does it

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by 61, Aug 1, 2015.

1. 61 No. B

bug anyone else when the image on the spine of a book has been printed off-center

why does this happen

and why does it kill me a little inside

2. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

It's possible that it's not actually printed off center, but instead that it's been bound or cut off center. Because it's actually pretty likely that you have the covers printed in bulk on one large piece of cardboard and then after that they are all cut by a machine and bound to the contents. Each of these steps can be just a little off because no machine is perfect at its job and even with quality checkers at the end of the assembly line you never know if they checked that book from the batch or if that even violates the standards they're holding all copies to.

3. Laurence_Fox Chaser

Not really no. Since there's so many steps involved in making that book.

4. Hayabusa Venomous

Another reason to only have digital books???

5. 61 No. B

you can't be serious

6. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

7. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

8. Hayabusa Venomous

What's wrong with reading a digital version of the same exact work?

9. 61 No. B

digital books dont pile up on a shelf to be admired as a collection
    they just take up space and inevitably get deleted

10. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

You can't touch the book. There's no sound of pages being turned, or the feeling of a well loved book's cover crackling beneath your fingers. There's no smell of musty paper, or the weight of it on your lap. You don't have to hold a book light to read under the covers, and you don't have to worry about paper cuts. You don't get to watch your collection of hardcovers and paperbacks grow on the shelves of your home. You can't proudly display the covers of an entire series, or buy cute little book ends to hold them together. You can't go into your little home grown library, letting your fingers slide across the bindings until you decide to pick up a book that you haven't read in years.

Instead, you power on your tablet, slide your fingers across a bacteria filled screen as your eyes strain to read the black words against a white background. There is no sound as you turn the pages, and your library isn't defined by the number of shelves, but the amount of gigabytes in your device. When that space becomes full, or overwhelming, you simply delete a book. When you want to find a specific title, you just have to type in the title in the search bar.
    You're limited by a battery that will eventually run out, tying you to a plug in.

Yeah, you can read the same exact thing in a different way. Whatever floats your boat. But nothing will be able to replace the sheer poetry of reading an actual book.

11. Hayabusa Venomous

Well...this is awkward...I feel nothing toward having a physical copy of a book, other than "I hope I never get any water on it."

12. 61 No. B

what about physical games and music and movies?
    im pretty much opposed to digital being my primary copy of anything unless it's something from torrent
    but if you're not like that i understand why a physical book wouldn't matter

13. Hayabusa Venomous

Physical copies for console games, sure. It's easy to lend my copy to a friend that way, since Sony became fucksboys and limited the sharing of an account's downloads to two systems from five.

Physical copies for PC games, doesn't matter that much to me, especially since it seems to be a lot tougher to get physical copies nowadays. I share my Steam library with people all the time. It's especially easier to go digital with how much cheaper it is. This is the main reason why I barely own any Wii U or 3DS or PS4 games.

Basically, if I'm paying full price for a game, I'll generally get a physical copy. But with how pricy games are, I don't often get them full price. Last time I did was Bloodborne, and that came out in March.

Unless I'm collecting a series, I don't generally care for buying movies anyway. If I do buy them, it's physical.

Music, I always buy CD's, since that way I can rip them in the highest quality (for a CD, of course.)

Now for books (this includes graphic novels and comics,) I'll only care about getting a physical copy if it's a collection. Like my copy of Watchmen. But if it's a one-off, digital.

14. 61 No. B

i will never be a pc gamer because i dont play enough video games and i probably wont ever have a pc capable, but that is the one instance where i would prefer digital to physical. if it's a computer that i use basically all the damn time there's no need to have a disc.
    but i love physical copies for singles. preferring digital for singles is this totally foreign mentality to me or something
    on some basic level i find longboxes full of bagged and boarded pretty arousing

15. Hayabusa Venomous

When it comes to movies and books, I'm more of a collector. Buying single issues for multiple parts of a series will almost always cost more than just buying the collection version.

Basically I go with the frugal route most of the time.

16. Misty gimme kiss

I love having physical copies of books because I love buying used books with notes left in them by previous owners. Even if it's just something small written in the margin, I love to see what others are thinking while they read or simply what they've left (I found a grocery list in a library book once). It's fascinating. My copy of Adverbs by Daniel Handler also had a number of people leave post-its within, with their thoughts on the book. Really great stuff.

I also like displaying them on my shelves and lending them out to friends.

17. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

My old roommate was part of something (Nerdfighter, I think?) and they left messages to each other in specific books in the college library. I don't think they had any idea who they were talking to.