Mafia [MAFIA] Lovers Mafia [GAME OVER, MAFIA VICTORY]

Discussion in 'The Playground' started by Makaze, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Korosu Kingdom Keeper

It was random.

2. cstar stay away from my waifu

You shouldn't speculate on mafia plans, especially since Mafia has a day chat. What if they didn't do that and you just gave them the plan? It only makes me wonder if you can say that because you personally went through with it.

3. Midnight Star Master of Physics

This only just started and there's already so many posts and votes and I can't keep up or multitask. Previous to the game started I was like I'm gonna be all organised and decisive and helpful. And now everything has kinda gone out of the window.

I was going to say we need to get people talking and votes to get people talking and defending others but you've all already beat me to it so I don't know what to say now.

Playing mafia and cards against humanity at the same time is hard.

4. Calxiyn Keyblade Master

In a normal game, they would have a nightchat where they could decide to use the plan the next day. It doesn't really matter, if they want to use it it's a sped up process anyway.

Now in GENERAL if we shouldn't talk about Mafia plans that's a different story lol. But the nature of this game doesn't change that.

5. al215 Kingdom Keeper

Okay, I just got back from training and I've read through the thread. I'll post something after I've had a shower and stuff.

6. Judge Sunrose Destiny Islands Resident

So wait, lemme get this straight. Town can actually lose on day 1?

Reasoning is as follows: It's possible that there is a group of three townies magically bound together by the strings of fate, say A <3 B and A <3 C. If A is mislynched, B and C die as well. Since we're at 8v5, that means the game would be at 5v5 after the mislynch, which is Game Over, no? I know it's a very slim chance, but still...

Unless the Mod would have prevented this configuration from happening in the first place, hmm.

7. Mish smiley day!

Sorry, but I remain unconvinced lol. I believe the reason why you're being this defensive over us 'accusing' you of only having one lover is because Cal floated the idea of potentially lynching people who wouldn't end up causing the death of 2 others.

So I believe that you only have one lover and I believe that your defense is self-serving. That doesn't have to be a bad thing. But it's worth noting that the town is supposed to work as a unit, rather than every-town-out-for-themselves.

All that said, I don't think we should rely on killing off people who we believe to only have one lover. I haven't played a lovers mafia game before but is it not worth going the usual route of policy-lynching the quiet ones? Or will that not work as well with people having others connected to them? :E

8. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

That is a possible eventuality. You are technically in LYLO. Pro tip, do not WIFOM the mod.

9. cstar stay away from my waifu

Okay what is WIFOM I tried google searching it but I still don't fully understand it.

10. Calxiyn Keyblade Master

I think it wouldn't hurt for the first day, but in the future I don't think it is a great idea to use all the time.

Lynching the quiet ones could potentinally be really dangerous and take out our more active members which becomes a problem that we can talk about more in the future.

11. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

Just curious, why did you pick a random name, when we've already started pointing fingers a little bit?
    Well, yes, but they would normally have a whole day-phase where they're not able to talk to each other, and now they can plan in-game. And actually, I don't really see how giving them this idea speeds things up. If anything, if they hadn't already thought of this, than we lose a key opportunity to get a Mafioso by extension when killing their lovers, which will extend the game. tbh, though, I don't think that the specific theorizing here is a problem. The likelihood that not a single Mafioso thought of this plan already is slim, and they probably did already tell each other their lovers. But I do agree that we should be more careful with public speculation in the future.

12. Calxiyn Keyblade Master

13. Calxiyn Keyblade Master

Also the probablity of picking Karuta as a "random name" is 1/13. I'm not saying it's unlikely, but at the same time I don't buy it was entirely random, espesically when Karuta already has another vote.

14. Splodge Twilight Town Denizen

That threat is there no matter who you lynch, so I don't think keeping mafia tradition of lyncihng inactives hurts this game anymore than usual.

15. Midnight Star Master of Physics

While this is probably true, getting into someone probably not voting for their own lovers is kinda WIFOM. I think at this point, we're actually best asking people about their gut feelings and who they think is mafia on instinct. Normally I would agree with lynching inactives but in a lovers game you could end up lynching two really active people just from one inactive.

16. Calxiyn Keyblade Master

When did I say that?

17. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

♥ CAN YOU FEEL THE LOVE? ♥

Marushi (2) - Splodge, Karuta
    Karuta (2) - Marushi, Korosu

Ars Nova (1) - tribbles
    Jiku Neon (1) - Judge Sunrose

Not voting (7) - al215, Ars Nova, Calxiyn, Jiku Neon, Midnight Star, Mish, Saxima

With 13 players alive, it takes 7 votes to hammer.

Day 1 ends at 12 PM EST/EDT on July 31st. There are approximately 2 days and 19 hours remaining.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  18. Midnight Star Master of Physics

You didn't but I could see the thread going that way leading on from your post, you said nothing wrong. It was more of a pre-emtive warning. Sorry if I wasn't clear what I meant.

19. Calxiyn Keyblade Master

Lol it's fine. That wasn't exactly where I was going so I was confused XD[DOUBLEPOST=1469741016][/DOUBLEPOST]Saying things pre-emptively has not gone well for me in the past lol, I would keep that in mind.

20. al215 Kingdom Keeper

It's a good point you raise there.

Yeah, no more essay posts on what you think the grand Mafia plan is :P

As you pointed out, it's not a bad thing to only have one lover. The self serving is also a valid point, though that might be down to relative inexperience with the game.

The problem with lynching the quietest players at any given time is that they might be connected to someone important. It's a question of how we want to operate - Do we want to try to minimise damages caused by lynching people based on how many people they're paired to, or do we want to do it by who is the quietest?

Midnight sums it up wonderfully here and I wholeheartedly agree with her plan here. We need to decide who is Mafia the same way as usual because otherwise we will talk to no end and not do much lynching as we try to carefully dance around the numbers and probabilities.

At least, at this stage.

I'd say that later on in the game, we ought to be more careful as the numbers drop. For every Mafia we lynch, there is either one or two Town Members lost. We ought to consider the numbers more later when there are fewer of us, however at the moment I think that Midnight is right and instinct is our best guide.

I can't remember who it was last game, I think it may have been Judge, but exploring more than one case at the same time is ultimately more beneficial for Town. The more information, the more informed we are when we choose a lynch target.

And yes, Mafia speculation is a little bit of a waste of time because it seems to descend into WIFOM and it doesn't provide much information. While Cal's MO post last game wasn't entirely wrong, I don't think it really helped the Town decide on who was guilty in the end. What it came down to was slip ups and the Cop's cunning gambit.

Spot on.