Gamestop, please stop making yourself more hateable

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by Hayabusa, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Hayabusa Venomous

2. A Zebra Chaser

It's almost like they're on the edge of irrelevance and are willing to do anything to make a few extra bucks
    stuff like this is so easy to get away with too, because people always blame the victim, saying they shouldn't have gotten the card

3. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

It's almost like publishers like their asshole and enjoy the fell of GameStop's fecal matter, is working alongside devs for preorder bonuses, has stores EVERYWHERE, and runs the only gaming magazine left that's not fanmade.

Man, so irrelevant. I'm so glad that a store that sells nothing but video games and video game paraphernalia is hated among the FREAKIN' VIDEO GAME COMMUNITY.

Ya know, it's not like you have to buy these things guys. It's not like you can't shop at GameStop and say "Nope, don't want this credit card," "Nope, don't want this warranty," and "Nope, got nothing to preorder." Guess what? They'll treat ya nicely. They'll still let you buy games. The store doesn't rob you on your way out.

I personally have never had a bad GameStop experience. The employees are always kind, relaxed, and willing to talk. They peel stickers off the cases for me, and let me know if they have a game in case with manual before I buy it. And in fact, I'm happy this credit card exists. No, really. Why? Because I've worked in retail. I've had to suggest credit cards to people so they could afford the exact solution they wanted. In most cases, they had a YEAR before interest kicked in. It wasn't immediate, it was a year and it gauged by if they spent over $300. If you can't pay $300 OVER A YEAR, I don't care WHAT APR they're charging, you had plenty of time seeing as that's FIVE DOLLARS A WEEK. Stop being a shitty consumer and just taking people on deals without knowing what you can and what you can't. If GameStop's credit card works ANYTHING like that, I will freakin' drive down there and camp outside the store until I get approved because it is the ONLY WAY I'm going to afford a new console. APR be damned.

4. Nate_River Hollow Bastion Committee

Is it wrong to blame someone for making a stupid decision of their own volition?

5. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

Seriously. That's not victim blaming guys. It's not like rape where they didn't have a say in the matter, or murder. They had a CHOICE PRESENTED TO THEM, they had time to make the decision, work out the math, etc and weigh it against their current budgets and they CHOSE not to and then they missed the window where there's no interest and got hit by the rising costs. It's THEIR fault. This is how credit works in the real world.

6. Nate_River Hollow Bastion Committee

My name is the consumer and it's never my fault

7. Hayabusa Venomous

Eh, maybe I should get this closed. I honestly don't know how to justify my thinking of how this is really that bad :\

8. Fearless A good and beautiful child

I shop at GameStop sometimes and honestly I'm pretty in the middle. I don't do preorders there anymore (since amazon is better for that imo), but GameStop is where I get a majority of my games.

Also there's this clerk there that I like flirting with.

9. Iskandar King of Conquerors

Am I the only one in the world that reads these things and wonders "If you guys don't like it so much, why don't you just go to another store"? I go to Gamestop all the time, and I've never had a problem. I think I've even mentioned this before, my Gamestop is pretty cool. I don't know what it is people hate, but I enjoy gamestop. Plus it's the best place to get games around where I live, since Walmart and Target carry maybe 10% of the things they carry

10. 61 No. B

it's times like these that i'm glad i don't identify as a gamer

11. burnitup Still the Best 1973

What are you then? A video game enthusiast?

12. C This silence is mine

The worst part about Gamespot is how they handle their games. Why do they take them out of the boxes and put tons of stickers on them?

13. A Zebra Chaser

it's built to be manipulative, sure a person CAN find out about this, but it's designed to tick people into making the mistake. It's like they said in the article, they'll aggressively market it, they'll hide the problems. and that's what I hate about this, people will just say "they had a choice" and completely ignore the part where they're trying to exploit people
    Like it's crazy, you give a company even a little leeway and suddenly they're not the bad guy anymore, can't be just agree the customer is stupid and the company is evil?

14. libregkd -

15. Fearless A good and beautiful child

Thing is, sometimes Gamestop is all there is, especially if you're in a rural area. In my town, the only game shop besides Gamestop is a locally owned used game store. And that store mostly carries retro games (they have soooooooo many SNES games), so for newer games, Gamestop is still really the only place (because, as you said, Walmart and Target are terrible in that area).

16. Trigger hewwo uwu

i wish there were more video game retailers in america. i know best buy and such exist, but i'd really like another dedicated video games store to directly compete with gamestop.

17. Nate_River Hollow Bastion Committee

As with anything, the negative sides aren't advertised, and as as with anything that will make a company money, they'll push it hard. At the end of the day, if you've been managing to get by without this card, then you PROBABLY don't need it. Don't sign up for it, especially if you don't know enough about it.

18. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

Let them push it. It's not like they out a gun to your head and yell LET US RUN YOUR CREDIT!!!! You still have to say yes to it. They can not advertise the interest rate, but they can't make me say yes without weighing my choices. People are allowed to be at fault. They're not a victim for making a conscious choice.

Again, I'm totally down for them having a credit card. If it's a year no interest, it's $10.87 a week for an Xbox One. If it's six months no interest, it's around $21 a week. If I don't be a smart consumer and take advantage of this, it's $550 (after tax) in a day. I can afford two of those options. I don't live with my parents, I don't have a free ride and get to save up. All at once is too much for me and results in me having no shelter or food. Maybe you've never been poor before, but I'll tell ya that if it wasn't for credit cards, my mother never would've been able to afford us Christmas presents every year. Wal-Mart credit card included.

19. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

I've been to Gamestop in the US a few times and, on the whole, I found their service much like dog poop.