Gurren Lagann

Discussion in 'Anime and Manga' started by Plums, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Plums Wakanda Forever

[There isn't a thread about this? D: What is this I don't even]

Stardust got me watching it last week or so, and it's pretty great. It's not revolutionary, but it's not another copy-paste plot either. Simon and Kamina are a great team, imo. Kamina displays the unwavering determination that Simon needs, and Simon is the brighter bulb out of the two of them. AND THE MUSIC. THE MUSIC. <3

Opinions on the show?

2. P Banned

How far are you? Things get pretty intense. If you hang around here, it'll be very spoilery.

3. Plums Wakanda Forever

I am about the sixth episode? (School is very possesive. :c )

And I don't plan on hanging around long: You, Star and GS are free to tear into it. :'D

4. Guardian Soul hella sad & hella rad

It becomes revolutionary in a few episodes. Just hang in there.

Of course :'D

Gurren Lagann is up there in my Top 5 favorite animes and it's a show that I'd recommend to anybody. Gainax really outdid themselves when they made this show. I love everything about it such as the characters, the theme, the music, the over-the-top fight scenes between mecha, and how it becomes exponentially more awesome with each episode(which actually fits pretty well with the Spiral theme of the story). I still need to watch the compilation movies though. Are they any good?

5. Bushy "Don't think. Imagine!"

This exactly my sort of thread :P
    I've re-watched Gurren Lagann so many times now lol
    Movies en'all.

I'm even playing the parts of Simon and Kamina in an RP XD

You will enjoy what is to come Plums, you can be sure of that XD So amazing! ¦3

Meanwhile... I demand you all be jealous of this picture I got with an awesome Yoko at the Expo!
    [​IMG]

6. Stardust Chaser

Bushy-Brow, consider me jealous D8 I want to steal those boots...

But yaaay, a GL thread! IMO while it is not revolutionary within the first few episodes, the second half makes it just that. It's one of those few series with a second part that not only improves upon the first, but also makes the first part better in itself when looking back, at least for me.
    I honestly hadn't expected to be that impressed with it when I first started it, but now I can probably say that it's one of my top five series.

@GS - The movies are good, I wish there were a few more new scenes though. Understandably they had to crush the plot so much that it doesn't always make completely coherent sense, but I think Gainax did the best they could with that. They're worth seeing however, if only for those few moments with the new animation, as it looks beatiful.

7. Cloud3514 Kingdom Keeper

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
    Eh, no it really doesn't. Gurren Lagann is a reconstructive parody of the super robot genre and while it is incredibly fun, incredibly well made and very good, it is by no means revolutionary. Everything Gurren Lagann did had been done long before. People often call it the "anti-Evangelion" and I would be inclined to agree, but GaoGaiGar was the anti-Evangelion for years before Gurren Lagann.

YouTube the final fight scene and you'll see the only thing really worth watching those movies for. They're basically giant clip shows to condense the series into two movies. There is very little new footage.

8. Guardian Soul hella sad & hella rad

Very true and I agree with you there; it was a bad choice of words on my part. What I really wanted to express though was that there will be a revolution or complete change in the story in a few episodes from Ep. 6 because you know
    Kamina dies and both the story and Simon's character development really kick off from there.

9. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

While I have never really been a fan of the Mech genre, I really enjoyed Gurren Lagann. I just watched it starting on monday and blitzed through it. I loved it ... mostly. I liked the theme and the music, and also I felt that characters were multidimensional and not at all perfect (they had flaws). There was just one thing that irked me a little, well two things really. Firstly, the ending felt so abrupt! It was literally Killing the anti-spirals, the wedding/Nia's death, then a jump 20 odd years into the future for the epilogue! I hate that in anime, I hate timejumps like that. That was the other thing that annoyed me. I liked the first "Part" a lot more than the second because I liked the theme of the rebellion and fighting for survival on earth against the spiral king a lot more than the antisprial arc. I really dislike when they do timeskips like that, because I feel I have lost some character development. I would have appreciated it a lot more had it been a second season instead of just part of the same series, but that's just a personal nitpick. All in all though, I really enjoyed it, although I don't know if much other mech is like it, so I'm not sure it's the genre for me ...

10. Plums Wakanda Forever

I just finished it this past weekend. And I am pretty sure it is one of my favorite animes ever.

Simon changed drastically from Episode One. I barely recognized any part of his original personality by the ending. It seemed as though he took it upon himself to become the Kamina that everyone believed in, to become something that he himself could believe in too.

Speaking of Kamina, his death almost made me cry. But it was his fault as well, since he had kissed Yoko RIGHT IN FRONT of Simon (unknowingly). Not to mention he let his guard down right atop the enemy ship. Seeing him comeback in Episode 26 was really nice; we got to see him give one last motivational speech to Simon, and even got to see a scene of the grown up Simon with him.

Overall, the series was really worth it. The themes didn't seem to big at first, but when the Anti-Spirals get introduced, you finally realize just how heavy handed the motif of the drill and the meaning of the spiral is. ...Not to mention, I now feel tempted to unleash all of my Spiral Energy and make physics my *****. :'D

11. Cloudrunner62 Twilight Town Denizen

Easily in my top 5 as well. Lagann-hen especially was epic due in large part to the multitude of Tengen Toppa mechas and of course Super Tengen Toppa. They pretty much remake the universe there.

12. ShibuyaGato Transformation

I just started watching this anime late last night. I'm only on the third episode but I can already tell that this will be worth sticking with to the end. Simon and Kamina are by far one of the best duos I've ever seen in any series.

A little side note: thank you Netflix for having 75 different anime for me to pick from!