My new wifi doesn't have any apartment

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by Chad Thundercucc, May 19, 2016.

1. Chad Thundercucc The dharma of valvu; the dream of a clatoris

So I have my laptop on a table setup with an ethernet cable like it's 2003.

Does anyone know any good chatrooms or limewire viruses I can download?

2. 61 No. B

if only if only the woodpecker sighs

3. Misty gimme kiss

you can get a cheapo router for like 25 smackaroos

4. Chad Thundercucc The dharma of valvu; the dream of a clatoris

I low-key hate owning a smartphone. Wouldn't mind it if we all went back to flip phones for a bit.

It was actually 40 rupies. You owe me currency.

5. 61 No. B

yeah me too but im gonna take a second to point out my brilliant post which no one acknowledged - its in response to a post about old timey tech from 2003 and i used a quote that not only accurately conveys my feelings on the topic but is from a movie released in 2003 about putting people in an old timey place. i mean come on.

6. Hayabusa Venomous

This is the part where I ask what's wrong with owning smartphones that doesn't have to do with other people's habits.

7. Calxiyn Keyblade Master

I always liked those Rogers internet sticks where you could have internet for a few days in between getting stuff set up. Tbh going to your local fast food place and stealing their wifi is probably better then paying for a stick even still.

8. Misty gimme kiss

I don't necessarily love the idea that people have to be accessible at all times. It started with texting, which of course you can do on flip phones, but is basically the standard now that everyone has a smartphone. And I guess that's a cellphone thing in general, that it's easy for someone to get in touch with you no matter where you are and when it is. That certainly has its benefits for emergencies and such, but it's kinda nice when I go on vacation upstate I'm often out of cellphone range and have no wifi. I can detox a bit.

Of course, feeling this way doesn't stop me from getting frustrated when someone doesn't reply to me in a timely manner.

I don't know. I don't hate smartphones and a lot of people's annoyances with them are related to people's habits rather than the thing itself (scrolling through insta when you're having a conversation with them), but on my days off I'm still getting blown up with texts and emails from my job and I would rather not lol

9. Hayabusa Venomous

I also don't really get the issue of being contacted a lot...why not just turn the thing off at that point? My brother-in-law did this with his work phone when he visited: he brought the thing but never turned it on.

10. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

This^

Man, I sure hate having access to all of the information ever and keeping the device that does so in my pocket so I can never get lost, not find a place to eat or use the restroom, or run out of gas. I even hate when I'm able to settle a trivia-debate I'm having with someone by googling it in front of them and not have to have an adventure to the public library, follow the organizational system that some kid screwed up to find some obscure trivia about who was the main actor in Miracle on Ice.

11. Chad Thundercucc The dharma of valvu; the dream of a clatoris

This forms a dependence, though. Sure it is convenient to never get lost, but wouldn't it be much better to be able to find a place on your own with the help of some directions?

Like I'm glad I'll never get lost in the city, but I have the utmost respect for the people who had to deal with maps (especially subway maps) to get to places and it's a little disappointing that most people from now on won't have to be forced in that situation and become self-reliant.

12. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Finding a place "on your own with the help of some directions" is no different than using technology to get to point A to point B.

13. Misty gimme kiss

Because it's also my personal phone.

14. Chad Thundercucc The dharma of valvu; the dream of a clatoris

I guess a more traditional means is what I had in mind. I guess it feels like reading a map takes more skill than following directions from your gps.

15. 61 No. B

who here said that if they go back to a flip phone theyre gonna demand that everyone else do the same? i missed that.

people like vinyl and playing their new music on a phonograph or whatever the fuck. this is kinda like that. but only kinda.

if i do bust out the 06 motorola razr its because of money and how much use i dont get out of whats intended for a smartphone.

also who remembers mapquest and printer cartridges

16. Iskandar King of Conquerors

My family still uses print cartridges on our printer., and so do the ones at my work.

17. Hayabusa Venomous

Phones are meant for communication...so I don't see the issue there...if you wanted the internet and games and select communication and stuff just have a laptop or something.

Like I really feel like I'm missing something here.

Then...don't use the navigation part? You can just bring up a map on your phone and navigate on your own.

I never said anyone is going to force anyone else to use a flip phone.

Vinyl sounds better than most other storage forms for music.

Money is a great reason to not have a smart phone too.

18. Misty gimme kiss

I'm not going to turn off my phone because I don't want to be contacted by my job because I also use it for family and friends and ****

19. Hayabusa Venomous

How is this specific to a smartphone?

20. Misty gimme kiss

I think smartphones being so prevalent has helped society develop this idea that people are always available. Which, like I said, is a cellphone thing in general. But smartphones also have email, I get work emails a lot and I don't really want to deal with them when I'm not working. It's a school thing too. I've had professors send out assignments or changes to the readings the night before the class. I don't feel that's really fair to students. In cases of emergencies where the class has to be cancelled last minute of course I like to have as much notice as possible, as a commuter. I'm not in the anti-smartphone party by any means, but I think that people now have this expectation that I'll text or email them back in any situation because they know I have my phone on me. Cellphones did that already but smartphones have made it worse. Because with older cellphones, people were still primarily taking calls and there are situations in which a person can't take a call (at a movie, out to dinner, in the shower, whatever), but in some of those cases with a smartphone, people expect a reply regardless.