Music Trade/Request/Review Thread!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Ars Nova, Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Okay, here's the scoop. This place is deader than it should be, especially with such diverse musical tastes on the forums. So let's get things hopping, huh?

In the Music Trade/Request/Review Thread, you MAY...

* Recommend a song or artist to a specific user. If you've tried and failed to contact somebody and they've just got to hear this new song you like, or you want to gauge a distant acquaintance's musical tastes, toss something up for consideration. Don't be shy!

* Put forth a song or artist for the forum at large to check out. I'm really hoping for some give-and-take here, so if you've checked something out from the thread, try and put up something of your own! Doesn't have to match the genre, or the theme... You don't even have to think it's as good as what you listened to! Could be something someone wants to hear, you never know.

* Request a song or artist, or music of a certain genre. If you hear something in a Youtube video and you don't know where it comes from, or you just want to hear more music of a specific kind, you can make a request. Anyone can respond to a request in-thread or, obviously, through any other medium. Although, if you do make a request, be courteous and keep an eye out for other requests you may be able to fulfill.

* Review someone else's recommendation. If you check something out that someone else posted, recommend it yourself! Write a review, just say you liked it, what ever you please. Now, your review can be negative, but please keep in mind the rules below when writing a negative (or, preferably, critical) review. It's possible to dislike something without being mean about it.

In the Music Trade/Request/Review Thread, you MAY NOT...

* Insult anyone's music or taste in music. I'm only gonna say this once, and you need to heed it (even if you don't agree with it) if you're going to post in this thread; because in here, it is not an opinion, it is a rule. Your taste in music is not superior to anyone else's. If you dislike a song, you can write a critical review; you can just say, "I didn't care for it;" you can recommend some of your music to the poster; or you could just move along to the next song. If you're responding to something you dislike, make your best effort to remove personal opinion from your response and approach it as clinically as you can. Don't want no turbulence up in here.

* Spam the thread with recommendations. Now, this isn't to put a leash on anyone; some of us just really love our music, and we've just got to share it with everybody *cough guilty cough*. But if I take a look at any page in the thread and half the posts on it are yours, even if you're following all the other rules, you might be overdoing it. Give others a chance to spread the love.

Essentially, whatever you're doing, remember the "trade" aspect of the thread; try to give when you take, and do both in moderation. And remember that everything is welcome. Everything. Rap will not be turned away; country will not be turned away; screamo, metal, noisecore, shoegazer, christian, jazz hop, big band, gypsy punk... Whatever your flavor, let's hear it.

EDIT: There was originally a list of all the music here, but... I mean, I don't think anyone needs it or will read it. It's already in the thread, right? You guys will look through it and find what you're after. All the list is doing is keeping me from posting for dread of having to update it. I would certainly put up, say... songs that a popular vote says should be shared, or maybe specific recommendations? I dunno, your call! This thread serves the people, not the other way around.

2. Firekeyblade Hollow Bastion Committee

BLAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! YOU'LL NEVER FIND OUT!
    Rusko- Hold On Sub Focus Remix. I heard it once in a dance act and, I just like the beat. This is for anyone.

3. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

4. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Added to the list. Thanks for your contribution! Pretty sure that's the right version, let me know if you meant a different one.

Ooh, that is a nice beat. It's not as quick a tempo as I would expect from the instrumentation, but that sort of gives it a spacey, out-of-this-world vibe. And the singer's voice is lovely. It's unique, dance-able. Really takes me away. Definitely worth a listen.

Now, for my contribution... I'll throw in "Ghetto Burnin'" by Phonat. I recently discovered Phonat through MrSimon's favorites. I am in love with the melody, it must set off a chemical reaction in my brain or something. Great electro track, lots of attitude, perfect for a night on the town.

EDIT: Whoop, I got ninja'd. I'll have your stuff up in a sec, Makaze.

RE-EDIT: Mmkay, they're up! And I won't list it as a formal review, but The Decemberists (and Makaze, of course) kind of inspired this idea, so you can guess they're pretty great.

5. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

I have some reviews.

For: Rusko - Hold On (Sub Focus Remix) (Recommended by Firekeyblade)

I would pretty much echo what Sforzato had to say on this; it is well done rhythmically with clean vocals and above all it is smooth and without loss or distortion through the use of its filters. I like that in my music. I have heard it from you before.

For: Phonat - Ghetto Burnin' (Recommended by Sforzato)

Not as enjoyable overall. It is not annoying, but not worth listening to repeatedly. A good addition to a soundtrack, but not an album that I would listen to often or buy. A little overproduced, to be honest. Simple and clean gets the job done...

6. Guardian Soul hella sad & hella rad

7. Fork These violent delights have violent ends

Alright, I will keep this thread updated from now on when I have some free time, like I told you Sforzato.
    I'll also sticky it because this section needs something to liven it up.
    Cheers guys.

8. Darkandroid Gets it Together

It Must Really Suck to be Four Year Strong Right Now - Four Year Strong

I love this song. Scrap that, I love the whole damn album Enemy of the World. I love the energy it brings. It always brings a smile to my face. For the past 10 months it's been one of my favourites

Here are some more songs from them:

Tonight We Feel Alive (On A Saturday)
    Enemy of the World

I guess I can bring over some recommendations I made in another thread.

9. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Another duet for you! I present of Montreal.

For the sake of clarity, please ignore the videos until you have heard the songs at least once with some kind of focus.

Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?

The Sunlandic Twins

Skeletal Lamping

I can provide all of these albums on request, if anyone wants them.

10. jojoj13 Hollow Bastion Committee

11. Janime6 the truest queen of them all

12. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Updating the list. Sorry about the delay.

I'm already starting to see problems with my layout... Anyone got any ideas as to how we could improve it?

13. Chevalier Crystal Princess

What do you mean?

Anyhow...I'm looking for a male vocalist that's good to listen to. Not anything overly heavy or some rock, please. Something nice, probably really smart with their voice, so I'd expect lots of harmonies or something melodious. Possibly a soloist.

Recommends? Well...

I recommend Imogen Heap. I'll come back to recommend more when I think about it.

14. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

It looks really... bulky. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

Oh, and please remember to make a contribution when you put in requests.

15. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Andrew Jackson Jihad

People Who Can Eat People Are the Luckiest People in the World

Can't Maintain

Only God Can Judge Me

Candy Cigarettes and Cap Guns

Andrew Jackson Jihad/Ghost Mice Split

16. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

To you (and to...everyone), I recommend Hawksley Workman. He ventures into a wide variety of genres, including anywhere from very soft and easy rock, to cabaret, to harder rock, and even some pop-rock as well. His voice is very melodic, and to be competely truthful, he's probably the only singer that could sing my clothes off. *cough*

"We Will Still Need A Song" by Hawksley Workman (recommended for Stardust)

Hawksley Workman

Album: (Last Night We Were) The Delicious Wolves

Album: Meat

Album: Lover / Fighter

Album: Milk

*Y'all might recognize this one from a commercial or two.

17. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Allow me to contribute something for you.

Introducing Sufjan Stevens.

Illinoise

18. Plums Wakanda Forever

Bump.

Two recommendations:

Los Campesinos!

We are Beautiful, We are Doomed
    We Are All Accelerated Readers
    Romance is Boring
    We Throw Parties, You Throw Knives
    Death to Los Campesinos!

Emmy the Great

First Love
    Paper Forest (In the Afterglow of Rapture)
    Absentee
    Paper Trails

Emmy the Great is more indie-folk, and usually her songs start out slow and get faster as it progresses. Also her lyrics are beautiful.

Los Campesinos! is indie-pop, and they have a wide variety of sounds in their music. Probably my favorite has to be the violins in We Are All Accelerated Readers.

19. ShibuyaGato Transformation

Hey gaiz.

I'm kind of looking for a good pop-ish group with and some rock elements blended into their music (lots of drums and guitar, stuff like that).

Any reccomendations?

20. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

Cat, I think you might like a band called Marianas Trench.

They are quite humourous in their videos, too. c:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.