Square-Enix Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Amaury, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

I'm surprised no one's made a thread for this yet considering it's a Square Enix game.

What do you like and dislike about the game? How do you think its story, gameplay mechanics, etc. were?

2. Patman Bof

I remember its Dragon Ballesque humor and Yangus, the rest of the cast and the actual plot were pretty forgettable.

Gameplay-wise it wasn' t memorable either. Not that it sucked, it' s just that pretty graphics aside it didn' t have anything special going for him compared to the other DQ I' ve played.

3. Ɍeno Traverse Town Homebody

The first Dragon Quest I ever played and one of the most memorable.

The cell shaded graphics were absolutely gorgeous. Gameplay was simple but kept to it's old school roots providing the player with a solid challenge. Ton's of extra content with the Dragovian Trials being the most memorable.

One of my favourites from the PS2, and I really hope they'll release a HD remaster/remake.

Yangus's accent ftw

4. Amaury Legendary Hero

So, how did you guys come across the game?

I personally saw a demo of it at the Shopko in Yakima one day and played it. Then my mom and I asked the clerk in electronics department what it was, and she told us. Shortly after, as in not the same day, we went to a game shop in Yakima and got it, and it came with a Final Fantasy XI demo.

There's just one thing I still don't get it: I'm sure you guys know the dreaded Wave of Ice ability, which nullifies all positive buffs and tension, bosses have starting at Dhoulmagus, and on my game when that happens, it says, "[Boss] is enveloped in a wave of ice," but on some walkthroughs / let's plays I've seen on YouTube, it said, "[Boss] generates a disruptive wave of energy." I think there was one other difference, but I don't remember.

5. Patman Bof

I had known about the series for years, reading import tests in magazines and articles explaining the release of a DQ was a major event in Japan. Big enough to have the government make a law forbidding a DQ to be released on a school day. Besides I was a huge DB fan, it was hard not to notice Akira Toriyama was DQ' s chara designer.

I found it curious a series that big in Japan barely reached the US and didn' t even reach Europe at all (up until 8). I suppose Enix had even less faith that turn based could be a thing outside of Japan than Square did.

I didn' t own a PS2 yet when 8 was released but when I finally bought one I bought a slew of games with it, DQ8 was among them. I had already played DQ6 on emulators a few years before and have since played 4, 5 and 9.

As for the spells thing judging by the wording alone I assume one is about your buffs and the other is about his debuffs.

6. Amaury Legendary Hero

Here's an example -- watch from 0:39 to 0:52:

That's "...is enveloped in a wave of ice."

Watch from 2:09 to 2:21 here:

That's "...generates a disruptive wave of energy."

Both are the exact same thing, but, for some reason, on some copies of the game it's the former; on other copies of the game it's the latter.

7. ReverofEnola King's Apprentice

Like:
    • Main character's past
    • COLD BLIMEY!
    • You can choose their weapons/skills
    • The story has more than one ending.
    • LV. 65 for the Hero
    Dislikes:
    • Game ended to quickly
    • The main villian is a bit weird...and chubby.

8. Glen Returned from the dead

It was the first dragon quest game i'd ever played, and it opened my eyes to a series that I was missing out on. The soundtrack, which is a big thing for me in gaming, wasn't anything special but the combination of the battle style with the cel shaded graphics just drew me in. It really reminded me of the older rpg games, and while I like how things go now that kind of graphic feel was nice to experience again. Since that game, I have purchased four more dragon quest games and to my delight they've all had that same graphics feel to them. This game was truly spectacular and I am extremely happy I found it :)