of Seth? After everything he had done for her, after everything they had been through, he wouldn't turn on her too, would he? But Bryce had. Bryce had known you for years and he still stabbed you in the back as thought you were nothing. She swallowed back tears at the memory, brushing her hand against the backs of her eyes before continuing on.

"He'll help us. He has no reason not to. If he doesn't, we'll tell everyone that he's helping the Nilfgaardians. Then he won't have a home either." Tessa was surprised by how coldly the words left her mouth, but she meant them. People never gave anything for free, and if she had to take her safety, then she would do it. She was tired of being pushed around by this world.

[​IMG]
    Alyse leaned back, a small smirk on her lips at Terra's words. "You don't like the way I've treated you. You think it's unfair, right? Well guess what?" Alyse leaned forward, her eyes sparking dangerously. "Life isn't fair. Go, if you want. I won't stop you. I didn't spend all of my magic and half a day of my life trying to keep you from bleeding out. I have no reason to keep you alive." She took another sip of tea, letting the cup warm her cold hands. "In fact, if you do go, I could win money with your friend, wondering how long it'll take that berserker to track you down, finish what he started. I'd be interested to see how long you would last with an injury like that, and your magic as it is. But you go ahead. Do what you feel your pride tells you to."

Looking over at Sweallow, Alyse let a frown furrow the space between her brows.
    "You however, are not allowed to leave until I say so. The price of my keeping you alive." Running her fingers through her blonde hair, untangling the strands with her hand, she sighed. "This is why I don't deal with people. You all make such terrible decisions. I'm going to go get something stronger to drink. You can either come with, or stay. And gods help you if I return to find you gone." With that, she grabbed her winter coat and headed out the door for the tavern.

17. Relatively Sane Gummi Ship Junkie

[​IMG]
    Prince Vyle Blackwing, the Night Hunter
    Vyle blushed slightly as Ana entwined her fingers in his own, and let slip a tiny smile, revealing one elongated fang. He was distracted, however, upon the arrival of the hated mage himself. As Teliana spoke his name it was difficult to tell what emotions she was feeling. Fear? No that wasn't her style, not at a time like this. Determination? Probably. Vyle spotted the silhouetted figure on the ramparts, the mage he had spent years tracking down, the necromancer who had ruined so many lives, and afterlives. The vampire growled aggressively and his face twisted into a snarl. He gripped tightly onto Ana's arm, mostly to stop himself leaping at the necromancer with the intention of ripping him to shreds. In the back of Vyle's mind the beast desired blood and vengeance.
    "Solomon!" He snarled "The time has come for you to die!"

[​IMG]
    Solomon, the Deathbringer
    Solomon cackled maniacally at the display below him
    "And you're the one who's going to kill me are you? Whatever happened to fair trial? What gives you the right to judge my actions, when you cannot possibly comprehend the reason behind it all?" the necromancer sneered "What a strange duo you two make, affection for a human coming from a vampire? And I thought I'd seen everything!" he laughed "Anyway, to business. I have a witcher and a mage captive here, I do believe you may have met them briefly. It'd be shame if I had to kill them now, wouldn't it?"

[​IMG]
    Kilian Kadmark, the Voice of the Wild
    Earlier...
    Bare feet trod through a lush field of neatly grazed grass, they were dirty and calloused, these feet were well travelled. They didn't stop or slow as they stepped through the spilled blood and offal of a dead sheep, ripped apart by wolves. Its face pale, dead, and fearful. The feet stepped around the corpses of several more sheep, until they reached two sheep, the only two who had not been slaughtered by the recent massacre. The sheep stared blankly at the figure who approached, draped in leather and rough clothes, wearing a deer skull that obscured his wicked face. The figure finally stopped here, and knelt down, petting the sheep
    "Prey" it whispered in their ears, before moving off. Outside the farmstead sat a farmer and his wife, their faces solemn and drawn out, eyes filled with hopelessness. As the figure approached they stepped back slightly in shock. "Such a shame, my friend, that your flocks had to meet their end" he said levelly. The figure's voice was deep, yet soothing, reassuring, and very very calm. But there was a faint undertone that it carried, a bestial hunger
    "Who are you!? What are you doing here!?" the shepherd stammered, raising his crook defensively
    "There are some who would call me a shepherd, like yourself. I can help you" The figure intoned in his deep, yet smooth voice.
    "You can help? You think you can help? Open your eyes man! My livelihood has been ruined! Nothing short of a miracle can help me now!" The farmer replied with a scowl. The figure continued to smile his eerie smile, a smile that seemed to convey pity and only the faintest trace of humour.
    "Luckily for you, that's what I do. Miracles"
    "You can do magic?" the farmer asked, eyes wide
    "No. Not magic. Something older" the figure explained "I cannot bring back your sheep, but I can gift you with a whole new flock, twice the size of your old one. I will not ask for much. A share of your supper and shelter for the coming storm"
    "That sounds... reasonable... where are you gonna get these sheep from?" the farmer asked quizzically. He was rather shocked by this whole affair, and still wary of the odd stranger who had shown up so conveniently
    "That's not important" He stated reassuringly
    "Well then... I suppose I'd be very grateful for you help mister...?" the farmer accepted, holding out a hand to shake
    "Kadmark. Kilian Kadmark" He stated, ignoring the proffered hand. Kilian turned around back to the field and the dead sheep. The farmer thought it was odd, there were bloody trailed behind many of the corpses, as if they'd been dragged. These trails seemed to join up with one another, arranged in some sort of circle. The farmer didn't like looking at the remains, but from what he'd seen it almost seemed intentional. Kilian knelt in the middle of this circle of bodies and held his hands to the ground. His mouth moved as if he was speaking words, but no sound came out. Instead, the sound of the wind rose in volume, and the farmer was sure he could hear the distant howling of wolves.
    Currently...
    The farmer and his wife watched with suspicion as Kilian gobbled up the stew heartily and almost animal-like. He didn't even touch the spoon, and though his eating seemed erratic and wild, he didn't spill a drop. He placed down the bowl with a sigh and grinned at the farmers, revealing canine teeth that seemed much too large for most humans. The storm battered at the farmstead outside
    "This snow won't be good for the flock..." the farmer said hesitantly
    "They will survive" Kilian stated. The flock had arrived during the storm and the farmer had been amazed, From out of the forest came large black sheep who came calmly and orderly through the gate and into the field. The farmer had been herding them up earlier to head into the barn, and he didn't even need to say a word, or bring out his sheepdog. IT was as if the sheep knew his intentions. It wasn't as if the sheepdog would have been much use anyway, he seemed afraid of the new sheep. In fact, even the surviving original sheep were afraid of the arrivals. The farmer was wary too, but this morning he was ruined and now he was saved, so he was happy.
    "I shall be leaving now" Kilian stated abruptly as he stood
    "But what... what do I do now?"
    "You will survive. Be grateful" Kilian stated, his normall smooth voice carrying an undertone of threat. Before leaving the building Kilian crouched down to pet the frightened sheepdog by the door. He whispered into its ears "Isn't it strange how most humans can't tell danger as well as you can?". The farmer looked out of the window as Kilian left. One of the black sheep were left out in the field, but it didn't seem to be worried about the cold. They were strange sheep, they didn't seem to be shaped exactly like sheep should be.
    "What's worrying you dear? Our livelihood is restored!" the farmer's wife stated with excitement. The farmer felt a chill up his spine
    "Call me insane dear but... I could have sworn I just saw that sheep... eating one of the bodies"

High Treasurer Evelynn Sylvig, the Storm Lady
    "Good!" Exclaimed Evelynn, relieved that Annabelle knew that much. She took out a map and laid it out on the table "There's Temeria, Kaedwen, Tussaind..." Evelynn trailed off towards the end as she hesitated to say the next place...

King Archon I, Supreme Ruler of Redania
    "...Nilfgaard" Archon finished Evelynn's sentence as he appeared at the door "Nilfgaard. The ones who encroach upon our kingdom as we speak. If you learn anything today Annabelle it must be this: The Nilfgaardians are evil" Archon stated with seriousness as he entered "They want everything, and they're never satisfied with what they have. They will stop at nothing to take Redania. All these books, all these academics... they will not help you when the Nilfgaardians lay siege to Novigrad. You must understand how to lead, and how to wage war" Archon sat down and stared at his adoptive daughter "Of course, I wouldn't expect you to understand at your age. Yet I will ask you this. What trait do you think is most important in a leader?"

18. Aelin Best Waifu

[​IMG]
    Seth supposed that he hadn't known Tessa for all that long but since arriving here he had seen a surprisingly dark side of her that he had not expected to see. He wondered if she always had that side hidden, or if it spawned from all that happened to her and all that was happening here. Either way he supposed it wasn't up to him to judge it at all, and he wasn't, it was just surprising. With this sort of fire in her though, he knew that she would fight to keep herself safe, and though he still worried h wouldn't need to as much.

Seth rounded the last corner towards
    Sigmunds house as he spotted a figure standing at the door. While she had a hood on and it was hard to tell who it was, the purple hair peaking out from the hood, pulled out of it by the wind gave it away. "Well there is our friend that we were looking for earlier." He indicated to Matilda, allowing the others to make the first move. He was not the one that was on bad terms with her, and he honestly didn't know what to say to her. This time he wasn't the one looking for any trouble or fighting, he was just along for the ride.
    [​IMG]
    Terra knew perfectly well that life was not fair. However that wasn't the problem here.It was clear no one cared if she was around or not, and with everything that was happening and people seeming to be trying to kill her, why would she risk the life of other people to stay in a place that she clearly was not wanted. Every time the woman spoke it pissed Terra off more and more. "Go fuck yourself." Terra told her in a cold voice as she stood up from the table giving Swaellow a bit of an apologetic look. She didn't like the idea of leaving him here with this woman, she didn't trust this woman, but she had saved his life so she couldn't be that horrible. She had already left Zephyr to whatever fate had in store for him in order to save herself. And now she was going to leave Swaellow with a woman that Terra really couldn't figure out or trust. Both probably horrible decisions on her part, but what was one more bit of guilt to add to the pile from her life.

Without another word Terra opened a portal. She didn't really know where she opened it do, she didn't care. She just needed to get away from everything. Forever running it seemed.

[​IMG]
    Annabelle looked at the map, picking out cities that she knew that she had been in before with Yana. The two of them never really settled anywhere and often traveled to new cities, so she knew some of what Evelynn was speaking of already. Though Annabelle was caught off guard when Archon walked into the room. She jumped at first, then found herself sitting up a little straighter as she looked at her kind and new father in the eyes as he spoke to her. She started to wonder if Yana was from Nilfgaard since he was pretty much describing her when talking about them. Since Annabelle had never learned much about them, she clung on to every word that Archon told her, not even thinking to question it.

The idea of war however was an uncomfortable one. She didn't want more fighting and violence. She had seen enough already to never want to see it again. However if it was to fight evil people, did that make it okay? If there wasn't a war would the Nilfgaardians hurt the innocent people of this city? She supposed that they would or
    Archon would not go to such extreme lengths right? He was nice to her and was willing to adopt a random orphaned girl, so he must be a good person, she needed to learn to trust him more.

There was a question on what made a good leader. While Annabelle didn't really know and didn't remember too much of the stories her mother told her when she was younger, Annabelle did her best to remember and draw from what she knew of them for her answer.
    "Um... Well in the stories mommy always told me the king had the respect of the people and fought with them and not just watch them fight. I don't know what you would call that though." Annabelle told Archon hoping that she was getting the right idea.

19. Vladek515 Hollow Bastion Committee

Tobias listened to what the Redanian Commander had to say. "And where do you propose we go then Representative Zavarius? And if you have the city surrounded how do you envision us leaving, further more what guarantee can you give me that you won't attack me and slaughter my children as soon as we leave this city?" Tobias replied. "My Children have bled enough, if we can solve this without bloodshed I would prefer it that way. I have a proposition for you, if you pull back your troops so I can be certain you will not attack us as we leave this place." Tobias offered, still not showing himself.

[​IMG]
    The second match wasn't as easy as the first one and it last for 21 rounds before it finally came to a conclusion. It was a hardfought game. One that Alastar lost, but only narrowly. "You're a damn good player" The Merchant said. "You ain't so bad yourself." Alastar replied. "Been a while since I have met such a good opponent. Guess it comes with the proffesion." The merchant didn't know what to say to that aside from offering another round of cards , Alastar thanked and asked if the Merchant had any stories to tell. Alastar bought a round for the two of them and listened as he recounted the story of the Zanguebarian striped horse he had gone through a lot of trouble to acquire, lost and reclaimed several times only to find out he had been scammed. Alastar listened attentively especially when the part came where the man claimed to have extracted the beast from a Wyvern Nest, all by himself. It didn't matter that it may have been boastfull it distracted him and that's what mattered to him at this moment.

Sigmund listened to what Matilda had to say "Very well, go get your things then. It is good that you came when you did, too much longer and I may have been gone. I hope your brothers will be alright, but with a sister like yourself how couldn't they be? Send your older brother my regards." He let her in the house, closing the door behind her, not having seen Seth, Tessa and Adolin, and left her to her own devices as she had explained. While he himself was packing things for the journey, he could just teleport towards his old friend, he didn't. He had been in the house for too long and figured that a nice journey like this would do him well. He finished up packing and waited to let Matilda out of the house before leaving himself.

20. CrownMoksha Decimo

[​IMG]

With both Ana and Vyle having gone off towards Solomon's castle, it had left him in the company of Selene , whom he didn't trust in the slightest. This lead to there being nothing other than silence as he kept his eyes focused on the castle ahead. His teal eyes noticed what appeared to be someone else showing up on horseback. He couldn't make out much more than that from his current distance. It wasn't farfecthed to believe that they too were after Solomon, he did apparently have a far amount of people after him.

[​IMG]

Soon after Solomon had left, Veera turned her attention towards him. "Well I've thought of a way to get out of this cage, now escaping the castle is a bit trickier." Kruez explained. It namely on the mass of undead that were probably still buried in the floor. Though with Solomon currently being distracted for the time being, that could work in their favor.

Her next question was one in regard to the magic he used.
    "It's a special type of magic." His hand was then held out in front of his as some magic was focused into the palm of his hand. The magic eventually took shape in the form of a gun. "The short answer is that I can make these weapons, each one with it's own effect. One of which could, in theory, get us out of our current situation." The gun vanished once he'd finished with his short explanation.

[​IMG]

The time that had passed since Xross had chosen to leave had been a dull time filled with nothing but his boredom as he simply walked around aimlessly. Maybe he would go back to the tavern to see if there was any trouble that he could cause. Doing so would certainly clear up the boredom he was feeling it his plan worked.

It was clear to see that Terra and Alyse were not going to get along easily. Sweallow didn't think any good would come from Terra trekking off on her own in her current condition, nor did he agree with the way Alyse spoke to them. Though he wasn't in much position to complain. She was still the reason that he was alive, let alone had his arm still attached. Now Terra had gone off to who knows were and Alyse herself had left as well, given him the option to either stay here or go with her. A few moments were spent thinking on this before he got up from his seat and went after Alyse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.