My new wifi doesn't have any apartment

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by Chad Thundercucc, May 19, 2016.

1. Hayabusa Venomous

I kind of get where you're coming from now, but I have these opinions on the specific points:

• You could always just turn off notifications for emails.
    • Totally agree that it's unfair for professors to send assignment changes the night before, but that's less the fault of the technology and more the fault of the professor.
    • I don't know what's wrong with people having those expectations: I don't think you have to change how you act just because of other people (with this specific thing.) If they get peeved, oh well, it's not their life, it's yours.

2. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

Well, then aren't I dependent on directions and someone giving me them or looking it up sooner? Aren't I at the will of the world atlas? I think you're just choosing your dependencies at that point. Do I want to be dependent on the thing in my pocket that I own and manipulate or the map in the subway that someone could graffiti on without me knowing because I don't work for the station and now I don't have a map. Just because I use a smartphone doesn't mean I can't map either. You can be bi-lingual.

3. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

Hue.

4. Chad Thundercucc The dharma of valvu; the dream of a clatoris

There was a time in which getting from point A to point B without being familiar with the area could be considered difficult. Now that it has become so easy thanks to gps, I think that we could potentially lose a natural part of ourselves: a sense of direction. We're so dependent on technology, that we won't be able to do certain things (like tell directions) without them. At least reading a map is a skill, following directions from Siri is not so much.

5. 61 No. B

yeah but what if they take the maps down and the taxis stop running. i mean shiiit people used to have to walk places for days

6. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

With that line of thinking we should all live inside of caves

7. Chad Thundercucc The dharma of valvu; the dream of a clatoris

That's why you have to stock up on maps. You don't know where you're gonna go.

Yeah, stop that.

8. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

But it is ridiculous. Technology evolves and so do people. Yeah if you took most of the modern day "city people" and told them to survive in a forest for a few days, they would be ****ed. The problem is, that isn't going to happen. As somebody whose father LOVES the outdoors and survival type stuff, I can understand how "depending" on technology can SEEM bad, but there are so many things we also depend on that makes your argument kind of go up in flames. For example, what about medicine? Without the advances of technology in medicine, a lot of people (more than there already are) would be dead. There is no debate in that at all. Obviously depending 100% on technology for navigation can be an issue, which is why it is important to have backups available if you are going somewhere you aren't familiar with (maps and such). The thing to remember though, is those things are BACKUPS, meaning they don't NEED to be used unless there is some form of emergency (you breakdown, end up somewhere you aren't aware, and have no gps signal or your phone is dead). Just because something is more complicated doesn't make it better.

9. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

This is a myth. There is no "sense of direction." You can't know where you're going without knowing. There's knowing which way you're going and not knowing and guessing. You either have information like "It's North, so we need to head North and figure out which way North is" or you don't and you say "well, maybe that way?" Sense of direction is just logically deducing which way something might be.

10. Chad Thundercucc The dharma of valvu; the dream of a clatoris

Yay, you got my point. Proud of you. ; ) [DOUBLEPOST=1464094580][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Replace "sense of direction" with "memory". Obviously you could find your way there with gps and remember it from then on, but you're less likely to and might depend on it more often.

11. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Says who though? If anything it sounds like you are just making this up. "You are less likely to learn about 'X' because you aren't doing it 'this' way." You are allowed to have whatever opinion you want, but don't throw in fake "statistics" or "facts" as a way to defend your point.

Like why are people more likely to depend on GPS after learning a certain route with it? If the route was complicated enough and they were using a traditional map, would they not need to reference the map several times to figure out where they should be going? They are both the same tool, one is just updated and gives more detailed information (accident alerts, upcoming school zone alerts, traffic alerts, etc).

12. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

I mean, that seems more to do with a person's regular remembering skill. I always use a GPS to get where I'm going the first time but I always try to know the route more too. But I also have top tier memory, and I'm sure those things are connected. GPS's also existed before smart phones, so we're kinda tangenting.

13. Hayabusa Venomous

I don't know the last time I had the luxury to not just use a GPS to save both time and gas for someplace I hadn't been to before.

14. Chad Thundercucc The dharma of valvu; the dream of a clatoris

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  15. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

"MAY have negative effects on brain function"

Also it should be mentioned that there are far too many outliers to say that this study (or any similar study of this nature) actually proves anything. On top of that I don't see anything in that article that says it's a double blind study, nor do I see anything about how many people participated in the study. Without such information this is nothing more than mere speculation.

You don't know if the people who started the study. Are they biased? What about the people who are funding it. How much of a hand do they have in it?

And about the group of people being tested. Were they all in the same state of health? Genetics perhaps, is that not a factor?

Also the whole standardized test thing is hilarious. Have you ever been to a neurologist? I have :) in fact I've taken some of those cognitive responses tests (along with a plethora of other ones, pretty much every one of them in the book). Funny thing about that test. I scored lower than what my neurologist would have hoped for and yet I've maintained a 4.0 in my last three semesters in college. I've vastly improved since my car accident so it is safe to say that some of those tests my neurologist wanted to do didn't really say much about my brain activity.

16. Chad Thundercucc The dharma of valvu; the dream of a clatoris

It doesn't say that everyone who uses a gps will have their hippocampus deteriorate. The study suggests that there is a direct correlation between continued gps use and deterioration of the hippocampus, which backs up my previous statements. You suggested that I made things up, so I posted some research that supports my claims.

And sure, it can be biased, but what does a university gain by lying about gps use? You're grasping at straws here.

17. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Yes but without the study being done correctly it neither proves nor suggests anything accurately.

At best what you did was look up "sources" to back your claim. Searching for something to prove that you are correct isn't valuable to the conversation. Heck you can do that with anything (even if you are wrong).

How am I grasping at straws when you are the one posting lack luster "proof" to support your claim. I am giving you different angles and things to look at when it comes to this particular subject. It's rather disturbing that you'll ignore the flaws of this entire study because "why would a university lie about something".

I'll leave it at that since you don't really care about the quality/validity of your sources.

18. Chad Thundercucc The dharma of valvu; the dream of a clatoris

The website has been used as a credited source for many publications. Unfortunately, the page for the background info you're looking for is no longer there. So you're right, it could be biased. But if you know anything about Biology, the less something is used, the more likely it is to shrink. So sure, not all of the details are there, but it is consistent with what we know about how the world works, and the study is coming from a university, one of the most credible sources for research.